Sex Offenders In YOUR Neighbourhood...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
1dayatatime said:
Jtee while I agree don't forget about women sex offenders. Thats probably why the flyer's that go out have the charges on then as well as a slight description of what happened. IE....."sexual assault asgainst his 12 yo niece." That kinda thing. There's a different between stupidity and sexual perversion.
Now that I think about it, the one flyer I have seen that was posted in our neighborhood 5+ years ago did have description of the sex crime(s) that had been committed. And in that case the man had history of several date rapes.

As far women offenders, locally Mary Kay Laterno is probably the most well known female offender (married teacher) who seduced a 6 grade boy into having sex and she became pregnant. My guess is that women offenders are fewer and also not as visible or reported.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
jtee said:
My guess is that women offenders are fewer and also not as visible or reported.
Unfortunately and as wrong as it is, I think that there is still that "more socially acceptable" thing with woman offenders and I don't think it's reported as often. For example, a male student may brag to his friends or feel like a cool kid because his teacher made advances.

I think the world is still catching up on the double standard.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
As long as women are viewed as the weaker sex the standard will apply. Honestly the majority of us are "weaker". I'm not as physically strong as most men. I can not tolerate violent/vulgar images or talk. Not saying women sex offenders are any less disgustiing.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
The last I heard they did have two children together. Very very strange.

What is interesting from a public acceptance perspective is that their relationship is not perceived as being all the harmful/bad as compared as if the teacher would have been a married (male) school teacher who seduces 6th grade girl and got her pregnant, then married her after she turn 18. Such a man would have spent 20+ years in jail (justified), while Mary Kay spent just a few years.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
jtee said:
The last I heard they did have two children together. Very very strange.

What is interesting from a public acceptance perspective is that their relationship is not perceived as being all the harmful/bad as compared as if the teacher would have been a married (male) school teacher who seduces 6th grade girl and got her pregnant, then married her after she turn 18. Such a man would have spent 20+ years in jail (justified), while Mary Kay spent just a few years.
Wasn't that because she was pregnant? If she's in jail how can she be the mommy? For some reason the government thinks a mommy has to be in control of a childs life. There are a TON of dads that could do the same job.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Holy cow! I just found this site, not sure how accurate, but it got my attention:

though Canadian statistics show an alarmingly high rate of sexual abuse by women (a range of 59% - 80%) in the backgrounds of rapists, sex offenders and sexually aggressive men (Matthews, 1996, p. 30<SIZE size="75">1</SIZE>).

Female Sex Offenders

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
HappyMomma said:
Unfortunately and as wrong as it is, I think that there is still that "more socially acceptable" thing with woman offenders and I don't think it's reported as often. For example, a male student may brag to his friends or feel like a cool kid because his teacher made advances.

I think the world is still catching up on the double standard.
It is a double standard, and guys are more likely consider it as bragging rights if they were to do something that is considered sexually outrageous and daring within their peer group.

A girl (say high school age) might also think it cool to do the exact same thing, but people looking from the outside see it very differently. The girl is perceived as being harmed or being taken advantage of, yet a boy in the same position is not.

There is going to be justified differences because male and female are not same, and what motivates each sex will never be identical.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
You can't really take it into consideration when it comes to the safety of your children but there are a LOT of people that are convicted on false allegations. There is now way for us to know those form the others so we have to assume they are all a threat.

I do feel sorry for those that were though. I couldn't imagine not only doing time for something I didn't do but also have to that label on me for the rest of my life. It happens more than most people might think.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Good Wolf said:
You can't really take it into consideration when it comes to the safety of your children but there are a LOT of people that are convicted on false allegations.
It is indeed scary for any guy. It's one of a guys biggest fears is to have someone pointing the finger saying "That's the guy who made me do.....". And even if the guy gets a good lawyer and that is able to keep him out of jail because he is innocent, the false allegations are likely to follow him for years to come.

Several years ago when I was single and living in an apartment an 4 year old girl who was playing outside alone knocked on my door and asked if she could come in. I was friendly, but I told her I was busy and she should play outside. Out of the blue she asked me if I had a big bed and started talking Beds. I have no idea why she wanted talk about beds, but 4 year olds love to talk about a lot of random things. The scary part of course is that if she had gone home and her mom had asked her where she had been, etc, etc and the little girl said something to the effect of "I was next door talking with JTee and we talked about his big bed..." You can bet within 30 minutes I would have had police officer at my door asking me if I would come downtown and answer a few questions as why I was talking about big beds with a 4 year old girl. In my case nothing happened, and the little girl most likely completely forgot about it a few seconds later. If things had gone in the wrong direction, how does a man defend himself against a 4 year old saying "We were talking about big beds?". The 4 year old is not lying yet I would have been forced explain this very odd story to police officers who are skeptical about men who talk to little girls about anything.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
jtee said:
People tend to think in extremes when it comes to sex offenders, picturing them ruthless creeps that, like alcoholics, are addicted to sex, and live for their next sexual attack.

