The Sex Offender - NEXT DOOR...

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
Good Wolf said:
So if you didn't have a sex offender next to you your doors would be wide open and you wouldn't educate your kids about predators?

I think everyone should go about security and education with the assumption that a predator lives next door because I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of them that haven't been caught. Frankly I'm more worried about the ones that aren't registered.

It is a fact that most victims are abused by family members or friends of the family. Not the stranger next door.

I don't think pedaphiles should ever be let out of prison. There is something wrong with them that prison, counceling, or any other form of 'rehabilitation' will fix. The same can be said of anyone that can force another person to have intercourse.

It really sucks for those that are wrongly accussed but have to break some eggs to make an omelet. I just wish there wasn't so many women out there using sexual allegations as weapons. It would make the actual cases a lot easier to prosecute, and they would probably carry a larger penalty.
No my door has always been closed and locked before they moved there!!

I agree!

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
hwnorth said:
If I can make a point of how much we trust "friends" ...

Joy- according to you, everyone who views this site is your friend, as by posting the links to their offenses, you just gave everyone that views this site your exact address, all the while, we know exactly what your three angels look like. Please go back and re-read your first post and evaluate all the information youve given out to someone who might target a situation like that.

This is simply a point to open EVERYONES eyes... (Joy I hope you remove those links SOON).... we feel safe in many situations where we truly arent.
Thanks and your right!

I got it edited, THANKS!

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
<r><QUOTE author="HappyMomma;44969"><s>
HappyMomma said:
</s>Is that per capita? Texas is quite large.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

That is the total number of REGISTERED sex offenders in all of Texas with a population of 23.5 million, therefor 0.24 % <br/>
<br/>
As for the number of unregistered or havent been caught, heres a few facts<br/>
<br/>
- There are 603,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S. and at least 100,000 are noncompliant, many of them literally missing<br/>
<br/>
- “One in five girls and one in ten boys will be sexually victimized in some way before they reach the age of 18. We know that sex offenders who target children are likely to be repeat offenders,”<br/>
<br/>
- 60,000 to 70,000 arrests each year for sex crimes against children<br/>
<br/>
...from what Ive read and understand, for every sex offender in the USA, there is at least 1.3 that arent registered.<br/>
<br/>
As for how many out there? .. I would say the numbers would be at least 4 times that. Many women dont report it and most cases of male rape arent EVER reported. As well, I dont believe that rape during incarceration is included in these numbers.</r>

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
I dont hold water in the "neighborhood where those things just don't happen." theory. I recall Clifford Olson, pedophile serial killer who was caught not far from where I grew up ... Willie Pickton... whos farm Ive been to... and recently ... 3 children murdered in a small town called Merritt .... google them ... interesting

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I think it could happen anywhere too. Places you probably wouldn't even think it would. Like here where we live. I am sure it has and does but the crime rate is so low and everyone knows everyone and the ones you don't know you just do not let your children go around there.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
<r><QUOTE author="hwnorth;45046"><s>
hwnorth said:
</s>That is the total number of REGISTERED sex offenders in all of Texas with a population of 23.5 million, therefor 0.24 % <br/>
<br/>
As for the number of unregistered or havent been caught, heres a few facts<br/>
<br/>
- There are 603,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S. and at least 100,000 are noncompliant, many of them literally missing<br/>
<br/>
- “One in five girls and one in ten boys will be sexually victimized in some way before they reach the age of 18. We know that sex offenders who target children are likely to be repeat offenders,”<br/>
<br/>
- 60,000 to 70,000 arrests each year for sex crimes against children<br/>
<br/>
...from what Ive read and understand, for every sex offender in the USA, there is at least 1.3 that arent registered.<br/>
<br/>
As for how many out there? .. I would say the numbers would be at least 4 times that. Many women dont report it and most cases of male rape arent EVER reported. As well, I dont believe that rape during incarceration is included in these numbers.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
This is scarey. Put them statistics together and then add it with the number of ones that haven't been caught. It almost makes you not want to leave your house.....ever.</r>

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
We went to the store today and as I was walking around I thought of this. I wonder how many sex offender's did I just walk by? How many of them looked my at my little girls? That was enough to make me want take them and run.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
ljmahr said:
We went to the store today and as I was walking around I thought of this. I wonder how many sex offender's did I just walk by? How many of them looked my at my little girls? That was enough to make me want take them and run.
Laura, Did you perceive that you were in any danger while in the store, at risk going back out to your car?

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
UPDATE: Well I called and he (the new one) DOES NOT live next door, they are not sure how the address got crossed and listed unless they mixed the last names up some sort of way since they are the same, but he does NOT live there!!

