SIDS and PPD...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm going to start a separate thread for this because I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Do you think there is a link between mothers with PPD and SIDS cases?

I personally think that there should be a study on this.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hannah's mommy said:
I never really thought about it. I didnt have PPD, thank God. Do you think there is a correlation?
I could definitely see how someone with PPD could easily use SIDS as a way out.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
I could definitely see how someone with PPD could easily use SIDS as a way out.
I agree...that's not to say I don't think SIDS is a very real problem, I just think that sometimes it's to easily given as an explanation

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Good question. But how could they prove if a mother suffocated her child or if the child died due to too many blankets/toys in the crib?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
I agree...that's not to say I don't think SIDS is a very real problem, I just think that sometimes it's to easily given as an explanation
The thing is that when a baby dies, the worst next thing that could happen would be the parents getting investigated. Like you said, SIDS is a very real problem in many instances and investigating "innocent" parents would be highly inappropriate. That's why it would be so easy for a depressed mother to get away with it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
When someone is strangled or suffocated there are signs. The blood vessels in the lungs, blood in the eyes. You can tell if it was a gasping for air or an accidental suffocation. Or just died in their sleep, the heart just stops.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
When someone is strangled or suffocated there are signs. The blood vessels in the lungs, blood in the eyes. You can tell if it was a gasping for air or an accidental suffocation. Or just died in their sleep, the heart just stops.
An infant's neck is very weak. I doubt you would have to press down very hard to leave visible proof of strangulation or suffocation.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa, is there something you want to share? This isn't normal conversation for a new mom. What's going on? You kinda have me worried and freaked out a bit.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
Lissa, is there something you want to share? This isn't normal conversation for a new mom. What's going on? You kinda have me worried and freaked out a bit.
Don't be worried or freaked out. I don't have PPD anymore. But sadly, when I did, I thought about these things. :( That's why I seriously think there should be a study done.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
They have done study's. I haven't kept up but I know they do them. Ok just wanted to make sure you were alright. whew.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I had PPD but it was never severe enough to think about stuff like that, thank god. But I can definately see your point.

I just read a book about Andrea Yates. Very sad. :(

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
They have done study's. I haven't kept up but I know they do them. Ok just wanted to make sure you were alright. whew.
But no studies done on SIDS babies and mothers with histories of depression.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Amber said:
I had PPD but it was never severe enough to think about stuff like that, thank god. But I can definately see your point.

I just read a book about Andrea Yates. Very sad. :(
I didn't know there was a book. I don't know if I want to read it. It'd bring back to many bad memories.

I was completely psychotic after Oliver was born. It was a nightmare I thought I'd never wake from.

Still to this day when I see a mother smiling at her newborn I cry. I wish I could have felt that happiness after Oliver was born. I feel like I missed out.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
But no studies done on SIDS babies and mothers with histories of depression.
I had it and mine are all alive. It may be an allergic reaction to anestisia (I believe) Or a withdrawl or something. Babies just don't die for no reason and I don't accept that. They must find a way. That was my biggest fear.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I had it and mine are all alive. It may be an allergic reaction to anestisia (I believe) Or a withdrawl or something. Babies just don't die for no reason and I don't accept that. They must find a way. That was my biggest fear.
But everybody's PPD is different. Look at Andrea Yates.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Lissa said:
I didn't know there was a book. I don't know if I want to read it. It'd bring back to many bad memories.
Yeah, you might not want to. I cried through part of it, it was so sad.

I just cried nonstop after I had Kaylynn. I didn't even think about having it until my grandmother pointed out that she thought I did. Kaylynn started, about 3 months old, just putting herself to sleep in her crib. I'd rock her, hold her, walk with her, everything, she would not go to sleep. Finally, I realized that if I laid her down, she'd be out. I think I was just kind of detached from her, and to this day, she favors her father over me, 100%. I know girls are daddy's girls, but Bug isn't. I just feel I never got to bond with Kaylynn like I did Cameron and Lauren. Breaks my heart, really.:(

When I was pregnant with Lauren, my doc thought I had prepartum anxiety and wanted me to take Wellbutrin. I told him I wasn't taking a thing while I was pregnant. But when she was born, it wasn't anything like when I had Kaylynn.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Amber said:
Yeah, you might not want to. I cried through part of it, it was so sad.

I just cried nonstop after I had Kaylynn. I didn't even think about having it until my grandmother pointed out that she thought I did. Kaylynn started, about 3 months old, just putting herself to sleep in her crib. I'd rock her, hold her, walk with her, everything, she would not go to sleep. Finally, I realized that if I laid her down, she'd be out. I think I was just kind of detached from her, and to this day, she favors her father over me, 100%. I know girls are daddy's girls, but Bug isn't. I just feel I never got to bond with Kaylynn like I did Cameron and Lauren. Breaks my heart, really.:(

When I was pregnant with Lauren, my doc thought I had prepartum anxiety and wanted me to take Wellbutrin. I told him I wasn't taking a thing while I was pregnant. But when she was born, it wasn't anything like when I had Kaylynn.
Thanks for sharing your story. It's hard to talk about PPD. I'll share my story in a little bit. I have to go pick up my son from the babysitter's. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I might share my PPD with you through pm lissa, mine was scary but luckily I didn't snap like Yates. There was always that little something that told me not to go there. I honestly thought the world and my life was over as I knew it and I saw NO way out.