Some new pics for me too...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Yes, we have a "Cherry Queen" every year too.. lol. I have to say though, much better than being named Beef Queen or Pork Queen hahaha that's awesome. I can't see very many girls running for it! :p
them pork producing families are pretty serious about piggies...and in all seriousness and sincerity, there is some pretty good scholarship moeny attached, so that's the motivation to put up with the humiliation...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
Wait a second, wait a second....
So, if the Cherry Queen met up with the Pork King, there is going to be a problem. Would she still be the Cherry Queen? (as you can see, my mind went straight to the gutter this morning)
LOL! Perhaps once won has lost her Cherry Queen title she's a better candidate for pork queen?

stjohnjulie said:
And IADad, I was curious, what are Kolach Festival and Houby Days? I just got stuck on Beef Days and forgot to ask!
They're both Czech ethnic festivals. There's a pretty good sized czech population nearby, one church runs an annual "Kolach" festival. Kolaches are fruit filled bready pastries (yum) so they make and sell several thousand dozens as a fundraiser, and then there's games and silent auctions etc, all the usual fest stuff.

Houby is the czecch word for Morel mushrooms, which grow wild and are really covetted by the old czechs (and not to mention the most tasty mushrooms in existence in the world) so they grow in April and May, so there's a festival that surrounds them in May.

Sweet Corn fest happens in August...it's more self explanatory.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
any body else flashing on the moview "Doc Hollwood?" Where he ends up in the south carolina town during squash festival....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
stjohnjulie said:
Wait a second, wait a second....
So, if the Cherry Queen met up with the Pork King, there is going to be a problem. Would she still be the Cherry Queen? (as you can see, my mind went straight to the gutter this morning)
IADad said:
LOL! Perhaps once won has lost her Cherry Queen title she's a better candidate for pork queen?
WOW you guys, just WOW!! I am LMAO!!

stjohnjulie said:
BUT, you CAN sign me up for the Wine Fest! That sounds like a lot more fun to me :D
It is fun! Its really expensive, but the wine is amazing and its so much fun to taste all the different kinds, and everyone is kinda drunk! lol :D Its a good time.