Swine Flu Pandemic?...

pet_psycho

Apr 21, 2009
Australia
<t>I was thinking because there is a portion of the "human" flu in this new swine flu - that there might be some % of people covered with the flu vacc.<br/>
<br/>
I also assumed that most of the deaths have been in pretty poor area’s – hygiene & medical facility’s at a low.<br/>
Most people die of pneumonia caused by the flu…….what ever strain. So it is the old, the very young and people with existing poor health diabetics ect- whom are at risk. I am still in the mind that it's a media frenzy.<br/>
<br/>
Here in Australia people are not even being hospitalised.....self quarrantine at home.</t>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
zeitgeist said:
Re-reading what I just wrote there, I have the feeling that it might come across as belligerent. It's not intended to be. :)
Nor was mine, no offense taken, and no serious contention intended. You really went to a lot of work (sorry to put you through that). And to clarify my position a bit, It's not that I think ALL news from the media is distorted or inaccurate, I'm not much for conspiracy theories and I don't think this is a media conspiracy so much as the natural outgrowth of the lack of accountability in the global media industry. I think the trend lately has been to take a story and run as hard and fast with it as you can to try to grab the largest market share, adn if the facts get distorted along the way, well, "there's always retraction if we really really have to."

My criticism of Wikipedia in a matter like this is just that the story is changing so rapidly and the vetting process of Wikipedia is not exactly accountable either, so I think some information can be spread rapidly that turns out to be untrue or exagerated later.

So, in short, I'm not saying "Don't trust the world media." I'm just saying, "apply a little common sense caution in the consumption of the news."

(and wow, 300k pigs in Egypt, who could have guessed that one...I wonder if they are destroying them or sending them off to market in other countries...maybe it's time for me to charter a Pgi boat to Cairo...some may call it a relief effort, some a summer barbeque stock up sale....potato, potahto....;-) )

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
IADad said:
And to clarify my position a bit, It's not that I think ALL news from the media is distorted or inaccurate, I'm not much for conspiracy theories and I don't think this is a media conspiracy so much as the natural outgrowth of the lack of accountability in the global media industry. I think the trend lately has been to take a story and run as hard and fast with it as you can to try to grab the largest market share, adn if the facts get distorted along the way, well, "there's always retraction if we really really have to."
That sums up my opinion of the media today as well, except there are rarely retractions. At least not with the same hype and fervor as the original incorrect stories. It seems everyone (media) thinks they have to hit us over the head to get our attention.

Its not that I dont take this outbreak serious or but I also don't think its the start of the Apocalypse either

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get these pallets of canned food and duct tape into my bunker!

SusanR68

Apr 26, 2009
I just heard that they are closing down after school sports in a bunch of states....while this Swine flu is scary, does anyone think this is the right course of action, or is this simply overreacting?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ElliottCarasDad said:
Now if you'll excuse me I have to get these pallets of canned food and duct tape into my bunker!
Post of the day! Hope you have a hand crank interwebs machine in there....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
SusanR68 said:
I just heard that they are closing down after school sports in a bunch of states....while this Swine flu is scary, does anyone think this is the right course of action, or is this simply overreacting?
I've kicked that one around. On the one hand after school activities are not vital (they are certainly worthwhile, but probably not vital to miss a week or two) so, that makes them a good target if you're trying to cut down on the number of potential exposures.

But what happens instead is the question in my mind. If all the kids an parents go off to restaurants and shopping malls is the risk of exposure any less? Haven't you just moved the risk from one place to another.

I guess thinking if you are going to take this kind of action, don't you also want to ask the general populace to consider less social gathering in general for a short period of time?

On the one hand it seems like some prudent caution and limiting exposures now could help slow the spread and hopefully bring it to an end sooner. On the other hand will voluntary efforts really put any significant dent in the risk pool or is it like giving people spoons to help with sand-bagging....?

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
SusanR68 said:
I think it depends on whether they're closing down all after-school activities or just the ones that have students interacting with groups of students from other schools.

Intermural sports? That makes sense, I suppose. Glee club, chess club, cheerleading practice, and regular practices of the teams that would normally be visiting other schools? Considering that those sorts of activities are done with a whole bunch of other kids that they <I>just spent the rest of the day with...</I>

Makes about as much sense as slaughtering the pigs in Egypt. :twitcy:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
zeitgeist said:
I think it depends on whether they're closing down all after-school activities or just the ones that have students interacting with groups of students from other schools.

Intermural sports? That makes sense, I suppose. Glee club, chess club, cheerleading practice, and regular practices of the teams that would normally be visiting other schools? Considering that those sorts of activities are done with a whole bunch of other kids that they <I>just spent the rest of the day with...</I>

Makes about as much sense as slaughtering the pigs in Egypt. :twitcy:
I agree Zeit. here in MI they've closed a couple schools but some are still having their after school activities as planned

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
It looks like a blizzard has hit Texas. On the news this morning, you would be amazed at all the school closings scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my BIL was in Texas last week and got home yesterday. He still lives with my MIL and she's a bit pissy with me because I said I can't allow either of them to come around us for at least a few days

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Eli's got the flu. :( All I can say is that it better be the regular one. Either way, he is really really sick right now I feel so bad for him I just can't do enough.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yep, daughter woke up with a cough and slight fever so we headed to the doc today. It's a cold, thank goodness.

Yet at the same time, in my mind I'm thinking "I really brought her in here for a cold???" Crazy times.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
1. Your more likely to die from 'normal' influenza.
2. Happily laugh at those refraining from pork and killing their pigs, swine flu is not a swine pathogen.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Jeremy+3 said:
1. Your more likely to die from 'normal' influenza.
2. Happily laugh at those refraining from pork and killing their pigs, swine flu is not a swine pathogen.
very true, very true :)

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008

It may spread as fast as anything, but it seems like it's going to be a heck of a lot less harmful than was initially feared. Thank goodness.

There are times when you find yourself happy to be proven wrong. Like me now.