Sunburn?!?!...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mindy said:
Yeah, it probably has a lot to do with genetics too I'm sure.

But I haven't seen you! Why, did you post a pic somewhere?, cuz I missed it :)
Yea I think in the family photo. I had one in my profile but Fooser turned me into a monkey with photoshop! It was pretty funny. I asked him to make the picture that way for good so I could use it but he has yet to do it again.

I was totally against my girls wearing bikini's for a long time but they make them so cute and I allowed it. Now they are wearing a tank-kini. It has a top that goes over the belly but they can pull up if they want sun on their tummy and the bottoms are like shorts.
I'm not real big on seeing the little one's in hoochie suits either. I think it gives off the wrong impression. Now me............I'm a hooch so I wear a bikini and let it ALL show! I've earned that right. hahaha

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I have heard that useing anything over 35 doesn't improve anything. Not sure if its true, just what I heard. Both Nichole and I wear 50

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Yeah, Tank-inis are best for the little ones :)

"I had one in my profile but Fooser turned me into a monkey with photoshop! It was pretty funny"

LOL, must have missed that :)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Kaytee said:
I have heard that useing anything over 35 doesn't improve anything. Not sure if its true, just what I heard. Both Nichole and I wear 50
Well it definitely can't hurt! It can't be any <I>less</I> than 35, so I wouldn't worry. I'm not certain, but I think that's a myth anyway. Otherwise, they would be for some serious lawsuits since the baby stuff is all supposed to be 50.

Anyone know of any sunscreen that doesn't have pabba? They mostly all do, my mom is allergic to pabba but CANNOT go without sunscreen, so she doesn't get to enjoy the sun much...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It's supposed to be 50 for 500 hours of sun. 30 for 300 hours... and so on. Like I posted earlier it is tested so thick and applied an hour ahead. Most parents put it on after sun exposure and only a thin coat. It has to be 1/4 inch thick. Crazy I agree.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
So then, I wonder about those spray on ones that are 50 for the kids? Supposed to make things easier.. You can't apply a 1/4 inch of spray...

They need to create something that's realistic to use, you can't have your poor kid looking like a zinc whore.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mindy said:
They need to create something that's realistic to use, you can't have your poor kid looking like a zinc whore.
Something so wrong with that but funny.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Mindy said:
So then, I wonder about those spray on ones that are 50 for the kids? Supposed to make things easier.. You can't apply a 1/4 inch of spray...

I love the spray ones. No mess, they cover completly, and luke has not had a burn yet!

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
musicmom said:
Something so wrong with that but funny.
LOL, yeah sorry about the word... It has become a desensitized word for me. Even my boss called me a "post-it whore" the other day... Cuz I have those little stickies everywhere..

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I was a starbucks whore. I'm in SA for that now. :) It's like AA but NO coffee.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Oh My you people at first i was Like What?<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>
Then I back tracked and now I am laughing my butt off.

anyways yes the vinegar trick works. Musicmom you can eat fish when you put it on. LOL. If its summer time and you get burnt I guess you would be HAAAWWT. hehe ;)

They make this sunscreen that goes on colored like blue or purple and you can see where you applied it and where you didnt. pretty soon soaks into the skin and you can not see it anymore but my kids loved it. I never had to remind them to put it on. they reminded me because they loved applying the color to themselves. So hopefully they do not go through a whole bottle in two days like i did :)
I have never tried the spray. Is it a mist or aerosal? how fast does it wash off or how often does it need to be re-applied?
just curious but I think i will stick with lotion because i know that nurishing the skin also helps there natural protection.
Therotically (my thoughts though could be wrong) if its aerosal it would have to stuff in it to make it spray drying the skin. so I hope its a pump.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
I agree, I should not of gotten so upset. It was one of those straw that broke the camels back things . I had a terrible day at work, and my mom knows how I am about suncreen. I think we were all fish in a previous life because we spend almost everyday swimming , and the novelty of good weather has not worn off yet, since we just started having good summer weather.

When I am around we take alot of "breaks" from the sun, but unfortunately right now our life does not always allow me and my husband to "always" be there. I have since talked to my mom and she realizes she made a mistake. I supply her with suncreen and all of the things needed for a good, fun, safe day of swimming.

I have not seen the colored sunscreen I like that idea. Where do you find it?

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
I don't think your wrong to get upset. I have very fair skin and I know what a day of sun exposure can do. I grew up in Arizona, swimming all the time, and sunblocks just weren't very good back then.

I also don't think my parents took it very seriously. They figured, well, it's a burn, it will go away.

My parents are still a little that way when it comes to being around my kids. They don't like me telling them the way my wife and I do things. They still think they know best. I certainly respect their opinions, but ...

I always point out to my mom that she drove us around for years in a convertible Mustang that had no seatbelts in the back seat. Had we got hit, I would've been in the unintentional ejector seat.

Times change.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
She feels terrible, and I am sure they won't "forget" again.

On the same hand thought I am not going to cover my kids up from head to toe, and keep them inside, we will continue to enjoy our summer, and do what we can to stay safe and healthy. But we are going to live...after almost losing my DH, that is the biggest lesson I learned. LIVE!!!!For us summer living = swimming!!!

you're right I was different when we wre younger, all of the "rules" have changed.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Ihad found my colored sunscreen at Wal-mart though it was many years ago and they may not make it anymore. Alaska only gets like two months of sun and its usually always cloudy and cool so we are covered up most of the time.
I am gonna try to find it and if I do I will post the link. :)

I found one at Avon :)
SKIN SO SOFT BUG GUARD PLUS IR3535® Cool 'n Fabulous™ Disappearing Color SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Mindy said:
FYI I read a study this weekend about your Real Age

Wearing sunscreen religiously will make you an average of 10 years younger.

Not wearing any, or very little makes your Real Age 25 YEARS OLDER than you are!

So anyone with a sun or sunbed obsessed teen, try and appeal to their vanity and tell them this! They don't want to look 60 when they are 40!
It can be offered as a reasoning, but it's not always true. Everytime I am asked how old I am and answer, I get a surprised response. "I thought you were like 25" or something similar. As I mentioned under the headlines sunburn post, I was a lifeguard for many years. I burned very, very bad my first season. I also ran a kids activity program in Orlando, so was out in the sun all day. As the season went on, the sunscreen was cast aside more and more often. Of course it was still being damaged, but you can't tell. Since I already look younger than I am, I doubt that it would have made much difference in the "youthful appearance meter"

KEEP IN KIND THAT BRIGHT, SUNNY DAYS ARE NOT THE MOST DANGEROUS! You are at greater risk for burn when it is a bit overcast, because the waterdroplets in the air increase the UV rays...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
The spray screen comes in a couple ways. I've used both, and lean more towards the spray bottle that's like you'd use for glass cleaner or whatever. The aerosol type comes out cold, and Ry doesn't like that.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
I usually glob on the thick high SPF from a tube. It's messy, and my hands never get as tan as the rest of me, but I feel like I have more control over putting it on them.

I am going to get the colored stuff, the kids would think its cool!!!!