Still eating at night......

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I know there are probably a lot of threads like this, but I'm having trouble finding one that relates directly to my situation just because there are so many to look through. :p Anyway, my son Eli is six months old, will be seven months on the first of April. This is my first baby. He has always been the type of baby to wake up a lot in the middle of the night. He used to sleep with a binky, and recently I took it away because he was waking up like 5 or 6 times at night for me to put it back in his mouth. I had to let him cry when I knew he wasn't waking up to be changed or fed because I know from what people tell me that they have to learn to comfort themselves back to sleep.
That worked out pretty well, but he still wakes up 2-3 times a night to have a bottle... I know some people say it takes a long time, but I read quite a few different books by different authors that say babies shouldn't need to be fed at night anywhere past four months or so (at least nutritionally speaking). And it also said that he'll continue to wake up and want a bottle as long as I continue to come and give him one when he wakes up, and it's more just because he's used to it than because he needs it or he's hungry. They said that I should not give him a bottle anymore, and to prevent him from waking up otherwise, just to let him for the most part cry it out. Also, just so you know, he does eat solid foods besides formula during the day.
I'm not weak about letting him cry or anything, although I get the feeling he is a teenie bit spoiled, but I get so worried that maybe he IS hungry when he's crying and if I don't come with a bottle I'm really doing the wrong thing, and maybe if I just keep waiting he'll start sleeping through the night and not wanting a bottle on his own. But then, on the other hand, I'm equally as worried that if I keep feeding him at night, he'll continue this for a long time. He's almost seven months old... I don't mind feeding him at night, though I would love to just sleep through the night for once, but I don't want to do it if it's going to continue a bad habbit as he gets older and it gets harder to fix. Can anybody help me with this? Any experienced opinions? Sorry this was long... Thank you. :D

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I would not avoid feeding him when he wakes - he might be hungry. Just because a book said that he shouldn't need to eat at night, doesn't mean that is true for your child. Although, I used a cry it out method with my daughter... I still made sure she was well fed and all clean before I would let her cry it out.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
At 7 months old, I don't think he should still be eating at night. Maybe if he was nursed, but he's bottle fed and on cereal. He's obviously not hungry. I agree with the CIO method as long as your instincts are very closely followed.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Parenting books are OK to use as a general reference, but you need to learn to trust your own mommy instincts. Every child is different and will not fit into a cookie cutter mold. My DS was sleeping through the night by 6 mos., but DD wasn't. In fact, she was still nursing 1x2 times a night until 16 mos..

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would say feed him when he wakes and give him back the binky, he'll learn to find it on his own soon. He will start sleeping through the night and may just be teething a lot at the moment also...If you don't mind me asking, what does your bedtime routine look like right now?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HappyMomma - He's always clean and well fed before bed, and he does do a little crying on his way to sleep, but he's out quick. He wears overnight diapers to bed too. Do you think he'll just stop eating at night on his own? Did your daughter do that? If so, how old was she? (assuming she did wake up at night for bottles, my mother said I slept through the night since I was born haha) I don't trust everything books say. I was thinking of discussing it with his pediatrician too when we go next. The book also said something about weening a baby off of night time feedings. Like making it less and less over time. As in, from 3 times a night to 2 and then down to one until eventually they sleep through the night. Or do I just keep feeding him as often as he wakes up for it and he'll grow out of it maybe?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my son started sleeping through the night without waking for a bottle around 6 or 7 months old...he was a big boy and he was hungry

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
fallon said:
I would say feed him when he wakes and give him back the binky, he'll learn to find it on his own soon. He will start sleeping through the night and may just be teething a lot at the moment also...If you don't mind me asking, what does your bedtime routine look like right now?
I appreciate the binky advice, but since I already took it away and he doesn't really seem to want it anymore, I'd rather not go through the willful toddler age of taking away a binky lol. I also heard it could impare speach and have seen that happen with a friend's child. She's about two and hardly talks at all cause she wont take the binky out of her mouth. And since I took that away, waking up for no reason isn't a problem anymore (I do believe he's working on those teeth though). He eats every four hours-ish during the day, and he wakes up right on time after four hours for bottles at night. So I don't think the binky would matter too much anymore...

Before bed, I usually put him in the bath with the Johnson's bedtime stuff, and then I'll give him a bottle and rock him a little (but not all the way to sleep, just sleepy) and then I give him kisses and lay him down. I was thinking about trying to feed him cereal right before bed lately though, but he does eat cereal and baby food during the day. He cries for maybe ten minutes and then he's asleep for the night except for when it's normally (during the day) time to eat.

Trina - I think it's different when you're breastfeeding... (if that's what you meant by nursing). I think it would be a different story for me at least if he were at that age with formula and food and that. But who knows, I'll find out. I know it varies from baby to baby.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I always fed on demand, if she was hungry I fed. I just feel that their instinct knows when they need to eat at that age. (JMO)

It seems that she started sleeping through the night at around 5 or 6 months, because I remember she would be sleeping and I still had to wake up every 2 to 3 hours to pump.

