SPANKING revisited...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yes, Nicolas, I do have a suggestion about stirring emotions, and how to discuss without doing so.

Perhaps we can make our points in what we believe rather than trying to trick people into accepting certain words as "fact."

I personally believe that 62 years is but a blink of the eye in terms of child rearing thought, how do we know the effects of a parent's actions on society's function in such a short time, surely this will take generations to establish and even then, I don't think it's a direct line kind of distinction that can be drawn.

Can any of us really say we're being non-confrontaionaly when we finger point at another's style?

When someone says, "I'm right and you're wrong." that's a pretty confrontaional appoach. Much different from, "Have you considered," or "Can I suggest that..."

I think that some of this discussion is helpful. perhaps for people to look within themsleves and conisder that maybe doing as your parents did isn't a perfect answer. Many of us seem to want to do better for our children than we had it. I'd say this topic is no different.

Surely there are things we can agree to disagree on. Surely, we can accept that someone else forming an opinion is not necessarily an idiot because they happen to disagree or have come to a different conclusion than me.
And surely we can lighten up a bit and not take everything said as an attack. For example, MomoJA made mention of some christians believing in strict beatings, and I initially took offense at that, but I realize that she wasn't attacking christianity, there are certainly those christians who are very vocal in those regards, and I know what she meant, so it wasn't an attack on me. I don't think I'd characterize "a lot" of christinas as having that view, but that's from my perspective. So, I could have gotten all defensive and brought doctrine forward to refute the comment, but the point is she didn't say it to hurt me, it was a view, her view. I've just said why I think there's a different view of that, so maybe I've learned from her and maybe she'll learn from me and neither of us had to attack the other.

I've used this discussion to review my views and my actions, I still wish it could be carried out with more civility.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
parentastic said:
If even one silent reader ends up on a spanking thread on a forum, and even one of the information I bring allows them to reconsider and either reduce the intensity, the frequency or the type of punishment and corporal punishment they use, to replace with something less detrimental, then I have achieved my goal. I don't need validation, I do not care about winning over anyone to my "point of view", all I care about is offering my professional position on child care and developmental psychology.
Soooooooo, you do have an agenda! Good for everyone to know! Maybe you should put that as your sig so everyone knows where you stand, seeing as how that is the most important thing to you.

Have you taken into consideration how many people you alienate by your outspoken views?

I hope not.

Last edited:

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
IADad said:
yes, Nicolas, I do have a suggestion about stirring emotions, and how to discuss without doing so.
Perhaps we can make our points in what we believe rather than trying to trick people into accepting certain words as "fact."
I am not sure I follow you when you say "trick people". Can I respectfully ask you to point to an example where this happened?

IADad said:
When someone says, "I'm right and you're wrong." that's a pretty confrontaional appoach. Much different from, "Have you considered," or "Can I suggest that..."
Agreed.

IADad said:
Surely there are things we can agree to disagree on. Surely, we can accept that someone else forming an opinion is not necessarily an idiot because they happen to disagree or have come to a different conclusion than me.
I do not recall ever calling anyone an idiot, nor implying this in any way, shape or form. If I am wrong, please point to me where I did so, so that I can properly apologize. On the flip side, I am not responsible of how people may feel - including guilt - when I share with them what I learned or what I know. Everyone is free to disregard it, or arrive to a different conclusion. Spanking is a delicate, very personal and very emotional topic. I wish it wasn't, and I am doing my best to stay respectful. I will of course do everything I can to take your suggestion into account.

IADad said:
I've used this discussion to review my views and my actions, I still wish it could be carried out with more civility.
I wholeheartedly agree. I will do my best, but I can only hope the others will do, too.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
(cracking my knuckles and leaning back)

<U>Bssage quotes</U>
I know quite a few people have strong <U>opinions</U> on this
And I <U>believe</U> the desired effect was achieved
<U>As far as I know</U> no study has linked any of that, to the type of spanking I mentioned above "conditional spanking" to any harmful long term effects.
I am currently <U>under the impression</U> that there is no significant body of study that an occasional spank will have any long term harmful effects.
I do not think spanking should be common or routine in anyone's household. But I and a body of more educated peeps <U>feel</U> that it can be both a useful productive tool as a back up to other good parenting resources.
<U>IMHO</U>
Will a reasoned conditional spank result in long term harm to you children? <U>My opinion is No</U>.
Can a reasoned conditional spank be a useful parenting resource as a backup to other reasoned discipline? <U>My opinion</U> is yes.
Should spanking be a primary form of discipline? <U>My Opinion</U> no. I would suggest getting more qualified advice if this is the case.
<U>IMHO</U> <U>I think</U> what the PL and psct are doing is trying to represent their opinion as fact when it is not. I am not discounting their opinion far from it. They are both valid and pertinent. But they are not facts.
I am truly sorry for representing <U>my opinions</U> as facts. And you may be right again I Apologize <U>my understanding</U> was that we have opinions. facts are proven. I will see if there are any studies validating all my opinions. I believe the are kept in the bssage library of "REALLY???"

