• Only mild profanity allowed....

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • You're such a twat....

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I'll be the first to admit I have a potty mouth. I try to watch myself on the PF, though.

Should we allow people to swear here?
Only mild swear words?
Ban people for swearing?
See about getting a language filter?

Please list any and all swear words you can think of so I can be sure they get added to the filter.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I have no problem with profanity in general conversation. I don't think it should be allowed to be used to call others names though.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I'm not offended at all by profanity and will admit that I swear far too much. I don't think many youngsters would view this forum regularly, but it a family forum, so inappropriate language can be an issue. I just hate censorship. Too bad, sometimes even adults can't behave. I say allow it, but agree with the others that it should not be used to insult others.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I just use the :censored: emoticon...but don't have any problem with profanity as long as it's not out of control. Just don't direct it at someone in a mean way. Maybe let it be okay in the general chat area, but not in the parenting places.

Don't put on a filter!

Would the filter affect pm's too? That would really stink.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
FooserX said:
I just use the :censored: emoticon...but don't have any problem with profanity as long as it's not out of control. Just don't direct it at someone in a mean way. Maybe let it be okay in the general chat area, but not in the parenting places.

Don't put on a filter!

Would the filter affect pm's too? That would really stink.
That isn't a bad idea but then we get into the policing it too much and hurting people's feeling by being too strict. I think it has to be an all or none and if someone is using it in excess we can slap them on the wrist and break out the soap.

One thing we have to conisder is that it will most certainly turn some people off, both new members and prospective members. What do we have to gain from allowing it and what do we have to lose?

I already voted for mild profanity but the more I think about it I'm a wavering.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I voted mild profanity. Quite often my kids are in the room with me, and they know how to read.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
FooserX said:
Well Sirk is new, so let's just all cut her some slack.
I wasn't intending to point fingers or name names, just stating something in general. I've surfed the internet for a long time and am quite familiar with forums, there are always trolls and always drama, no matter who it comes from. I just find it amusing that because of the facelessness of the internet arguments seem to ignite much quicker and be more intense than in real life.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Good Wolf said:
I already voted for mild profanity but the more I think about it I'm a wavering.
The hard part comes in with who decides what's mild and what's not.
Someone could use a word that they thought was mild and have people obsess about said word instead of the main issue.

hypothetically... :eek:

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Yes the filter would affect Pms too. Atleast it did in another v bulletin forum. then again we were dealing with tons of teenagers. So it might be an optional thing.

I agree there is just things you need to let out and or to get point of something across mild swearing ( to actually to get to know the person you are talking to and what they are thinking) should be allowed.

Though I do believe the Funk word should be censored like F*** or changed to Funk :)

The C word used for female genitilia should never ever be used.
I think B ( female dog ) is ok on accasion Like " it was a total B** to open that baby toy package" or something like that lol.
I kept mine edited to respect those I know who do not want to read them and do thier best to ignore or skip the stuff they do not agree with.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
As a personal favor to me, when I say a naughty word can you give me bad rep? Then maybe I'll learn to catch myself.