Swine Flu Pandemic?...

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Is it safe to go outside yet?

I haven't seen any new PSA's so I keep watching the old ones!

<YOUTUBE id="ASibLqwVbsk" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk</YOUTUBE>

Turtel

May 22, 2009
America
One thing that I come on forums to do is encourage people to remove their rose tinted glasses. It is normally people who have only taking an interest in the world to a certain level then stopped. Usually I do it regarding education and goverment policy towards public schools, this however is a totally different matter.

The fact is people humans have it coming to them. It's naturally, it's predictable and it will happen no matter how good our medical science is. We've known this for forever and so what people need to do is come to terms with the fact that is is a part of life, possibly even evolution. If your lucky enough not to see millions die from a pandemic in your life time it only means that your child will probably see it in theirs.

Sorry but it is a fact! I think the world would cope with these issues better and have a better chance of limiting the damage if we never shut the scary part of life away. People seem to only have a clue when it's almost on their door step so how is that going to give us enough time to adapt? It won't and part of each epademics increase will have ourselves to blame.

I would say that children need to be educated more about these things especially before the do things in their teens that spread disease. The goverment will have to force this and create strict laws regarding public health when the world population is bursting on every contentent otherwise it will be pandemic after epademic after plague after and so on.

Why wait for another 100 years to force people to stop spreading disease and why not just start doing it now?

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Turtel said:
One thing that I come on forums to do is encourage people to remove their rose tinted glasses...
What internet are you on, AlGore's? Almost every forum I've ever been to is chock full of negativity, criticism, flaming and naysayers. Myself included, lol.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Turtel said:
One thing that I come on forums to do is encourage people to remove their rose tinted glasses. It is normally people who have only taking an interest in the world to a certain level then stopped. Usually I do it regarding education and goverment policy towards public schools, this however is a totally different matter.

The fact is people humans have it coming to them. It's naturally, it's predictable and it will happen no matter how good our medical science is. We've known this for forever and so what people need to do is come to terms with the fact that is is a part of life, possibly even evolution. If your lucky enough not to see millions die from a pandemic in your life time it only means that your child will probably see it in theirs.

Sorry but it is a fact! I think the world would cope with these issues better and have a better chance of limiting the damage if we never shut the scary part of life away. People seem to only have a clue when it's almost on their door step so how is that going to give us enough time to adapt? It won't and part of each epademics increase will have ourselves to blame.

I would say that children need to be educated more about these things especially before the do things in their teens that spread disease. The goverment will have to force this and create strict laws regarding public health when the world population is bursting on every contentent otherwise it will be pandemic after epademic after plague after and so on.

Why wait for another 100 years to force people to stop spreading disease and why not just start doing it now?
Sorry, just don't see you're point. Sure, I get you're being Mr Buss-kill and that's fine, it's your intention, you do it well. But I don't see what action you're advocating for. And what exactly are you talking about that "the[y] do things in their teens to spread disease" ? Are you talking about STDs? I think there's lots of education, you can't swing a dead cat without it hitting somebody urging abstinance or safe sex (and in some cases, ironically, both), also don't get the another 100 years reference,...what happened 100 years ago that changed things that we've forgotten about?

I think this was handled reasonably well, we all learned about hand washing and staying away from frail people if you felt sick, the only part that was out of control in the first week or two was the reactionary poress coverage, came close to inciting a panic that was really unnecessary.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think there are probably a whole host of diseases you could spread by swinging a dead cat...LOL

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
IADad said:
Sorry, just don't see you're point. Sure, I get you're being Mr Buss-kill and that's fine, it's your intention, you do it well.
I'm sorry, I have to differ on that. That post was so full of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, and - most damning IMHO - unsupported opinion presented as fact in order to put forward a questionable conclusion that it was difficult to take seriously at all.

Bear in mind that critique is coming from the person who WAS the biggest doomsayer in the thread... though I now pass that title on to Turtel.

Take for example:

"If your lucky enough not to see millions die from a pandemic in your life time it only means that your child will probably see it in theirs.
<SIZE size="75">If youhis or her lifetime.</SIZE>​

Sorry, but it is a fact!"

A fact supported by what evidence? The evidence may exist, but without presenting it this is little more than scaremongering, and poorly phrased scaremongering at that.

Then there's this:
"It is normally people who have only taking an interest in the world to a certain level then stopped."

<I>What?</I>

Then he concludes that we should put strict anti-contagion laws into effect. Sure, let's focus on doing that while the medical system we have crashes down around our ears under the care of profiteering HMOs, while Medicare and Medicaid go unfunded, and while Social Security dries up leaving an aging population of baby boomers to wonder if their old age will have any security at all.

While we're poking holes in this conclusion, how will these draconian new laws be enforced? Perhaps only physicians will be qualified to become police from now on?
Welcome to the police department, please step up. Your gun is issued on the right, your stethoscope and surgical mask on the left. Remember, the Miranda has changed. Now it's 'you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney and a same-gender chaperone. Please turn your head and cough.' Remember, anyone caught on the street with the sniffles after dark has to be quarantined.
I could go on explaining why I have to disagree with you on that point, IADad, but I think I've made my point and ground it into the ground already. Anything further and I think I risk just being a huge jerk. If I haven't already passed that line. :eek:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
zeitgeist said:
unsupported opinion presented as fact in order to put forward a questionable conclusion that it was difficult to take seriously at all.
Ha. You just described his article on ADHD being fake. xD

Turtel

May 22, 2009
America
zeitgeist wake up! There is not a major scientist involved in disease control that does stand on the news and tell us that we will at sometime in the near future face the same level of outbreak that we have done in the past.