<U>Pstc quotes</U>
This being said, bssage, no offense, but I wonder if the reason you started the thread isn't also because you want to deal with the guilt.
I dont get why people attack you either. Not worth responding to really. I would have to ban myself.

I do not ask for people to believe in what I write or say
:wideeyed:

Isn't much more likely that small doses of something we KNOW is harmful in large dosage be potentially harmful too?
Again Really??:wacko:

We know children are more likely to act aggressively when they are spanked.
We do??:p

There is also a very clear association between the likelihood of drug abuse later in life and the spanking a child has received.
OOOOKKKK;)

New research in neurobiology now allows us to scan the brain under stress (using magnetic resonance) and we know much better what is going on in the brain during certain conditions, such as spanking. This falls into qualitative research: it does not use statistics. It's not about what cumulative effect we attempt to measure at the end, X years later, looking at groups of spanked vs non-spanked children. Instead, we now <I>understand the mechanics</I> of what is going in the brain. We know how spanking generates cortisol and adrenaline, how it erode the parent-child attachment bound and causes a shift toward insecure attachment, how it causes the left and right part of the brain to develop defense mechanism and less communicate with one another; how it favors an over-development of the right brain (screams, strong emotions) or an under-development (children are asked not to display their emotions, for fear of punishment). But this kind of "proof" is discarded because it's not that perfect "proof" you are looking for.
This is all fact?

Recent studies have focused on the child. What is the child point of view in this? We found out that spanking causes certain types of reactions and emotions: children have resentment, anger, rebellion or submissive thoughts, etc. This is now well documented. Whether the children remember it later in life or not, whether the cumulative effect is measurable or not, the punctual effect of spanking on a child's emotional and cognitive processes is now well known.
No good way to respond so :jimlad:

There are MANY more things to say. I have hundreds of studies for you, bssage, that I can't share with you here because each PDF is taken from university accounts from paid journals, but if you are truly open to it, I have sources for everything I have written above and I can send you these sources by email.
Yes I understand that the top secretness of these classified studies warrants safekeeping. They should be hidden from the non tuition paying public. :cool:

The key point though is: why is none of the above enough <I>at least</I> to wonder: Hey, wait a second, am I sure that even one single spanking is NOT harmful? Am I 100% sure of this, considering the above
Who's key point? The key point is throw out the baby with the bath water? If the sun is bad stay indoors? If you can get in a car wreck you shouldn't drive? Sorry <U>my opinion</U> missed the Key Point to <U>your thread</U>. Could you please tell us what that is again.
Quick poll. How many of you parents are 100% sure you are parenting correctly 100% of the time.

PS
What you may assume people are ganging up on you. Or you may assume<U> IMHO</U> It may just be people from different walks of life, different places &amp; environments, having similar opinions. Might also be that the vets have seen this before and just have less tolerance for it. (Misrepresenting opinion facts that is.) Nothing to do with you specifically really <U>IMO</U>.

I do not care about winning over anyone to my "point of view",
I am looking for a word. Its starts with the letter B and ends with something that sounds like it.

"I will consider spanking to be non-harmful to children when done a few times a year, regardless of anything you can give me, unless you can give me proof it is harmful to children on the long run when it is done at this frequency".
Just curious where you took this quote from?

Last edited:

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
IADad said:
For example, MomoJA made mention of some christians believing in strict beatings, and I initially took offense at that, .
I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't the one who made mention of this. I remember the comment being made but I wasn't sure I understood the point of it. I'll have to go back and look at it, but I, personally, do not think that any particular religion sees spankings any more or less part of parenting than another. There are certainly people in every religion who find parenting motivations within their belief system, most people following any faith probably do, and, as with everything, within every religion there are people who take it to one extreme or another. But I don't see how this has anything, one way or another to do with whether or not spanking is abuse and/or effective.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
momtoallkids said:
idk. personally i am against spanking. i have found other ways to teach my children to behave properly. i just had a fight with my husband anout it becasue he spanked my step-son. i was pissed. i forget what started the whole thing but my step-son was self punishing by slamming his head into things so his father spanked him to snap him out of it. i do not agree with this. i think it could have been handled better without rasing a hand to him. i didnt talk to him the rest of the day after that. its my personal belief that there is no reason to ever raise your hand to a child
And I can so respect your point of view.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
something [spanking] <U>we KNOW</U> is harmful in large dosage...
<U>We know</U> children are more likely to act aggressively when they are spanked.
There is also a very clear association between the likelihood of drug abuse later in life and the spanking a child has received.
<U>We know</U> how spanking generates cortisol and adrenaline
<U>We found</U> out that spanking causes certain types of reactions and emotions
Ah, I am getting your point much better now.
Who is "we" in "we know" ?
Why do I present the above claims as factual, rather than opinion?

