So today...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
LOL Jeremy! You took it too far! D: hahaha

lol. I was wondering what you call chips, if you call fries chips. But then you explained it further down the page. :p So fries are chips and chips are chips? Why not just call fries something else? lol I'm sure I would understand if I lived there. So random. But still cool.
Well, in England chips (what you call chips) are crisps. Its just here that we call both chips. Go figure. I suppose it is pretty random. Does make for some interesting misunderstandings when travelling, though. LOL.
And no, we won't call them Fries. Fries are the horrible pieces of cardboard that McDonalds sell. Real, propper strips of deep-fried patato, are called chips. I truly hope for your sakes that not all "fries" in America taste like the stuff McDonalds here sell.

And now I'm hungry and its all your fault.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
So Jeremy, did you ever get clued in on "iowa chips?"

As for fries - at least here, in my opinion (and the opinion of many boards I'm been on) McDonalds are the second best fries...Maybe they make them different there? Or maybe you expect something different. I think the "French" reference comes from the whole deep frying thing. Now I'm not sure why that's come to be known as "French frying" but you can have french fried anythings...

Of, and since I said second best, it begs the question, who then has the best - Hands down, the best fries on the planent, and perhaps in the whole galaxy" are from In-N-Out burger, found only in California, and selct parts of Arizona and Nevada I believe. I would drag myself 50 miles over broken glass to have In-N-Out fries (Making plans for my trip to CA in April already.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I think In-N-out burger is disgusting, you need Freshness burger in Japan. Actually, what you need is a Grantham burger, they are amazing! Instead of minced beef you get a slab of Welsh steak, with stilton sauce, onion and gherkins, yummy!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
Of, and since I said second best, it begs the question, who then has the best - Hands down, the best fries on the planent, and perhaps in the whole galaxy" are from In-N-Out burger, found only in California, and selct parts of Arizona and Nevada I believe. I would drag myself 50 miles over broken glass to have In-N-Out fries (Making plans for my trip to CA in April already.

I miss In-N- Out, I agree with thier fries being yummy, but they are made from fresh real potatoes. There are so many restaurants I miss from California....Tito's Taco....El Pollo Loco.....Emerald Garden (yummy)..oh WOW I am hugery. heck for a few years there was only McDonalds here, we have finally got a few more places but none as good as those listed above!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
singledad said:
And no, we won't call them Fries. Fries are the horrible pieces of cardboard that McDonalds sell. Real, propper strips of deep-fried patato, are called chips. I truly hope for your sakes that not all "fries" in America taste like the stuff McDonalds here sell.
I've definitely had real fries before, and while I admit they are awesome and genuine, especially with cheese on top, I must say that there must be something wrong with your McDonalds or perhaps we just have different tastes because not only do I love McDonalds fries, but so does the rest of America lol. Everyone I know thinks they are the best aside from "real" fries you can get at fairs and stuff. Of course, they're terrible for you lol. But that's a whole different story from how tasty they are. :tongue:

So I'm always hearing about people in other countries, like there and England and whatnot, eating "fish and chips" which I know is fish and (in my lingo) fries. So what I'm wondering is where do you guys get it? What is your main fast food place called? The only place to get that combo fast food wise here is like Long John Silvers etc lol. But fish is a main source of food for other countries out there, unlike us. I figure that's why its different.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
I think In-N-out burger is disgusting, you need Freshness burger in Japan. Actually, what you need is a Grantham burger, they are amazing! Instead of minced beef you get a slab of Welsh steak, with stilton sauce, onion and gherkins, yummy!
Disgusting? oh man, the gloves are going to hit the ice!

I think In-N-Out make a decent burger - I've had better burgers, but the fries are top notch - when I go in April, I'm planning at least 3 stops at and In-N-Out and I may just have fries each time.

Xero - there's als a chain called Arthur Treachers, up and down the eastern seaboard. I'm thinking the chain restaurant concept is just not as big in most other countries. Yes, I know they have chains too, I just don't think it's as over-powering as it is here.

oh, man I still can't get over the "disgusting" comment - I'm tempted to ship you a case of "chips" Iowa style.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Don't you dare!