I'm not going to present statistics when they are on just about every news website that currently discusses this issue. There has been a pandemic around every 50-80 years off the top of my head that is. We have not had one for a while now and simply due for one.

Actually it can also be common sense! We're holding off a bird flu in the east, swine flu in the west and it won't be too long before another one pops out of some slum in India, Pakistan.

It's not scaring anyone at all I don't feel frightened by nature. When we have millions of humans starving and living in poverty it is going to cause the spread of disease. The people who will suffer the most are in these poor countries, did you think I'm only talking about America? We're safer than most and lucky too.

Can I ask is your comment suggesting that the human race is never going to lose millions of people all at once every again? Are the you tube videos telling you to get a vaccine scare mongering too and the fact that every goverment stock piles drugs?

It's just life I'm sorry if its hard to deal with. I have children and they would face it and they also believe it is something they will see in their lifetime. So does anyone else who understands the entire world economy and how our population is on the verge of damaging itself.

Turtel

May 22, 2009
America
Sorry I couldnt resist but I hate it when I find people who are naive about the most important things in our lifes so here is some official evidence for you that you wanted and obviously have not been bothered to educate yourself on already...

Timeline of Human Flu Pandemics

You will see by the chart that from 1977-1997 we had a long break compared to what has happened from 1997-2009. This is common knowledge and exactly what I meant by not taking an interest. People tend to live in a little bubble and even if they watch the news its ok because its happening in another state or another country. Not for long!

We are currently dealing with numerous outbreaks, just because they are not on the news daily does not mean they are not out there. There are still people falling ill in poor parts of the world where it is undetected. Children are dying everyday of flus in countries where it is neither treated or investigated.

Wake up people and just prepare that is what I say. There is no need to panick. Can't help being scared but trying to pretend everything will be ok is just going to make things harder for your family. It's spreading through America fast right now, another case was found in the UK yesterday and it was a person who had not been out of the country. Indicating that it is now spreading within community.

These are all facts on the news go Google it. It's not scare mongering it's discussing a little science with a little nature and some sad truths.

We're get through it but not without serious loss.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Turtel said:
Wake up people and just prepare that is what I say...
What are you doing to prepare yourself and family. I need to know so I know what to bring in my "bubble".

Want to know a fact? More people have died in car accidents than have ever died from the flu. Over 1 million people die each year from them. I'm burning my car in my driveway as we speak. :nah:

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
&lt;r&gt;I think I've just put my finger on what the my biggest issue is with your posts: it's the height of arrogance to burst into the middle of a conversation already in progress to talk down to the people in it with the intent to educate everyone, to relieve what you feel is everyone's dreadful lack of knowledge on the subject. &lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="Turtel;85802"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Turtel said:
&lt;/s&gt;Sorry I couldnt resist but I hate it when I find people who are naive about the most important things in our lifes so here is some official evidence for you that you wanted and obviously have not been bothered to educate yourself on already...&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

If you had deigned to read any of the posts in this thread before you jumped in to try to scare everyone you'd notice that we're all quite well informed, and that I, for one, have been advising that we monitor the progress of the current threat and that I've consistently provided detailed information and a link to my sources wherever I make a claim. You can scarcely claim the same, yet you attempt to educate us by making grand claims and then pronouncing "It's a fact!" as though that proves your point to be unassailable TRUTH™.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I am gratified to see that our refusal to take you at face value has prompted you to finally attempt to provide at least some sort of evidence to support your aggrandized claims. Unfortuately, what you have presented is sorely lacking if it's your sole substantiating resource.&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="Turtel;85802"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Turtel said:
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;Timeline of Human Flu Pandemics&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

Based on this timeline, we have had three flu pandemics in all of recorded history. If we extrapolate that, we should have at least another few thousand years before we need to worry about it again.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Let me suggest something: Let's start over. Come down off your high horse and treat the forum members here as though we're intellectually qualified to hold a conversation with you and you might find that we treat you in kind. This will, mind you, involve requiring you to read threads before posting in them so you have some sort of basis for gauging what is going on, but I'm sure that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.&lt;/r&gt;

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree specifically with zeitgeist's last paragraph.

Sorry guy, but nobody likes cockiness, and I'm sure you enjoy believing that you're significantly smarter than we are, but you're not. :)

And honestly, I read both of those last posts of yours and got absolutely nothing out of it. Did you really just write like four paragraphs in order to tell me that people are going to get the flu and that I should continue to wash my hands???

We are all educated, experienced parents. You're just as human as we are, and therefor have no right to treat us as if we are anything less than you. Matter of fact, I can almost guarantee that you could learn a large amount of things from the people on this forum especially in the area of parenting. Life is not all cut and dry my friend, and all I'm thinking is that I hope you don't teach your kids to be as arrogant as you are. Because I really hated those types of kids in school.

One thing to remember: Acting like you are smarter than everyone else, is a really good way to make yourself look stupid.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
just stepping in to say I really don't want this to turn into a debate on individual personalities...while I believe you've all made valid points I'd like to see this thread get back on topic or die out. Thanks for understanding guys, ya know I love you all :)

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Xero said:
Did you really just write like four paragraphs in order to tell me that people are going to get the flu and that I should continue to wash my hands???
To be honest, your hands have been looking dirty lately. None of us wanted to say anything.