The problem here is that these are not my opinion.
They are the consensus agreed upon in the scientific community, and that is being taught to every child care professional.
Are these facts? It is certainly debatable that science refines itself with each decade and that a century of research on child care certainly isn't the whole of knowledge on the topic, far from it.
But on the flip side, I can't talk about it as if it is just an opinion.

It's the position of the APA (American Psychological Association), and the agreed position of vast majority of the child professionals.
So if you have a constructive proposition, about how this data can be presented in a better way, I am all ears.
If you are suggesting, however, that no data about children psychological development, and what impacts it, can be valid, or should ever be presented into a parenting forum, them we will have to agree to disagree.

bssage said:
(cracking my knuckles and leaning back)
I was under the assumption that we were trying to find common ground. Since I am being blamed by yourself, bssage, on msg #69, and by Incogneato on msg #78 to "try to win" the debate, I am surprised to read this kind of comment, which also seems to indicate an attempt to "win" or "fight", rather than find common ground. Kettle? Pot?

bssage said:
Yes I understand that the top secretness of these classified studies warrants safekeeping. They should be hidden from the non tuition paying public. :cool:
Sarcasm isn't a very effective communication strategy either, IMO. It's not my fault is most of the scientific published, peer reviewed material is not available online for copyrighted reasons. If I had it my way, every study should always be fully free and open. I did offer you to send them to you via private email though. You chose to make fun of it rather than accept the offer. I am not responsible for that choice.

bssage said:
The key point is throw out the baby with the bath water?
No. The key point is precisely to be open to ask the same question you ask on one side, on the other side.
If having absolute proof that spanking is harmful is so important to you, it stands to reason that <U>having absolute proof it is not harmful</U>, before you use it, should be equally important.
You asked me this:
bssage said:
<U>I have yet to see anyone produce a study that indicates a couple of spanks in a lifetime, year, even a few times throughout a year have been in any way harmful.</U>
And I took a lot of time to respond to you carefully. The least you could do is respond to it with seriousness, rather than evade the issue.

bssage said:
Just curious where you took this quote from?
It was not a quote, I put quote in QUOTE= tags. It was my own understanding and rephrasing of what I got from you, using "" symbols to signal it's an approximation, and attempt at rephrasing. From wikipedia:
Signaling unusual usage Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense:
Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into. In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are <I>descriptive</I> but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
So many things wrong with that last post. I am just going to stop. Its pointless. I will respond to these two things.

This being said, bssage, no offense, but I wonder if the reason you started the thread isn't also because you want to deal with the guilt. I might be wrong, and I do not want to presume or assume anything about you, but I have heard a lot about how much guilt I am causing on the forums each time I am advocating for positive parenting. Do you want to reassure yourself that the spanking you did in the past was okay, or are you genuinely interested to discuss whether it is detrimental for a child? I am not sure. Please forgive me for asking.
Throw a flaming turd like that at me. And I'm gonna crack my knuckles when I post.

And

Sarcasm isn't a very effective communication strategy either
Oddly enough, I find it both effective and entertaining.

<I>Caution Sarcasm:</I>

<U>We found</U> out that spanking causes certain types of reactions and emotions
Really? You all were able to agree on that?

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
We should be careful in assuming that just because excessive spanking is known to be harmful so even a little is a bad thing. We know that excessive alcohol is not compatible with good health but a glass of red wine is recommended by most health care professionals.

I believe that we all agree that just about anything in excess is not good however many of us will take the view that most things, including spanking, when done with control and moderation can be beneficial and should not be viewed in the same light as the extreme.

I am also curious ... was a kid spanked while they were in a MRI or is there some possibly conjecture or assumptions allowed people to know what goes on in a child's brain when spanked?

