Tactfully encouraging healthier behavior...?...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Skyburning said:
I don't think that's true for all WIC programs. I receive WIC and they haven't done anything at all to stress the importance of proper diet to me.
I recieved WIC for a while with Debralyn and the same was true of our experience

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Wow, when I was getting it with my children, we had classes to attend every other month in order to stay eligible. I just presumed, since it's a federal program, the requirements were the same across the board.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I had it for about 6 months here and 6 months in Wisc - while it is a federal program, the actual running of it is left to those doing it. I was nursing, so I think I had to attend one class in Indiana for that (just b/f he was born, I think it was?). Other wise, giving him a book about food (Lunch and I will never not ever eat a tomato) constituted as a training. We stopped in one day and they just glanced him over and gave him a toothbrush. I think that counted as a class too. There has to be some kind of educational offering, but there is broad discretion.
Have to say, I wouldn't have minded a class or 2 on healthy meals on a budget or a recipe station. It's tough sometimes.
I would have been offended too - especially if the doc didn't think there was a problem. but I think there is a definate need for food education - especially in lower income homes. I can't afford to pay 3.99 for blueberries, so I'd love some education on healthy alternatives to unaffordable fresh fruit and such... and there are always those who just don't care... I was at Aldi's one day, and there was this little girl who was probably 7, and I have no doubt that she weighed more than me. She was standing on one of the 2 carts her dad was using - which were filled to overflowing with pop, chips, cheetos, etc. it just amazes me. My friend's family isn't THAT bad - but I just don't understand how you could do that to your kid!
I know my aunt refused to go back after they told her she drank too much pop when she was pregnant (it's a simple truth, however. I stocked up their house when they had a crisis, and bought 3 cases of Mtn Dew b/c I knew it was her favorite and that if she went through caffiene w/d, her kids would be the ones to deal with it. less than a week later, I stopped back out, and all the pop was gone. that's craziness.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Teresa said:
Wow, when I was getting it with my children, we had classes to attend every other month in order to stay eligible.
We received WIC for a time as well and this was true for us. In addition to required classes, they also provided nutritional pamplets and they even had a required seminar led by one of the local colleges that outlined programs to help people get started on their education that otherwise could not afford to do so.