son has the flu and won't eat!!...

3timesmommie

Jan 18, 2008
Hamilton,Ontario
Last night my son vomited up his supper and then my 6month old threw up her breatmilk and then at 4:00 in the morning there goes the take out we ordered earlier in the night, Is this the flu or something worse, I know gotta go see the doctor tomorrow, ALl day my son who is 20 months will not eat anything I feel terrible, what do I do?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
3timesmommie said:
Last night my son vomited up his supper and then my 6month old threw up her breatmilk and then at 4:00 in the morning there goes the take out we ordered earlier in the night, Is this the flu or something worse, I know gotta go see the doctor tomorrow, ALl day my son who is 20 months will not eat anything I feel terrible, what do I do?
Don't force him to eat - just make sure he is getting enough to drink. Water, gatorade, pedialyte, but he needs to be getting fluids if he is vomiting otherwise he could dehydrate.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Can he take down a tablespoon of water every ten minutes? If so do that.
If he has a fever you can buy feverall which is a suppository. Usually a fever will make them throw up. Since he can not hold down any meds a suppository is best. (ask your pharmacist for dosage) He doesn't have to eat. They usually put them on a B.R.A.T diet which is banana's, rice, apple sauce and toast (crackers).
If it's coming out faster then it's going in then try gatorade instead of the water. He needs the electrolytes. Good luck. I hope he feels better.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
My son is sick right now and he's had two pieces of toast today and that's it. He's hardly eaten anything for three days. The doctor said that's typical and to just try and get him to eat whatever you can.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oh and cola syrup and the syrup from fruit cocktail can make their tummies settled too.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would say, let your older son eat and drink what he can. Try to force the drinks but he will eat when he feels better. The baby, lots and ots of nursing

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
I'm having the same problem. I've had to take Lyric to school both today and monday. I took her to the doctor today [[which cost me an arm and a leg]] and he just said to keep her hydrated. I don't know how common getting sick at Lyr's age is [[17 months]] but she gets sick way more than I would have thought. And I don't have health insurance. I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong, which I'm sure there is, and if there's anything I can do to help her stay healthy... ???

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
he.loves.her said:
I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong, which I'm sure there is, and if there's anything I can do to help her stay healthy... ???
Babies get sick and the best thing you can do is relax and deal with it the best you can. Basic common sense is good enough 98% of the time, because common sense suggests you take a sick baby to a pediatrician as you have already done, and the doctor will tell you what you can do better if there is anything you can do better.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Must be going around. My two year old is sick too. I feel so bad whenever they vomit...it hurts my feelings. :'(

I always offer Alenya simple things like toast, something bland, but if she doesn't take it I don't force her. I'll get three different glasses of different drinks for her so she can pick too. Normally water, juice, and a little bit of milk.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
he.loves.her said:
I'm having the same problem. I've had to take Lyric to school both today and monday. I took her to the doctor today [[which cost me an arm and a leg]] and he just said to keep her hydrated. I don't know how common getting sick at Lyr's age is [[17 months]] but she gets sick way more than I would have thought. And I don't have health insurance. I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong, which I'm sure there is, and if there's anything I can do to help her stay healthy... ???
Do you have state assistance? We have something called healthy kids that goes off your income. I would look into that.
I'm not sure if it's only my state but didn't they just pass a law that all children are covered?
Who do you have to support you?

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
Well, as far as I'm concerned Iowa doesn't have that. But I can go look it up real quick. Basically I'm supporting myself, but I'm living with a friend. I get a welfare check for 250 each month... But I just hit 18 last month. We spend that 250 on groceries and I use the money that I earn for emergencies, and medical expenses. And since I was never on my parent's insurance, I'm not insured so neither is Lyric. I'm not so sure I'm going to the right places to get assistance, but I really don't know what to do at this point of time.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
he.loves.her said:
Well, as far as I'm concerned Iowa doesn't have that. But I can go look it up real quick. Basically I'm supporting myself, but I'm living with a friend. I get a welfare check for 250 each month... But I just hit 18 last month. We spend that 250 on groceries and I use the money that I earn for emergencies, and medical expenses. And since I was never on my parent's insurance, I'm not insured so neither is Lyric. I'm not so sure I'm going to the right places to get assistance, but I really don't know what to do at this point of time.
I hope you don't miind me asking but where are your parents or Lyric's mothers parents in all of this?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
AnKsMommy said:
Must be going around. My two year old is sick too. I feel so bad whenever they vomit...it hurts my feelings. :'(

I always offer Alenya simple things like toast, something bland, but if she doesn't take it I don't force her. I'll get three different glasses of different drinks for her so she can pick too. Normally water, juice, and a little bit of milk.
I think it is great that you offer a choice! FYI though milk is REALLY bad if they are vomiting.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
he.loves.her said:
You should be able to get state assistance (cash) plus food stamps separately. But if you live with your parents, it might be different. But, if they sign a statement saying you pay them rent and prepare your own food, the state will usually not count them as members of your household.

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
My mom passed away a long time ago. I lived with my dad, but he's not the supportive type... I don't really want to talk much about that. I just kind of moved in with a friend of mine around 16. Lyric's mom had about the same situation. Her mom's a bit dried out and I honestly don't know a thing about her father. Her mom sends money sometimes. But I think it's a stretch for her to even remember Lyric is alive. I don't legally live on my own, I'm still listed under my father's adress as far as I'm concerned. I know I should probably get out of that situation, but so far my life has been one struggle after another and I'm just doing what I can do.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
hannah's mommy said:
I think it is great that you offer a choice! FYI though milk is REALLY bad if they are vomiting.
Oh not around vomit time...just general sick time. And I don't give her normal cow's milk. I offer the breastmilk that I express. I figure it can't hurt her more than the cow's milk does.

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
I'm lactose intolerant. Haha, sorry, I guess that really doesn't have much to do with anything, but I also kinda wonder what having Lyric drinking soy milk would do. Right now she drinks whole milk, because that's what her pediatrition recommended. And one more thing... [<I>[I feel rude straying so far from the topic]] I'm a vegetarian. And I do give Lyric meat, because I don't want to force into becoming a vegetarian, and because I'm not sure I have the time or energy needed to put into a vegetarian diet for her. I wonder if I could compensate with a Pesco-Vegetarian diet for her. I don't know if you all know anything about that or not, but it's just something I've been thinking about.</I>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
AnKsMommy said:
Oh not around vomit time...just general sick time. And I don't give her normal cow's milk. I offer the breastmilk that I express. I figure it can't hurt her more than the cow's milk does.
How is milk bad if she's vomiting????<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
As long as she's getting proper protein. Have you looked on vegitarian children's boards or anything?