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
GavinH said:
I am also curious ... was a kid spanked while they were in a MRI or is there some possibly conjecture or assumptions allowed people to know what goes on in a child's brain when spanked?
I don't know for sure, it's a good question.
The information about the neurobiological process that goes on in the brain of a child during an emotionally charged event is described in detail in some of the courses I had to follow in my studies; some if it is taken from the work of Dr. Dan Siegel, if you want to look it up, but I haven't specifically explored each individual research methodology.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
&lt;r&gt;It seems the topic is actually quite current, as it has been making the headlines in the past few weeks, because of a brand new research announced Feb 6th, in the &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;Canadian Medical Association Journal&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;:&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
See report in the &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;Science Daily&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt; here:
&lt;QUOTE&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;ScienceDaily (Feb. 6, 2012) — An analysis of research on physical punishment of children over the past 20 years indicates that such punishment is potentially harmful to their long-term development, states an article in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal).&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Over the past 20 years, a growing body of research clearly indicates that children who have experienced physical punishment tend to be more aggressive toward parents, siblings, peers and, later, spouses, and are more likely to develop antisocial behaviour.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
"Virtually without exception, these studies found that physical punishment was associated with higher levels of aggression against parents, siblings, peers and spouses," write Dr. Joan Durrant, Department of Family Social Sciences, University of Manitoba, and Ron Ensom, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
In a trial of an intervention designed to reduce difficult behaviour in children, when parents in more than 500 families were trained to reduce their use of physical punishment, the difficult behaviours in the children also declined.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
"Results consistently suggest that physical punishment has a direct causal effect on externalizing behaviour, whether through a reflexive response to pain, modeling or coercive family processes," write the authors.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Physical punishment is also associated with a variety of mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety and use of drugs and alcohol. Physical punishment may change areas in the brain linked to performance on IQ tests and increase vulnerability to drug or alcohol dependence, as recent neuroimaging studies suggest. Attitudes toward the use of physical punishment have changed, and many countries have shifted focus to positive discipline of children and have legally abolished physical punishment.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Physicians can play an important role in advising parents on constructive approaches to discipline, based on evidence, to enhance children's healthy development.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
"Physicians have a primary responsibility for translating research and evidence into guidance for parents and children, and they are credible and influential voices for advancing public education and policy concerning population health," state the authors. They can educate parents on typical childhood behaviours, suggest positive disciplinary approaches, and refer patients to public health and parenting programs and other resources.
&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
parentastic said:
I honestly and genuinely don't think PL is consciously trying to stir people into guilt - although I cannot speak for him here, I am not in his head.
Well, judging by how he uses more and more emotionally charged words with every post, there are only two options - 1) He has no true concept of what the words he uses so casually really mean. He probably has never experienced real trauma in his life, and has never even met someone who suffers from PTSD. or 2) He is intentionally trying to stir up emotion, and upset people in order to make the FEEL how bad he perceives spanking to be. Forgetting, of course, that most of his audience have, in fact, been spanked, and know very well what it feels like. :rolleyes:

I wonder if he will ever be back to answer my post? I hope so, because I think he needs to understand that he is abusing people's feelings in order to make a point.

parentastic said:
I think what happens - at least this is what happens for me - is that when I hear, read or think of spanking, what comes to *me* in my mind, from the memory of being spanked (it only happened a few times, not more than 2 or 3 in my whole life, when I was less than 8 years old, and only with hands, and only on the buttock) it evokes something very traumatic and violent. So the idea of the intent, for me, does not even comes to my mind. It is (to me) completely evident and obvious that it is done by parents with good intent! It is just as obvious and evident (to me) that it is the act that is violent, and so I do not walk on eggshell when I say it.
That is your experience, and no one has the right to tell you that you are wrong. It was your experience, after all. What you should, perhaps, keep in mind, is that many other people have had different experiences.

I've explained to you how utterly inconsequential my own experiences with spanking (as opposed to abuse) was. Now, you may argue that I was desensitized, and admittedly I would not have a counter-argument. However, I have had my experiences with spanking echoed by so many people from different backgrounds, many of whom are still very close to their parents, and would swear that their parents did an excellent job.

I think this is the wall you keep running into. You will never convince these people that they were traumatized as children, regardless of how many studies, statistics and scientific finding you trot out. The standard response that 95% of people I know have to spanking debates is - "Well, I was spanked, and I'm just fine". Frankly, you have no more right to invalidate those people's experiences (and destroy their relationships with their parents in the process), than they have of invalidating yours.

GavinH said:
We should be careful in assuming that just because excessive spanking is known to be harmful so even a little is a bad thing. We know that excessive alcohol is not compatible with good health but a glass of red wine is recommended by most health care professionals.

I believe that we all agree that just about anything in excess is not good however many of us will take the view that most things, including spanking, when done with control and moderation can be beneficial and should not be viewed in the same light as the extreme.
I believe I've also made this point earlier in this thread, just not as well as Gavin made it.