If he's actually eating though, I would not think he's just waking for attention.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
fallon said:
my son started sleeping through the night without waking for a bottle around 6 or 7 months old...he was a big boy and he was hungry
Oh yeah, that's Eli. He is quite a big boy. It's been a bit since he was weighed, but I'd have to say he's probably just over 20 pounds. And he's long. So if that helps anyone out, he is big and has always been hungry. I have thought about that too, and wondered if that's why he's taking so long to sleep through the night.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Xero said:
I appreciate the binky advice, but since I already took it away and he doesn't really seem to want it anymore, I'd rather not go through the willful toddler age of taking away a binky lol. I also heard it could impare speach and have seen that happen with a friend's child. She's about two and hardly talks at all cause she wont take the binky out of her mouth. And since I took that away, waking up for no reason isn't a problem anymore (I do believe he's working on those teeth though). He eats every four hours-ish during the day, and he wakes up right on time after four hours for bottles at night. So I don't think the binky would matter too much anymore...

Before bed, I usually put him in the bath with the Johnson's bedtime stuff, and then I'll give him a bottle and rock him a little (but not all the way to sleep, just sleepy) and then I give him kisses and lay him down. I was thinking about trying to feed him cereal right before bed lately though, but he does eat cereal and baby food during the day. He cries for maybe ten minutes and then he's asleep for the night except for when it's normally (during the day) time to eat.

Trina - I think it's different when you're breastfeeding... (if that's what you meant by nursing). I think it would be a different story for me at least if he were at that age with formula and food and that. But who knows, I'll find out. I know it varies from baby to baby.
This sounds to me like you have some great motherly instincts. What do <I>you</I> think you should do? It's good to take advice from other mothers, but sometimes you gotta listen to your gut.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HappyMomma - I did the same thing when I was breastfeeding. I wish I had kept breastfeeding. But everyone told me that it's a lot different with formula (and since I've done both I'd have to agree). He's never hungry when he's not due for a bottle though.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I breastfed, but due to having problems with latching in the beginning. I pumped and fed the breastmilk to her in a bottle the entire time. I kept that up for almost a year, then switched to formula right at the end.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lissa - I'm the oldest of six children! :D lol. One of my brothers which I pretty much raised myself, so although I haven't had any children before this one, I would say I've got experience and I guess being the oldest sibling of six (and a girl) just helps you grow up with the secondary mother feeling. Haha. Anyway I usually go with my gut on everything and I will go with my gut on this one, but it's nice to hear what other people have to say that have also done it before with different babies. It will help me decide. Because I'm just not perfectly sure on this one, I guess. I don't want to be stuck with a toddler waking up at night, or wanting to go to bed with a bottle. But it seems like most people say that he'll grow out of it. I figure I could give it a couple more months and if things don't change I might have to consider trying something new. I won't have a toddler crying for a bottle three times a night if I can help it. xD Haha.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I know exactly how you feel. I was pretty much a mommy to my youngest sister who is now 16!! I fed her and changed her. But it's so different when it's your own. You suddenly have all these emotions! lol The best advice someone gave me was to follow my instincts. There is a lot of good advice out there. And there is a lot of bad advice. I'm not saying my way is right. It's probably not! lol That's the hardest part about being a mom. We NEVER KNOW if we're doing the right thing. I had a woman try and teach me how to be a mother "her way". It never felt right. So from then on, I chose to go on my own and it's been a lot easier.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Xero said:
I won't have a toddler crying for a bottle three times a night if I can help it. xD Haha.
Don't worry, he'll come up with other more creative ways to wake you up... I need to go to the bathroom, I want to tell you somthing, There's a monster under my bed, etc. LOL :p

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HappyMomma said:
Don't worry, he'll come up with other more creative ways to wake you up... I need to go to the bathroom, I want to tell you somthing, There's a monster under my bed, etc. LOL :p
Oh man I know! Lol. That should be fun. :rolleyes:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Xero said:
But it seems like most people say that he'll grow out of it. I figure I could give it a couple more months and if things don't change I might have to consider trying something new. I won't have a toddler crying for a bottle three times a night if I can help it. xD Haha.
I think your right on track :) I can tell you my son turned one yesterday and he has no trouble going to bed without a bottle and now sleeps through the night. just give a bit more time and see what happens. You seem to have all the right ideas and it sounds like you know just what to do with your baby

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:
Thanks for filling us all full of so much hope.

*sees there is no light at the end of the tunnel*

*downs another glass of chardonnay*

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Lissa said:
Thanks for filling us all full of so much hope.

*sees there is no light at the end of the tunnel*

*downs another glass of chardonnay*
Anytime.

Lissa, you are looking quite stunning today. ;)