Still eating at night......

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I didn't read all this, so excuse if I repost something that has been talked about already.
I don't care if he is breast or bottle fed (well I do, but totally different subject lol) if he wakes up and you give him a bottle and he drinks it all, then he is hungry and you should feed him.
As far as he "has to learn to comfort himself" he will, without your help I promise. Don't know many 20 year olds that call home because they woke up and need mommy to put them back to sleep. Enjoy your night time with him, he is going to grow up so fast you will miss him.
My dd does not sleep through the night most nights either and she is 2. Some kids just need a little reassurance. It take sme 30 seconds to go in her room, tell her its ok, I'm here and lay her back down. SHe goes back to sleep. If I leave her to cry, well I wouldn't do that to her. I'm her mom and she needs me.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Kaytee - I understand about the being hungry and giving him a bottle thing, yeah I think I agree. That was kind of why I wanted to ask people outside of the advice from the book. It seemed like he was hungry enough to eat the whole bottle every time, so maybe he has a faster metabolism than some sleeping through the night babies and that's why he wakes up hungry still. Some babies (like big ones, which he is) might need to eat more, right?

Anyway, as far as the comforting himself thing, yes I absolutely let my baby cry sometimes when I know there's nothing wrong with him, because all babies are different and where yours might not have been or be this way, my son will wake up a countless number of times at night, almost an unbearable amount of times, if I came to him every time he woke up. He's smart and he loves my attention like any other baby (and I love his, but not if it means neither of us can sleep), and if he knows that every time he cries in bed I'll be right there, he's going to cry every time he wakes up hungry or not. And I know that because I just went through it with him. I was crying too because he would NOT let me sleep for more than an hour. I'm sorry, but in that case I'd MUCH rather let him cry it out and learn that he needs to comfort himself sometimes. I can easily tell if he needs me like he's uncomfortable or doesn't feel good or is hungry, or if he's just crying because he wants me to pick him up. Call it harsh, but because I let him cry it out before, he now only wakes up and cries when he's hungry right on time for feedings and we both get a lot more sleep. I have no doubts that I did the right thing on that topic. If he were older, say two like your baby, they can tell you or let you know something is wrong or they need comfort. But I know if she was waking up EVERY hour or two just to get you to come to her, that you would eventually start thinking that it wasn't going to quite work out lol.

Oh and by the way, I know for a fact I will miss my little boy being a baby, I already miss him being a helpless newborn so I know. But I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER miss getting up in the middle of the night with him. EVER. lol. But everybody's different. That's just me. I'll miss everything about him being a baby, but not that. That's the kind of thing that makes me wonder if I ever want to have more. Haha.