• Public school...

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Jeremy+3 said:
Wealth, job type and the education of both parents, its not whether you agree or disagree, its a fact. When you look at a pupils achievement it matches their parents life achievement, that is why very poor children with uneducated parents always leave school with a very poor education, even those attending some of the best schools in the world.
Jeremy+3 said:
We aren't talking about the third world Singledad, we're talking about the developed world, as that is where Antoinette lives.

I'm another one who is going to take a little issue to the use of the word "always" and seeing as you referenced "where Antoinette lives" which also happens to be where I live, I thought I would throw in a little anecdotal evidence.

Both of my husband's parents both dropped out of high school, his mother at 14, his father at 15, while he was growing up, they lived in government housing, because they were well under the poverty line, his mother was a cashier at a supermarket and his father was a cleaner.

My husband has a bachelors degree and two diplomas, his older sister has a bachelors and his younger sister has a doctorate.

My parents were wealthy, however discouraged me from education, because women are not to be educated, they are to be homemakers, I went to tafe (I believe you guys call it community college) off my own back and now have two diplomas.

It most certainly is possible if personal drive is there.

If it is ALWAYS the case then how is it that you have people saying things like "He/she is the first one in the family to graduate" "He/she is the first one in the family to get a degree" and so on?

If it is ALWAYS the case should half of Dita's friends cancel their university/tafe applications right now based on their parent's educational status, seeing as they are all applying for tertiary education at the moment?

I have no doubt that there is a proportion of people who follow in their parent's footsteps in terms of a lack of education, however I know for a "fact" (seeing as we are throwing the word around without any actual evidence) that "always" is not that proportion.

Meanwhile, I suspect this entire tangent is redundant to Antoinette's original question, seeing as she is putting so much thought into her children's education, I think we can all assume that she is going to actively support them in achieving educational goals.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree. Cyble

It is in the debate section: so some education discussion. I don't think Ann will mind a little debate.

I do think it is going to be an indicator. Just not as significant as 85%.

I dont know the word to use. But I also think its value as an indicator will diminish with each consecutive level of education. Or as the education level of a person increases. social circumstances will become less of a predictor. I know there is a descriptive word that would describe this. Just at a loss for it right now. And no I can not back up any of this. Just rusty gears rolling around in my head.

To take it one step further. Again struggling with words here. My grandparents improved upon the conditions they were raised in. My parents improved upon the conditions they were raised in. And my brother has a masters, I have some college. Both are in better circumstances than my mother and father were at our age. Using the 85% predictor we would have maintained a more level line of education and income.

Also we could take away from the 85% that since the economies of many countries as of late: have been under at least some stress. Test scores and education would follow that trend down. Which I do not see.

I can see if a person were to be raised in despair it would be easy to adopt a disparaging attitude or lifestyle. More likely if that person lived in a bubble and did not see opportunities available outside of that despair.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Is this material just "copyrighted" or actually privileged? Because you can quote excerpts from copyrighted material, if you credit it properly, for educational purposes or for criticizing and commenting. You don't need to contact the publishers for permission to cite it in an online forum. It falls under fair use doctrine. Now if it's preliminary or unpublished research, or otherwise confidential, that's a different story; otherwise, let's see it!

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
parentastic said:
One thing I learned in my Masters is that human being don't really learn the way the traditional schooling system wants to teach. Sadly, there isn't much education in the traditional education system.
Yet education is critical! So it would depend on the school program, on the teachers, on the depth of the rapport they can or can't create with children, on their ability to follow or stifle the children's thirst for curiosity and learning, etc...
I have to agree, though for additional reasons. Our whole society is set up to create a peer dependency very early, and we didn't want to feed into that because everything about it is wrong for families and wrong for society.

We homeschooled our children until high school, and even sending the oldest to a "good" high school had some serious downsides. Our oldest is now in a selective gifted high school, but we paid a price in our family for sending her off to become peer-addicted, and are working to backtrack on some of that now.

Many fond memories of the early years, the freedom to take vacations at odd times, the fun of dancing to geography songs, the actual education, the co-op days, and classes and parties. I will never forget when our oldest said once, at about 9 or 10, "If you weren't home with us, you wouldn't even really know us". So true. The days are long but the years are short and you don't get a do-over.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
Jeremy+3 said:
Wealth, job type and the education of both parents, its not whether you agree or disagree, its a fact. When you look at a pupils achievement it matches their parents life achievement, that is why very poor children with uneducated parents always leave school with a very poor education, even those attending some of the best schools in the world.
This does not have to be true. Look up Dr. Ben Carson, a pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins. His brother excelled as well.

His mother raised them in the projects and she had a 3rd grade education.

She turned off the TV and made them read two books a week and write a book report on each, even though she herself was illiterate.

No doubt that those who have educated parents are at an advantage, but lots of things can be overcome if someone is determined enough, like Ben Carson's mom.