It makes me think of something that was established earlier in this thread - that at least one researcher not only removed children who hadn't been spanked in 2 weeks from the "spanked" group, but actually ADDED them to the NOT-SPANKED control group! Now, if that isn't a clear admission that spanking has to be excessive to have these negative effects, I don't know what is. Furthermore, she included children who were physically abused in her "spanked" groups - any idiot would be able to tell that they would grossly exaggerate the results. The very design of her study tells me that she didn't think that children who were spanked infrequently would even mildly skew the results for her control group, and that she intentionally exaggerated the results for her "spanked" group! Perhaps there is something that I don't understand, but representing the results of such a study as showing difference between children who were spanked and those who weren't, is untrue. I would even dare call that fraudulent... She was comparing children who were spanked excessively to children who were spanked mildly/infrequently. Her study results showed the effects of excessive spanking/abuse. NOT the effects of "spanking". Seen in that light, her results also make a lot more sense!

How many of these other studies applied similar parameters? Can you see how things like that undermine the credibility of the entire field of study?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
GavinH said:
This is something I've wondered about when I see these sorts of "traumatic" experiences "PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT" with regard to spanking. Either the "spanking" was administer for no reason except as an experiement, and by whom? Or it was not ever administered. Or I don't know what.

It doesn't make any sense. I cannot envision and experiement that would allow the brain reactions of children in every sort of parenting response including spanking that would not be contrived.

The whole thing stinks of unaccounted for contributing factors.

Children are not plants we can put in a closet to determine if unnatural light impacts growth in the same way natural light does. There is no "control experiment" with regards to raising children so every bit of "scientific" findings with regard to any parenting technique (and I truly scoff at using "scientific" with regards to a topic involving this sort of topic) is highly, highly, highly questionable.

And when "science" "proves" that spanking does the sort of devastating harm some people on this thread have claimed it does in face of the overwhelming evidence experienced first hand by a huge percentage of people walking the world today, how can we be expected to take it seriously? How can any thinking human being put such "scientific" evidence over what we know first hand to be true. It would be like if someone tried to convince me that I was kidnapped by aliens when I was a child but I just didn't know it. It's that silly. And if it didn't do that for me (and just about half of everyone else I know), despite what some would have me believe, why should I believe them about what it would do to another child?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think Psychologist, psychiatrist, are just kinda a sick group.

Povlav's dog. Really? you have to shunt the dogs saliva glands to see if it drools when you feed it. Really??

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
parentastic said:
some if it is taken from the work of Dr. Dan Siegel, if you want to look it up, but I haven't specifically explored each individual research methodology.
No point messing up a study by validating the methods used. ps I tried

parentastic said:
It seems the topic is actually quite current, as it has been making the headlines in the past few weeks, because of a brand new research announced Feb 6th, in the Canadian Medical Association Journal:
See report in the Science Daily here:
An analysis of research on physical punishment of children over the past 20 years indicates that such punishment is <U>potentially</U> harmful to their long-term development, states an article in <I>CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal)</I>
Over the past 20 years, a growing body of research <U>clearly</U> indicates that children who have experienced physical punishment <U>tend</U> to be more aggressive toward parents, siblings, peers and, later, spouses, and are more <U>likely</U> to develop antisocial behaviour.
“<U>Virtually without exception</U>, [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]Statements like this bother me almost 100% of the time.

In a trial of an intervention designed to <U>reduce difficult behaviour in children</U>, when parents in more than 500 families were trained to reduce their use of physical punishment, the difficult behaviours in the children also declined[/QUOTE]. [/QUOTE]I think the trial was in India. And I think it was with difficult children.

“Results consistently <U>suggest</U> that physical punishment has a direct causal effect on externalizing behaviour, whether through a reflexive response to pain, modeling or coercive family processes,” write the authors.
Physical punishment is also associated with a variety of mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety and use of drugs and alcohol. Physical punishment may change areas in the brain linked to performance on IQ tests and increase vulnerability to drug or alcohol dependence, as recent neuroimaging studies <U>suggest</U>.
[/QUOTE] How about a study using normal kids. Or kids that didnt start out as "Difficult"

Again nothing new here.

I guess part of my problem is that I AM SURE IF SOMEONE HAD A VALID STUDY THAT STATES
mild, nonabusive, physical punishment is harmful when used occasionally, in a loving relationship, and in conjunction with other methods of discipline, most notably with reasoning.
CAUSES HARM. IT WOULD BE ON EVERY RADIO, TV AND NEWSPAPER IMMEDIATELY.

I really dont need to see another study that says kids who are spanked on a regular basis or more severe suffer. Or one that says problem children, with problem parents, have problems later in life. I will concede that point. In fact please dont let your peers study that without intervening on the children s behalf. That IMHO is kinda insane. That I do not think is what anyone is advocating that.

Last edited:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
parentastic said:
I am not sure I follow you when you say "trick people". Can I respectfully ask you to point to an example where this happened?

Agreed.