Many years ago I worked as an aid to a superior court judge, and frequently there were men arrested for various minor sex crimes, most often it was having sexual contact with girls under the age of 18. . .

Technically they were sex offenders, but in reality these men weren't creepy crawlers who preyed on girlswomen and were not at any risk to do so in the future. They were just plain stupid in getting involved with girls (&lt;18) who were attracted to older men.
this is a VERY good point! Look at Jami Lynn Spears. In many states, ( I don't know about LA or CA), her boyfriend could have been been found to be a sex offender. He would have the same label as some sicko found fondling little boys or girls. That's really sad to me.
Even worse - what about those kids (13 &amp; 14, if I recall correctly) who had sex, she got pregnant and now they are BOTH sex offenders. That's just WRONG!! (I'll look that story up and provide the link if I can find it)
Nobody is served by some 18 year old kid being labeled as such because some 17-year-old girl's parents are angry about the choices SHE made. There needs to be another way to handle this stuff. You don't want people being victimized or coerced, but some of this is ridiculous,

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
I guess I can't say what I would really do, as then there would be evidence that it premeditated and that would make the charges worse....if ya get my point!

If I had the money, I'd just hire someone!

These people don't deserve to EVER be released. And I don't know why they spend our tax dollars on "rehabilitation" for them, as it DOES NOT work...so WTF eh!

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I wouldn't do a thing different than I do now other than watch my neighbors a bit more closely than I already do. My kids aren't out of my sight when they're outside. We live out in the country and the nearest other children are way down the street and we don't even know them.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
Amber said:
I wouldn't do a thing different than I do now other than watch my neighbors a bit more closely than I already do. My kids aren't out of my sight when they're outside. We live out in the country and the nearest other children are way down the street and we don't even know them.
You know what is really sad - the fact that now a days, we have to watch our kids outside. Do you remember when you were 7 to 12 years old, and your parents let you roam around with your friends in the neighbourhood? I do, we lived in the country...major farm country, and even in the same place I grew up, I wouldn't let my kid out of my sight either!

I wish it was the same now a days, but it's just NOT!

Kudos to you Amber for watching your kids outside even in the country - there still are many people who feel as though "oh let them be kids, they'll be fine, nothing like that happens around here"!

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
budnkota said:
what about those kids (13 &amp; 14, if I recall correctly) who had sex, she got pregnant and now they are BOTH sex offenders. That's just WRONG!! (I'll look that story up and provide the link if I can find it)
Yes, in most states, if not all, it is illegal for to have sex if you are under a specific age. In some states it is 18 years old, in others it is 16. In other words, if two 16 year olds have consensual sex, they are breaking the law.

OK..... that is the law, but we all know the reality is the teen years is when some kids become sexually active, and nobody is thrown in jail. While the issue of teen sex is serious issue, nobody considers it a sex crime.

We have a 12 year old daughter and she's aware that it is illegal in our state for her be having sex before she's 16. As parents, we perfectly fine with being able also point to laws in our state about underage sex. At 12, she not thinking "That's not fair....." she just accepts it as being the law. Of course as she get older, she'll develop her own opinion about it and come to realize that despite being illegal, teenager do have sex and they are not prosecuted when caught.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Barbi.doll said:
You know what is really sad - the fact that now a days, we have to watch our kids outside. Do you remember when you were 7 to 12 years old, and your parents let you roam around with your friends in the neighbourhood? I do, we lived in the country...major farm country, and even in the same place I grew up, I wouldn't let my kid out of my sight either!

I wish it was the same now a days, but it's just NOT!

Kudos to you Amber for watching your kids outside even in the country - there still are many people who feel as though "oh let them be kids, they'll be fine, nothing like that happens around here"!
It is no different than it was back then. The only difference is the media tells about every singe incident so now everyone is paranoid.

There was just as many abductions, rapes, murders, and crime in general when we were growing up. You just didn't have it thrown in your face multiple times a day from multiple media sources.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Good Wolf said:
It is no different than it was back then. The only difference is the media tells about every singe incident so now everyone is paranoid.

There was just as many abductions, rapes, murders, and crime in general when we were growing up. You just didn't have it thrown in your face multiple times a day from multiple media sources.
I'm not sure about this. I think things were terrible back when I was a teen, but I do seriously think there are a lot more crimes being committed these days. Take my hometown...crime rose drastically in 5 years time. Perhaps it had a lot to do with people actually reporting it, but it rose, nonetheless.

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
Kaytee said:
it is scary. But I don't personally think websites that tell you where they loive is effecient. To me the best thing to do, is just inform your children of the dangers and be proactive in their lives.
Agreed

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
meow_173 said:
I think that the police should notify a community if a sex offender was moving into their area
I agree!

When we had one move NEXT DOOR to me we had a cop come over but it was MONTHS after the man moved there!