Toddler Harnesses...

How would you react to a child in a harness?...

• I'd confront the mother about my dislike....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would mind my own business....

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
What would your reaction be if you saw a mother with a child in a harness?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My reaction isn't listed in the poll. I would smile at the parent and give him/her a thumbs up, and possibly make some type of supportive comment. In fact, I've actually done this a few times.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I wouldn't say anything as I have one. It looks like a bear (but Nihcole call sit her monkey shhhh). She thinks its funny and laughs when we use it. Of course I call it a leash cuz I think its funny myself. I always said I would NEVER use one till I had a very independent 14 month old at the airport in the middle of the night in Las Vegas for 6 hours. It was so nice!!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'd like to hear from the men.

I was talking to a friend/acquaintenance of mine and he said that if I brought Oliver to the coffee shop we frequent that I might get a lot of bad words.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
the only reactions I have ever gotten for it were smiles and giggles and I need on of them comments!! lol
I don't use it often though, may 3 times since she was 14 months old.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I would mind my own business...I disapprove of kid leashes. I have seen two occasions where I could agree they were necessary. My cousin son with CP. He's as big and strong as a 5 yo but has the mental capacity of a 2yo(maybe younger). I also saw a mom with twin girls waiting for the bus on a busy street.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Lissa said:
I'd like to hear from the men.

I was talking to a friend/acquaintenance of mine and he said that if I brought Oliver to the coffee shop we frequent that I might get a lot of bad words.

I'd have to share some bad (toddler appropriate) words with *him* also, then.

*him* being whoever says bad words to you.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Lissa said:
May I ask why you disapprove?
Yes. From my personal observations most of the people using the harnessess are absente parents. It's much easier to just leash your kid then make them mind.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
1dayatatime said:
Yes. From my personal observations most of the people using the harnessess are absente parents. It's much easier to just leash your kid then make them mind.
That may be true..but better to have an unobserved kid safely on a "leash" than snatched by a stranger or run out into traffic, no?

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Skyburning said:
That may be true..but better to have an unobserved kid safely on a "leash" than snatched by a stranger or run out into traffic, no?
Ugh. I can't even wrap my head around that. I hear what your saying though. Maybe the parent could wear a leash and be attached to CPS to learn how to be a better parent. Like I said earlier there are some situations that it would not be possible to parent successfully without a leash.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I can see what you mean 1day. I really do I kinda feel that way about parents who use strollers. Sounds weird I know. But I think many parents use them because its easier then holding their child. It then see parents give their kids a bottle of whatever while strolling through the mall. I keep thinking "MY GOD Pick up your child already!!" but then I remember, hey maybe they have been holding them for the last 2 hours and their backs are sore. Its hard to know. I don't use strollers and don't plan to either. I mean they have their purpose I suppose but many parents use them all the time instead of letting thier child walk or be held.
Same with the leash (harness to be pc) some parents may use it because they are lazy, but I can tell you when I use it (though rarely) its not because I am lazy, its because of the type of child I have. My dd is so very independent, she won't sit in a stroller (never has hence why we don't use them) she doesn't want to be held, to ride in a cart, she wants to walk, and God forbid she holds your hand!! She has not wanted to do that often since she was 11 months old and learned to walk away lol. She wants to walk next to me, and not far. She doens't typically try to run away from you and will come to you very quickly (most of the time lol) when you call her. But in crowds like the zoo of whatever, the leash is just an added security that she won't get pulled away from me. Ya know?

hope that makes some sense, its late and I am off to bed in a few

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
As a general rule, I am opposed to them based on principle. It's like your child is a dog... that said, I have a friend who's planning to use one when the new baby is born. Her 2-year-old has no concept of roads (I was warned of this, and was STILL shocked when I watched him one weekend). For her not to use one could be dangerous for that child. She also has a 4-y-o and an mild autism spectrum 6-y-o, so there will just be too much going on for this not to be almost necessary.

unless they never leave the house again, of course! :)

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Mind my own business. I used one when DS was young, in a few very crowded, hectic situations. In a choice between that and possibly losing him in an international airport, it was a no brainer for me.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would mind my own business..........however, my oppinon on leashes is that if you are going to have your child out and about walking with you and you need a leash to control them, maybe they shouldn't be out and about. If a child cannot respond to you to "stay by your side" or "not to run off" then to me they shouldn't have the privledge of being out of the stroller.

Thats just IMO

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
have you ever tried to put my child in a stroller? lol It doesn't work. She will scream and scream and scream and scream and scream. We would never go out. Again I have only used her leash twice in her life but when I have, Thank God for it!!!

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Well if she screams and scream and screams, then she shouldn't have the privledge of going out at all. That kind of behaviour if you don't squash it will continue