Suburbs for parents and kids...

melynie

Feb 17, 2008
I think this may be a relatively new concept.

The idea is that parents and kids live in certain suburbs exclusively for them. These suburbs would tend to be gated communities containing their own shopping centres, schools, parks and other recreational facilities. The convenience of these places would mean that families with children would rarely need to leave their community.
These suburbs could be placed on the outskirts of the city so that there's plenty of space for kids to run around and yell out loud.

This concept would allow libraries, restaurants and other facilities that are not located in these communities to be child-free places. This would be beneficial for normal adults who like to enjoy a quiet meal or read literature in their local libraries without being disturbed.

I have given this concept some thought and have to say that I like it. It seems to beneficial for everyone.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It's called living on an Island. I live on one. You'd love it. I've yet to be at a place that's not kid friendly. I would never lived confined.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
melynie said:
I think this may be a relatively new concept.

The idea is that parents and kids live in certain suburbs exclusively for them. These suburbs would tend to be gated communities containing their own shopping centres, schools, parks and other recreational facilities. The convenience of these places would mean that families with children would rarely need to leave their community.
These suburbs could be placed on the outskirts of the city so that there's plenty of space for kids to run around and yell out loud.

This concept would allow libraries, restaurants and other facilities that are not located in these communities to be child-free places. This would be beneficial for normal adults who like to enjoy a quiet meal or read literature in their local libraries without being disturbed.

I have given this concept some thought and have to say that I like it. It seems to beneficial for everyone.
what...no need to leave the community???? are you real? Do have children???

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
That was my thought too fallon!!
Surely people wouldn't really go for something like this. Kids need the exposure to having to be quiet and sit still for dinner and things. It's part of growing up. If they grew up in this type of "community" and never leaving it, how would they act once they leave it?
Wouldn't these kids think that going to library's and out to eat they could be as noisy as they wanted? They would just assume, given they never left their community, that you could talk loudly and run around in places you were supposed to sit still and behave.
That idea just doesn't seem like it would work.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay I would never live in that type of community. I would rather deal with other peoples unruly kids

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I guess I'm the only one who finds it appealing in some way.

Isn't that kinda like where Yulia lives?

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Personally, I believe in maximum social integration. All ages, sexes, religions, nationalities, etc being mixed as much as possible. The age and class and race segregation is one of the biggest evils of institutionalized education, IMO.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Does this mean when you have kids you are forced to leave your home and moved to another community so you don't force your neighbors to look at your offspring? Because kids are somehow so offensive that they can't be looked upon by anyone who isnt' a parent.

children are not a disease. They don't need to be quarantined.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
FionnaK said:
I think the concept sounds really creepy. To me, it isn't like living in the real world. :confused:

It's The Village, and don't you dare even THINK about stepping past this line, or the pigs in red will get you!:p

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
We live in a small village inside a larger city, and it is a little bit like this. It is very kid-centered. There's a community pool, tennis courts, rec center, golf course, small parks, playground, boat house on the lake, and garden. Lessons are offered in tennis, golf, swimming, basketball, and a few others. Each year there is a winter skating party, Halloween party, and Christmas party. On the 4th of July there is a kids' parade, picnic with games (tug of war, balloon toss, etc.), and fireworks. We have a grocery store on the edge of the community, along with a book store. There's also an elementary school, but after that kids go to the larger city's middle and high school.

It's a great place for kids, but we still go elsewhere for most of our shopping and entertaining.

mrspineau

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2008
Canada
I think that it would be nice. I doubt that the OP meant that you are confined to the village and that you should never leave, I think it would be more like a small town where you'd have a shopping mall, some restaraunts, a grocery store, gas station, everything that you basically would need... I live in a small town outside of the city which has everything that we would need, but I still go into the city often.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay but the op also said it was so that outside restraunts and the such would not cater to young children

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Clearly, from the rest of the OP's posts, she either, 1) hates kids 2) can't have kids of her own and is jealous or 3) is just being a jerk.