Skunk!!??????...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My pup got sprayed last night, it happened around 11 and I was asleep so we decided to just leave him outside for the night. Big mistake he hollered and whined outside the door, he has never been left out all night and it would appear he takes great offense to it.

At 6 this morning I had enough, got up, brought him in and bathed him.....and he smells HORRIBLE my house smells like one huge skunk!!!!!

So I did some research and found a few things people swear by but I have to wait for the baby to take a nap before I can do it :(.

UGH...............MY......HOUSE......SMELLS!

And I don't have it in me to throw him out again...god I am a wuss!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
uggh...and I'm sorry, puppah would be spending some quality outdoor time if it were me...

I was awoken at 4:45 by a raccoon scratching by the french doors to our bedroom...raccoons do not need ari conditioning!

Live trap is set, I'm going to get either the raccoon, the squirrel or the ground hog that each need to GO!!

hhmmmm, anybody want to come over for stew? (j/k)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
HI FALLON!!!!!!

Kailyn is napping so I am going to go mix up the recipe and see how we fair. I hate bathing him, he makes a bigger mess then the little ones do!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Wash him in washing up liquid (like what you use to wash your plates) that stuff gets any smell out, it might make doggies fur a bit rough though. Our cat always comes home stinking, not skunk spray though, bin juice, eurgh!

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
1 qt water
1 qt hydrogen peroxide (normal household type, ~3%)
1/4 cup baking SODA
2 teaspoons dish soap

rub it in and let sit for about 5 minutes then rinse off

try not to let it get in eyes (it stings)
DO NOT store any leftover mixure, just pour down drain

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
ElliottCarasDad said:
1 qt water
1 qt hydrogen peroxide (normal household type, ~3%)
1/4 cup baking SODA
2 teaspoons dish soap

rub it in and let sit for about 5 minutes then rinse off

try not to let it get in eyes (it stings)
DO NOT store any leftover mixure, just pour down drain
Yep, that's the one I used. It helped the smell is not as rancid anymore. I did use some mouthwash were he was sprayed and that helped a lot more, now he has a citrus smell. You can still tell it is there if you get super close but the house smells a lot better.

IADad said:
uggh...and I'm sorry, puppah would be spending some quality outdoor time if it were me...

I was awoken at 4:45 by a raccoon scratching by the french doors to our bedroom...raccoons do not need ari conditioning!

Live trap is set, I'm going to get either the raccoon, the squirrel or the ground hog that each need to GO!!

hhmmmm, anybody want to come over for stew? (j/k)

We had a raccon last year. My dogs trapped the poor thing in a tree and wouldn't let it come down. It was there for 3 days before hunger and thirst took over. I have pic's of it somewhere. They are so pretty!

As for your stew...maybe a rain check?:laugh:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I can't see me wanting to skin, clean and cook any of these critters, but thier carcasses are available if anybody wants them...him, think I should put that on Craig's list?

I have a recipe for a cleaning mixture too.

Vodka
Dry Vermouth
fresh lemon
ice

cut lemon "twists' from the rind of the lemon.

fill one martini glass and a martini shaker with ice....

oh, wait, that's a vodka martini recipe...nevermind...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
mythbusters tested most of the familiar remodies for removing the odor. I believe tomato juice was a winner MythBusters (2004 season) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First let me say raccoons are viscous animals. While they may look cute they are not. From experience living along the river all my life the best way to keep coons away from you place is put a little bleach in a squirt bottle (empty Windex) with water. and just lightly spray any garbage empty bottles, cans, anything the may think is a food source. A couple visits with burnt mouth results will teach them not to come around. They are very smart and will pretty much quit coming around after a week.

I have done a lot of "live trapping" the problem with that is you have to do something with them after you catch them. In the long run bleach and water will do the trick.

Who was that posting F A L, F A L L On. Hmmmm

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
bssage said:
First let me say raccoons are viscous animals. ...

...I have done a lot of "live trapping" the problem with that is you have to do something with them after you catch them. ...

Um ,did you really mean to say that racoons are thick and syrupy? that cracked me up!

What to do once live trapped....no problem... .22 to the rescue. Senor Squirrel met this fate yesterday.

Something tripped my live trap last night, I suspect a racoon since it didn't get caught, like you say, they are smart.

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
haha Alligators... try the Australian Salt Water Crocodile.. they are the biggest in the world and always aggressive..

and you said Raccoon's are aggressive so you have to keep the "coon's" away... if you come to Australia don't say that... it is one of our most racist words