Yeah, we don't have many chains here, and we certainly don't call them restaurants! The chains we have are Burger King, KFC, Pizza hut, Dominoes, Wimpy and Nando's. Apart from Nando's, they are all just filth food that tastes like it has already been eaten and gives you a heart attack.

Our restaurants are totally different to the ones I have been to in America, everywhere I've been in America unless I have paid through the roof the restaurants haven't been very smart and the food isn't that great. Where as here when you go to a restaurant everyone dresses smartly, men in suits women in evening wear and the food is really really good and quite reasonable, normally £10-£15 for a main depending on what you order.
We don't really have buffet places here, the ones we do have are considered filth really, where as I came across a lot in America, doesn't seem very hygienic to me. Generally the only buffets we have is chinese places, which most people avoid to avoid food poisoning. When I have been to other countries as well, I have found that the quality of the food just isn't as good, apart from in Southern Italy.

We are a very foody nation and we expect our food to not just look good, but to taste brilliant, if it doesn't, you certainly will not get a tip, we will tell all our friends and we don't go back there again.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
Don't you dare!

Yeah, we don't have many chains here, and we certainly don't call them restaurants! The chains we have are Burger King, KFC, Pizza hut, Dominoes, Wimpy and Nando's. Apart from Nando's, they are all just filth food that tastes like it has already been eaten and gives you a heart attack.

Our restaurants are totally different to the ones I have been to in America, everywhere I've been in America unless I have paid through the roof the restaurants haven't been very smart and the food isn't that great. Where as here when you go to a restaurant everyone dresses smartly, men in suits women in evening wear and the food is really really good and quite reasonable, normally £10-£15 for a main depending on what you order.
We don't really have buffet places here, the ones we do have are considered filth really, where as I came across a lot in America, doesn't seem very hygienic to me. Generally the only buffets we have is chinese places, which most people avoid to avoid food poisoning. When I have been to other countries as well, I have found that the quality of the food just isn't as good, apart from in Southern Italy.

We are a very foody nation and we expect our food to not just look good, but to taste brilliant, if it doesn't, you certainly will not get a tip, we will tell all our friends and we don't go back there again.

Hahaha, I don't think that box would make it through customs.

I whole heartedly agree on the whole buffet theme - I avoid them big time, it definitely is a aquantity over quality think.

It's funny that Great Britain and more specifically England has more of a global reputation as having a weird, alomst inedible food history....there's some joke about from back when the EU was forming about getting cars made in france, German lovers and food from GB...don't remember it all but you get the point.

I do agree, than many restaurants here are over priced and under served both from a service and a food quality perspective. I think that's a product of having so many and us eating out so much. But there are plenty of gems you need to find, they may not be fancy, but there are good food finds all around the country.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
I've definitely had real fries before, and while I admit they are awesome and genuine, especially with cheese on top, I must say that there must be something wrong with your McDonalds or perhaps we just have different tastes because not only do I love McDonalds fries, but so does the rest of America lol. Everyone I know thinks they are the best aside from "real" fries you can get at fairs and stuff.
I think that is it exactly - I'm used to the genuine stuff. You said it - it's awesome. Heart attach-inducing, but hey, I'll take my chances. Lots of people here like McDonald's too - its almost like, you get two kinds of people - those who like McD's, and those who don't. Me, give me a juicy Steers burger, with lots of souce and onions, flanked by fresh chips with their BBq spice. Yum. Feast your eyes:

Xero said:
So I'm always hearing about people in other countries, like there and England and whatnot, eating "fish and chips" which I know is fish and (in my lingo) fries. So what I'm wondering is where do you guys get it?
We have a few chains that sell it, and you can even get it in most seafood restaurants (except if they are trying to be fancy), but the best f&c you get at the little corner cafe, usually owned by a Greek or Porteguese family. Sadly, inland the chains are starting to kill of the little cafes. At the coast though, especially if there is a fishing harbour, you always get this one place somewhere near the harbour, that looks a little dodgy from outside, but sells the most awesome fresh F&C. Often they buy their fish straight off the trawler, giving you that never-been-frozen taste. :cool: Like this place - the one where I got robbed by gulls...
[/URL]

IADad said:
I'm tempted to ship you a case of "chips" Iowa style.
I'm dying to know what those Iowa chips are... (although part of me thinks I may not want to know...):eek:

As for restaurants - we have a name for people who call McD's and other fast-food places restaurants, but I doubt it will translate very well. Real restaurants, like most things here, are so diverse there is literally something for everyone. Thats the cool part about living in a country with so many different cultures. Buffets you usually only find at Hotels, and a few other place, but we kinda avoid those too - it definitely is about quantity over quality.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
<r><QUOTE author="singledad;91964"><s>
singledad said:
</s>
I'm dying to know what those Iowa chips are... (although part of me thinks I may not want to know...):eek:
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

&lt;E&gt;:eek:&lt;/E&gt;never heard them called chips either but iadad most likely means prairie oysters or rocky mountain oysters or calf fries or criadillas or &lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;huevos del toro&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; or bull’s eggs or cowboy caviar or swinging beef or what ever just pick the critter and try not to confuse them since they're very different like a sheep/lamb is sometimes called lamb fries. anyways ya get the meaning.&lt;E&gt;:eek:&lt;/E&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well Singledad and 16th, you're going down a different trail.

"Chips" in Iowa can also be "Cow Chips" not food at al, just dried cattle manure (or cow plops, as my kids call it) which are suitable for throwing frisbee or discus style. Liking your fingers afterward is not encouraged.

16th, that's the most thorough list of testicle food psuedonyms I've ever seen. Did that come all from your own knowledge or did you look stuff up?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
:eek:<EMOJI seq="2b55">:eek::</EMOJI>oOOPS, my mistake. shoulda known better. gotta double check next time.:twitcy:

looked it all up. never knew there was so many names for that part of a critter's anatomy. might look up those chips too.:D
coming soon.:p

.....<I>meadow muffin
</I><I>nik-nik</I>
this search was not nearly as fun.:D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
It's a frequent activity at fairs (cowchip tossing, that is)

I've never actually participated...but then again i've never done a greesed pig contest or mutton busting either...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
LOL @ 16th Ave. :biglaugh: Thanks. I needed that.

Cowship tossing, eh? Makes me think of a rather, um, interesting little custom we have here. Also very popular at small-town fairs. Its called "Bokdrol spoeg kompetisie". Direct translation: "Deer-dropping spitting contest". Basically, the contestants get a deer droplet each (usually Kudu but other species are sometimes used as well), and they see who can spit it the furthest. Yes, you read that right - you put deer poop in you mouth and spit it as far as you can. The experienced spitters will tell you that it needs to still be wet to get real distance. :err:

Don't ask me what it tastes like, though. I only did it once - after waaaaay too much booze. I only have a vague memmory of a friend promising to buy me another drink if I go spit... :yikes:

<SIZE size="75">(How'd we get from thieving gulls to this?)</SIZE>

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
IADad said:
It's a frequent activity at fairs (cowchip tossing, that is)

I've never actually participated...but then again i've never done a greesed pig contest or mutton busting either...
um yeah. at fairs, rodeos and lots of festivals along with the mutton bustin' and greased pig thing and some other off the wall things that are stupid but funny too.. being a small town kinda gal, i knew that. my brain just ain't been open when it should be lately. the sign says open. but the doors have staying been locked.:goofy:

um xero, yeah its gross.:eek: just depends on the person's sense of humor i guess.
but i ain't never had the urge to play with anybody's poop or anythings poop. so its gross to me too even though i think its funny at the same time.... :yikes::twitcy:

i aint even sure what the appeal of tossing around cow crap is is...:confused: