SIDS and PPD...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Lissa said:
But everybody's PPD is different. Look at Andrea Yates.
Andrea Yates had postpartum psychosis, not postpartum depression. PP psychosis is much more uncommon and scary.

I'm sorry you went through such an experience, Lissa, and glad things are so much better. I had very mild PPD, which mostly consisted of me being extremely irritated with my poor husband for a few weeks. :eek: But I have a very good friend who is a terrific mother and all-around amazing person who had postpartum psychosis with delusions that she needed to harm her child. Luckily, her sister noticed and got her help. She had a very rocky time for a few months and has decided not to have more children as a result. But her boy is healthy, happy, and completely adored by both his parents. I'm glad more women like my friend and you are willing to talk about their difficulties postpartum. PPD is not that uncommon, and women should not be embarrassed to ask for help. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I always wondered if I had a bit of the psychosis because I was quite delusional.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I might share my PPD with you through pm lissa, mine was scary but luckily I didn't snap like Yates. There was always that little something that told me not to go there. I honestly thought the world and my life was over as I knew it and I saw NO way out.
Maybe I won't share details of my story as it's pretty upsetting. I will tell you that almost immediately after Oliver was born, within hours, I was crying and depressed. My husband went back to work 16 hour days and I was alone with Oliver. I had no help at all. There is no other word to describe it than a nightmare. I would do anything to forget the first 6 months of his life.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I used to put knifes away from the dishwasher and think how vunerable they were out there and I could end it all and go back the way it was. Even now when I put the knifes away I still think back of my thoughts about that. How could I ever have thought that. I had panick attacks that I gave them birth just so they would die in 90 years. How could I do that to them.
I over protected them. I didn't want anyone around them, just me.
My husband took them for a walk while Iwas napping and took all three in the triple stroller and I woke up and my kids and husband were gone and no note. I panicked so hard. I got in my van and flew around the corner and I saw them. I got out and started screaming hysterically "DON"T YOU EVER TAKE MY BABIES WITHOUT ME KNOWING and YOU DIDN"T LEAVE A NOTE. I THOUGHT SOMEONE KIDNAPPED YOU"
Yea, my mind was shot out :(

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
:( I hear ya about the panic attacks. I still get them once in awhile. I still have depression, but nothing like PPD. I don't think I could have been much lower than that.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Thats why man created drugs for the mamma!!!! God Bless Xanax land that I love, stand beside me and numb me to get me though to another day.

kristakmj

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
i didnt suffer from PDD but i do have anxiety that is terrible , i finally got insurance and told the doctor , she asked what my symptoms were and i told her i just get so mad and YELL at my kids for things that shouldnt be that big of a deal , she gave me zoloft it is not doing a thing except giving me insomnia . so i go for a recheck on the 20th im gonna have her give me something else . i hate that i dont enjoy my kids more , they are only young once

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I take Lexapro and I LOVE them!!! 20mg They really take the edge off. They saved my sanity. And my xanax at night time to stop thinking so much.

kristakmj

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
i cant take xanax if i miss one dose i have seizures , lexapro is good? i used to take klonipin but with the siezure the doc has to be careful what she gives me .

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Sorry that so many of you have had that sort of experience. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
kristakmj said:
i cant take xanax if i miss one dose i have seizures , lexapro is good? i used to take klonipin but with the siezure the doc has to be careful what she gives me .

They stuck me on Klonopin...I hated it. I couldn't wake up for anything.

Just a side note..Klonopin does cause induction of seizures or increased frequency of them.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Jeez, it's a scary topic. Having just gotten out of PPD myself I wont be joining in this thread. Tooooo emotional. I don't like to think about sad things with children at all. Makes me cry! :cry:

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Amber said:
They stuck me on Klonopin...I hated it. I couldn't wake up for anything.

Just a side note..Klonopin does cause induction of seizures or increased frequency of them.
Klonopin is what saved me.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
That has to be some scary stuff!

Reading this thread makes me feel very lucky. Most of my life, I had a terrible time with PMS and depression. Once I got pregnant, it was like my hormonal balance corrected itself and I was the happiest I have ever been. I really feel for those that have to deal with PPD. I know that with PMS, I could SEE that I was crazy but I couldn't DO anything about it... I cannot imagine that magnified when a person should be going through the most wonderful time of her life.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
What's really strange is that during my entire pregnancy I was the happiest I'd ever been and I wasn't on any medication. It's like you said, my hormones were balanced.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
What's really strange is that during my entire pregnancy I was the happiest I'd ever been and I wasn't on any medication. It's like you said, my hormones were balanced.
I think there is something to that actually...I always felt very content when I was preg...and I don't even really like being pregnant, go figure

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would agree that someone with Post Pardom Depression may have a correlation with SIDS. I only say this because someone with depression can be un-connected with the world around them and just not all be there, and with that said, may not pay attention to their child or comprehend the factors of SIDS.
On the other hand, wouldn't someone with PPD to this extremity have to either be placed under 72 hours watch (while still at the hospital) and then either put on meds or have someone there at all times? I can not see it fit if someone has <I>SEVERE</I> PPD to be allowed to care for a child by them selves, and a new born at that.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
meow_173 said:
I would agree that someone with Post Pardom Depression may have a correlation with SIDS. I only say this because someone with depression can be un-connected with the world around them and just not all be there, and with that said, may not pay attention to their child or comprehend the factors of SIDS.
On the other hand, wouldn't someone with PPD to this extremity have to either be placed under 72 hours watch (while still at the hospital) and then either put on meds or have someone there at all times? I can not see it fit if someone has <I>SEVERE</I> PPD to be allowed to care for a child by them selves, and a new born at that.
Well said.

My doctor ignored me. I kept calling the clinic begging for help. Guess what they told me? Call back tomorrow. ?!?! In my opinion, looking back at my situation, I should not have ever been alone with my son. Even my husband knew what was going on and ignored it. I begged him every morning not to leave, but he did. My mom told me that what I was feeling was normal.

It wasn't until I checked myself into the hospital that people started taking me seriously.