I do not recall ever calling anyone an idiot, nor implying this in any way, shape or form. If I am wrong, please point to me where I did so, so that I can properly apologize. On the flip side, I am not responsible of how people may feel - including guilt - when I share with them what I learned or what I know. Everyone is free to disregard it, or arrive to a different conclusion. Spanking is a delicate, very personal and very emotional topic. I wish it wasn't, and I am doing my best to stay respectful. I will of course do everything I can to take your suggestion into account.

I wholeheartedly agree. I will do my best, but I can only hope the others will do, too.
First please understand that this was not meant as an attack. I addressed it to youbecause you asked, but then I tried to accurately use "we" whenever I thought I was making a global suggestion all of us would bear well to be reminded of.

I'm not going to dig through to find a case and point, but I believe posts have been made where someone's words are take and then used to pigeon hole them. I realize the importance of writing carefully, esepcially on such hot topics, but I think we're all better served when we try to understand what the other mean, rather than trying to catch them at a misstep. We can't all be Gov Romney, you know...(sorry, little political joke added there...)

Where did I ever accuse you of calling anyone "an idot"? There's been a lot of finger pointing, and frankly I don't like being characterist as part of a group of veteran's ganging up on you.

I've tried to write clearly, and respond to you directly when I have a comment directly for you and generally when I have a general comment.

My point is that we aren't serving the purpose of the discussion if we are debating the debate.

Somehow I got characterised in this as being a spanker, I think I've made it clear that I've spanked my children 3 or 4 times combined. Would there have been other ways of handling those situations? Maybe. I'm not perfect and I don't think any of us don't have regrets about certain things we've done parenting. We're all participating to do a better job. My point is not to tell soemone they should or shouldn't spank their children. My point is that spanking is not necessarily abuse, and while spanking is a violent act, much as hitting a baseball is a violent act, it's not necessarily and aggressive act. Sure, it's used to control behavior, and the question is its relative effectiveness in changing behavior, as we all agree, it's our duty as parent to do.

So, my bottom line is that I don't think that people who selectively use spanking as a means of changing behavior are not more or less neglectful or damaging than a parent you uses other means. I think all the references to the long term societal effects are extremely speculative. No one spanks in a vaccuum. We're a violent, aggressive species, we may be slowly becoming less violent as we move farther away from fighting each other for today's food, but I think there are a lot of other issues that fact into the good of the future than spanking and perhaps some focus should be put on them.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and I realize I hadn't responded to your comments on my lead pipe analogy.

I found them extremely patronizing. Haing a civic water management engineer in my family and checking on his advice with the epa website, I felt pretty comfortable putting the analogy forwrd. I'm sorry you found me "un-aware." The point wasn't that lead isn't dangerous, it was there is more than one way to mitigate a danger.

PianoLover

PF Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2011
Dear everyone, first of all I would like to appologise for my absence, if an appology is necessary, I have been busy in life.

I think at this point the only correct thing for me to do is to withdraw from this thread. I am not here to stir animosity, the only thing I came here to do was try and help children and parents develop better relationships so that the next generation may be more psychologically healthy than the generation before. I have had excellent results and reports of the worthiness of the methods which I suggest in other groups, that I am encouraged by. I would rather spend my time where I can make a real difference, than where minds are set for the time being.

One user says:
" I think this is the wall you keep running into. You will never convince these people that they were traumatized as children, regardless of how many studies, statistics and scientific finding you trot out. The standard response that 95% of people I know have to spanking debates is - "Well, I was spanked, and I'm just fine". "

And it appears that he is right. Those people seem immune to reason and evidence and their experience is the all. But we don't judge rationally based only on our opinions alone. If I trusted my taste buds only I'd eat candies half the day, that's why I look into nutrition to have a healthy diet. The evidence serves as a guide, not only my own preferences on what I like.

he goes on to say:
"Frankly, you have no more right to invalidate those people's experiences (and destroy their relationships with their parents in the process), than they have of invalidating yours."

And that would be ever more true if the cost of the assertion were not violence being done against children. It was acceptible once for a man to hit his wife as a man now hits his child, and thank heavens that is no longer acceptible. Therefore to me a fair analogy is to say this statement is like a woman of that era saying "I am hit by my husband and I'm still fine so it's perfectly reasonable to hit my child." Such a woman is unable to face the reality that she is a victim, nor are we unworthy souls yet willing to face up to the fact that perhaps our parents acted wrongly, in ignorance, we would rather carry out the cycle of violence than bring it to an end by finding alternative ways to deal with our children when we find them uncontrollable.