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Joy said:
UPDATE: Well I called and he (the new one) DOES NOT live next door, they are not sure how the address got crossed and listed unless they mixed the last names up some sort of way since they are the same, but he does NOT live there!!
Are their people next door with the same names?

elvenrunelord

Apr 9, 2008
You know i read somewhere that sex offenders that get treatment, 93 out of 100 never re-offend. Perhaps you should get to know the person behind the offense before you start freaking out. I'm sure your away that people can be falsely accused of something as well. And admission of guilt is not really proof that the party is guilty either......if i was in that situation and a DA came at me saying either plead guilty and take 3 years or fight it and i'll send you to jail for 25 ( had a friend that this happened to ) I'd probably plead guilty as well. Its the same concept as the torture thing that is in the news now. Anyone with any common sense knows that if you torture someone they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to stop. Same with someone who has been accused in the legal system and who does not have an good enough defense to save him or herself.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
<r><QUOTE author="elvenrunelord;45943"><s>
elvenrunelord said:
</s>You know i read somewhere that sex offenders that get treatment, 93 out of 100 never re-offend...... Anyone with any common sense knows that if you torture someone they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to stop. Same with someone who has been accused in the legal system and who does not have an good enough defense to save him or herself.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

First off, torture tactics arent QUITE that easy... ask anyone thats trained in them (special enforcement agencies including military)<br/>
<br/>
second - could you quote where your stats come from? <br/>
<br/>
<br/>
&lt;FONT font="times,palatino"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<FONT font="times,palatino">[FONT=times,palatino]&lt;/s&gt;&lt;SIZE size="4"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="150">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="verdana,helvetica,arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<FONT font="verdana,helvetica,arial">[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]&lt;/s&gt;&lt;SIZE size="2"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="100">&lt;/s&gt;Studies that tracked groups of sex offenders over their lifetimes found that 52 percent of diagnosed pedophiles who molested boys committed another sex crime while nearly 40 percent of rapists who targeted adult women offended again, according to the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abuse.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;e&gt;
</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;
</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt; &lt;FONT font="times,palatino"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Multiple research studies have found that between four and 10 percent of offenders who targeted children in their families committed new sex offenses after their convictions, the association says. By contrast, a 1995 study found that offenders who targeted boys unrelated to them had recidivism rates of 35 percent.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="times,palatino"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<FONT font="times,palatino">[FONT=times,palatino]&lt;/s&gt;&lt;SIZE size="4"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="150">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="verdana,helvetica,arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<FONT font="verdana,helvetica,arial">[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]&lt;/s&gt;&lt;SIZE size="2"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="100">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;e&gt;
</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;
</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="times,palatino"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;All this research comes with important caveats, most significantly that official recidivism rates in sex crimes are likely to be artificially low because a significant number of offenses are believed by experts to go unreported.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="times,palatino"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; Given the widespread underreporting of sex crimes, she said, a significant number of sex offenders have likely had multiple victims by the time they finally get arrested. But she said that an arrest — and the public shame that comes with it — is for many offenders the "line in the sand."&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I would have a huge problem with a sex offender living next door to me and my kids. </SIZE>[/FONT]
</SIZE>[/FONT]
It seems that the stats elvenrunelord stated is really high. But even if it is that high, would you still want to take the chance that the neighbor is in the 93 or in the 7? I don't gamble with money....let alone my children. </SIZE>[/FONT]

Ilovemykids324

Apr 19, 2008
budnkota said:
I understand your concern, but before freaking out too much, I would look up what they were convicted for. The odds are slim with 2 of them, but there is a chance that it could have nothing to do with children. Perhaps a 21 yr old who had sex with his 17 year old girlfriend or something? It helps to be armed with knowledge.
That said, I used to have a sex offender neighbor. I already told this story in the other sex offender thread, but nobody bothered to tell me that - until the man told me himself. I never had any problems with him, and when 16-yr-old brother kept trying to strike up a conversation with him (not realizing he shouldn't), it was this guy who told me what the situation was.

I agree, I'd want to know WHAT he was convicted for before I start freaking out. This same thing happened to my sister who lives in Georgia, she had a sex offender move in next to her, and get this, the guy was convicted for having sex WITH HIS DOG, yes, the man was an animal molester, haha. So if it's something like that, I'd make sure to keep an eye out on your dogs, lol. But seriously, find out what it was he was convicted for.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ilovemykids324 said:
I agree, I'd want to know WHAT he was convicted for before I start freaking out. This same thing happened to my sister who lives in Georgia, she had a sex offender move in next to her, and get this, the guy was convicted for having sex WITH HIS DOG, yes, the man was an animal molester, haha. So if it's something like that, I'd make sure to keep an eye out on your dogs, lol. But seriously, find out what it was he was convicted for.

Beastiality. Friends of mine were just talking about that the other day. Who, in their right mind, would sleep with an animal. Nasty.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Pack up and move...sounds harsh eh?,

...but if you don't you will worry about this every minute of every day, your daughter's will be trapped in your home (as you mentioned), your property value will decrease as more people find out there is a S.O. in the neighbourhood, and because there are 2 of them, the threat just doubled.

Moving doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Oh ya, those who said to get to know them and make friends with them...you're out of your minds.

Maybe they'd like to buy your home. :)