I will sum up and respond to some other posts, but only because it is my duty to do so. I do not want anyone to feel that I have retreated because I don't want to respond to these claims, I do, but I don't have all the time in the world, and the answers will not satisfy. They will only raise more questions.
The answers may not be liked but I'll try my best to respond kindly, where I have failed to respond kindly in the past I appologise.

singledad said:
you are throwing around words like "abuse", "trauma", "anxiety", "PTSD" etc like they are just words, with no meaning beyond the scientific definitions you have studied.
Hello, I would like to say that all these conditions are of course very serious and I do not mean to use the terms lightly.
When I say a child who is spanked is more likely to show symptoms of PTSD, that is not my opinion but the opinion of experts who have studied the issue. It also stands to reason: a shell may shock an adult, but it doesn't take nearly as much to provoke the same response in a child who is so far as anyone can see, helpless. S/he is at the mercy of a primary care-giver whom s/he depends on for his life and that person can be a benevolent force but then suddenly turn round and inflict physical pain ... how can that person then return to being fully truted? it seems impossible

Robert Scaer, neurologist and world leading expert on the effects of trauma, defines a trauma as any threat, or perceived threat, to an individuals life in which they experience a state of helplessness. He says it affects "all aspects of the brain, mind and body," and has gone so far as to say he believes that ALL pathologies are a result of trauma. Trauma leaves a pattern in the brains behaviour and so it is very reasonable to imagine that if a child suffers such a trauma while being spanked they will experience a habit of anxiety, or depression or any other pathology.

The victim might well <I>Not</I> experience being spanked as a trauma, but clearly my view is that it is never worth the risk with your children. Never.

I also do not mean to equalise spanking to other forms of abuse that are more severe, I only acknowledge the fact that using violence to solve problems is inherently abusive. There are levels of abuse and being called a sexual name by your boss at work is much less severe than being assaulted by him but it is still not acceptible. The psychological effects have as much to do with breach of trust and abuse of power as physical damage, we should bear in mind, so while hitting with a stick is far worse that with a hand, I believe there is a similar principle at work, the pain may be different, but the emotional implications to the child of being hurt by their primary care giver is surely analagous.

The other point I should address in brief is the BDSM point. Among professionals, it is generally understood that spanking CAN indeed create a fetish for it. I'm not suggesting that all children who are spanked will grow up wanting to be spanked for sexual purposes. Nor am I suggesting that <I>only</I> those who were spanked will grow up with this fetish; It is simply CORRELATIVE, which is to say this fettish is More Likely amongst people who were spanked as a child than those who were not. If you want to read more on this then google the correlation, I'll have no more to say on the point.

My final statement will be an appeal to the readers humanity.

People see violence and war in the world but cannot see the link to the way we rear our children, they think that people must have some innate evilness in them, when in fact violence is a language and a language is taught. There is about as much chance of a child who has never been screamed at, never been yelled at, never been hit, turning out to be a violent criminal as being able to speak fluent Mandarin.

"<U>they don't have bruises</U>."

they do, just ones which don't show.

Last edited:

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
singledad said:
He has no true concept of what the words he uses so casually really mean. He probably has never experienced real trauma in his life, and has never even met someone who suffers from PTSD.
Hello singledad, good to read you. I always appreciate the pertinence of your responses. As for PL, as he has already responded to this, there isn't much I can add. I think I can relate, certainly, because even though I have had my own experience of being spanked, I have not lived such profound trauma as PSTD or child abuse - and I am grateful for that. I think it's really important to acknowledge that the depth of distress can be beyond description, and that there is a real, terrible truth behind these words that must be respected, and not used lightly.
I myself have spend several year as an S.O. for a women who had been sexually assaulted as a child by a family member; I have seen first hand the flashbacks, the pain, the pervasive way this terrible trauma continued to deeply mess her whole life, even 20 years after the fact. So I think it's really important, IMO, to acknowledge that normative spanking is not in the same category, both by respect for the spanking parents who love their children and are genuinely doing what they think is best, and by respect for the people who had to survive deep traumas such as these ones.

singledad said:
I've explained to you how utterly inconsequential my own experiences with spanking (as opposed to abuse) was.
Yes, you did. And, as I have agreed before, I am saying it again: it's clearly different.

singledad said:
Now, you may argue that I was desensitized, and admittedly I would not have a counter-argument. However, I have had my experiences with spanking echoed by so many people from different backgrounds, many of whom are still very close to their parents, and would swear that their parents did an excellent job.
Since I do not know you personally, I would not want to say whether you may or may not be desensitized. Besides, as you pointed out very matter-of-factly, many parents have not lived your kind of background, and are still convinced that spanking is alright, and do not see what might have been wrong with being spanked as a child.
All I could tell you about this, is that psychologist are taught, in their field of study, that the vast majority of parents who were spanked themselves very often see spanking as okay because, when they were children themselves, they had to shut down their emotions and rationalize the violent acts they experienced in order to survive and cope with it - so as it repeats enough time, it becomes engrained and it becomes very difficult to see how it may be perceived from the fresh eyes of a child who has never been spanked before.
Now... and I am carefully walking on eggshells here - this is what is being taught in the field of psychology. Since the entire professional field has been openly criticized here and qualified as "a sick group", where does this lead us? It seems that I am committing the crime of sharing the view of the professional field I was taught in these forums. So I am now being extra cautious to clearly state that this is what I was taught. People will take it for what it is worth for them, no more no less.

Statistically speaking, at least, the numbers are really impressive (to me, at least!) as I learned that there are 70% of chances a parent raises a child in the same kind of attachment type and with the same kind of discipline they were themselves raised.

singledad said:
I think this is the wall you keep running into. You will never convince these people that they were traumatized as children, regardless of how many studies, statistics and scientific finding you trot out. The standard response that 95% of people I know have to spanking debates is - "Well, I was spanked, and I'm just fine".
I think you have perfectly pointed the very heart of the problem, and successfully illustrated the dynamic that is going on in this thread, or in spanking threads in general when the majority of the posters have been spanked themselves.
The wall is so real, so powerful, that entire lines of professions, such as psychology or family counseling, are challenged as "sick" rather than even remotely considering that at least, a part of truth might be found within a hundred years of professional work on child rearing.

singledad said:
Frankly, you have no more right to invalidate those people's experiences
You are right, I do not. If one parent who was spanked as a child says: "I did not feel it was a violent act" and conclude "I turned out fine", who am I to say they are not fine, or that they experienced it in a different way than they say? I totally agree with you.
But, singledad... it's not what I said in these forum, ever. What I said is (and again, I am walking on eggshell and choosing my words carefully now), is that as a child care professional, I was taught that spanking is a violent act, and that it is perceived by children as such when it happens, causing various effects similar in several respect to an attachment trauma. It's unfortunate that this position, as I am voicing it on these forum, hits the wall as parents are evaluating how they were spanked as children themselves, and how they seem (from my point of view, not saying that's the intent) to gang on the messenger, rather than consider the content of the message.

It does not leave me with much choice, and I am all ears if you'd like to offer more advices. So far, I can:
- Continue writing about what I have being trained to do, and what I have been taught, professionally, in these forums (something I do freely and on my free time, with no benefits by the way) and obviously upset people,
- Pretend everything I have studied for 5 years, all the experience I have had actually helping families and solving family relation problems and attachment issues were, in fact, all "sick" and wrong,
- Pretend everything I have studied for 5 years is "just my opinion", or
- Stop contributing on this topic, or even possibly on this forum
If I missed a possibility, please let me know.

singledad said:
... (and destroy their relationships with their parents in the process)
I want to respectfully address that part of your post.
My father did spank me, as I said a few time before, although it was not very often and certainly not in an way that could be called "abuse".
When I started my studies in the field of child care, I quickly learned about physical punishment and their effects. I had some conversation with my dad about this, at some point.
But I have an *excellent* relationship with my dad, who is an adorable and sweet man today.

I beleive, in my opinion, that you can face the fact that spanking is a violent act, and look at what the various child-related professional fields say about spanking, and in no way does that destroys your relationship with your parents in the process. It certainly didn't destroy mine.
My dad did not know at the time about this. Why should I hold him responsible in any way? He obviously knew better at some point in his own life, because he decided to change his ways completely with my brother, who never received a single spanking. Even if he had not, there would still be nothing to blame him for.

singledad said:
[about studies] I would even dare call that fraudulent... She was comparing children who were spanked excessively to children who were spanked mildly/infrequently. Her study results showed the effects of excessive spanking/abuse. NOT the effects of "spanking". Seen in that light, her results also make a lot more sense! How many of these other studies applied similar parameters? Can you see how things like that undermine the credibility of the entire field of study?
The problem is that (unfortunately) most studies aren't fully downloadable by the grand public, for copyrighted reasons. But the full text usually has a "methodology" section that clearly outlines the choices made by the researcher, and a "discussion" methods that criticizes these choices and clearly outline what the research might mean or not mean. These studies are published in professional peer reviewed journals: they are analyzed and criticized in detail by other professionals from the same field before they are allowed to be published; and then other professional tear it down with a new article and counter studies. In the end, it is not ONE single study that matter, it is the general body of consensual knowledge that emerges from the collection of studies and counter studies on a given field. And what is taught to professionals as they learn the tool of their trade, so to speak, is the collective sum - the <U><I>synthesis</I></U> of all this.

But enough said. I am not here to defend the entire professional field of child care. I can say what I learned and what I practice as I help people. Or I can shut up. Whether the readers decide they'd rather believe it, inquire about it, or discard it completely, is entierly up to each individual reader. I'd love to do something about it so everyone feels respected, listened to, and validated. But I don't see what more I can say?

Last edited: