Toddler Harnesses...

How would you react to a child in a harness?...

• I'd confront the mother about my dislike....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would mind my own business....

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
As I said, when I used it, it was in a crowded international airport, where I was trying to get a very independent 2 1/2 yr old from one end of the airport to the other, so we didn't miss our flight. A stroller would have gotten in everyone's way, and carrying him would have been an affront to his independence. Using a harness was a win-win situation, and made the trip enjoyable for both of us, not a power struggle. AND, since we were moving from the US to Germany for three years, I couldn't very well just NOT take him out with me. LOL

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Teresa said:
As I said, when I used it, it was in a crowded international airport, where I was trying to get a very independent 2 1/2 yr old from one end of the airport to the other, so we didn't miss our flight. A stroller would have gotten in everyone's way, and carrying him would have been an affront to his independence. Using a harness was a win-win situation, and made the trip enjoyable for both of us, not a power struggle. AND, since we were moving from the US to Germany for three years, I couldn't very well just NOT take him out with me. LOL
thats how we were as well

Why would I aquash independence? I think its great that she is so independent and wants to do things herself. Of course I do get sick of "I do it myself" 100 times a day, but in the end its great that she wants to be that way. I think strollers are great in a few situations just as I do harnesses. I think parents over use strollers and should be holding their children more

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
You've missed the point. You don't squash independance, you squash the bad behaviour. If you need her to be in the stroller and she screams why are you letting her scream? and then why are you giving in and letting her walk around (this is a senerio that you <I>NEED </I>to use the stroller). It just doesn't make sense that if she throws a fit, why do you reward it by letting her walk? To me i would tell her its in the stroller or she doesn't go. (remmeber its a senerio that you need her in the stroller).

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
she hasn't used a stroller since she was a baby because I feel the same way about strollers that you do about the harness. I think strollers are crazy. Why push a child around so that you can't see them? I think a child is better walking around on a harness then sittin on their butts in a stroller. And again I don't use a harness but 2 time in her life. I think I have used a stroller...maybe 3 or 4 times in her life. Now if I had twins, then a stroller might be understandable.

And I do see your point of not letting her scream, but the thing that I see, is if my child wants to exercise, then why make her sit on her booty. She needs to get up and run around

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I feel that my son is in danger. He is very fast and doesn't know better. He has already run into the street. I'm not going to risk him getting hit by a car or getting lost. I am all for harnesses and I think that it is a good invention. You are giving the child a sense of freedom while at the same time protecting them. And isn't that our job...to protect them?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Wow... Interesting different POVs. As I mentioned before, I had a harness when my kids were little but rarely used it. Only in crowded public areas where their safety was of utmost importance.

I used a stroller often, especially after baby #2 arrived. It's impossible to carry an infant and a toddler at the same time while trying to grocery shop and run errands, etc.. As a SAHM with a DH who worked long, crazy hours, I simply HAD to take the kids with me if we went anywhere. You can't stay home all the time.

Obviously some of you don't have a strong willed child. LOL!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Trina said:
Wow... Interesting different POVs. As I mentioned before, I had a harness when my kids were little but rarely used it. Only in crowded public areas where their safety was of utmost importance.

I used a stroller often, especially after baby #2 arrived. It's impossible to carry an infant and a toddler at the same time while trying to grocery shop and run errands, etc.. As a SAHM with a DH who worked long, crazy hours, I simply HAD to take the kids with me if we went anywhere. You can't stay home all the time.

Well said!!

I would put him in a stroller but he gets very antsy and I like him to have the freedom of walking by himself.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I would mind my own business, but in my head I would be LMAO.

I don't dislike them at all, or have any problem with them what-so-ever, I just think they're funny.

I know that some people need to use them,..I always wondered why my brother didn't with is over-active autistic son, but he managed fine.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Right now Nolan enjoys his stroller more than he enjoys being held. When I take him to the park for walks in his stroller he can look around and see everything (he smiles the whole time, it's adorable) but if I am holding him he can't see much at all.. We'll see what he prefers as he gets older, though.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Trina said:
Thats funny. Bubba has three choices: walk holding my hand, be carried, or ride in the cart/stroller. After one rotation he will usually decide on walking holding my hand. My will is stronger young skywalker.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
1dayatatime said:
Thats funny. Bubba has three choices: walk holding my hand, be carried, or ride in the cart/stroller. After one rotation he will usually decide on walking holding my hand. My will is stronger young skywalker.
My DD's three choices are exactly the same. The odd time she likes a buggy ride, but for the most part, she will hold my hand, or walk directly beside me.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Music-dad said:
My DD's three choices are exactly the same. The odd time she likes a buggy ride, but for the most part, she will hold my hand, or walk directly beside me.
walk is my dd's number one choice as well

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
1dayatatime said:

Like I said, some of you don't have a strong willed child. ;) My son was similar to Bubba. He listened and was fairly easy to discipline. At the time I thought parents who had difficulty with their kids simply weren't parenting properly. Then DD came along. LOL! Very strong willed. You could give her three choices and she would not like any of them. In that case, we would abruptly leave, but that's not always an option. I remember going back to the van many times for Time Outs with her, loss of privileges, etc. but even then she would carry on. Sometimes you just need to choose your battles. She is still our challenging child, despite the fact that we're not lazy, spineless parents.

I remember reading an article written by Dr. Sears a few years ago. He went on to explain how he and his wife, both pedicatricians, couldn't understand why parents had such problems with their kids. After all, they had 3 children at the time and with proper discipline, they were well behaved. Then he said he and his wife had an eye opening experience when Baby #4 was born. Very high maintenance and strong willed! Then he and his wife "got it" and were more empathetic towards other parents who had strong willed children.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Trina said:
Like I said, some of you don't have a strong willed child. ;) My son was similar to Bubba. He listened and was fairly easy to discipline. At the time I thought parents who had difficulty with their kids simply weren't parenting properly. Then DD came along. LOL! Very strong willed. You could give her three choices and she would not like any of them. In that case, we would abruptly leave, but that's not always an option. I remember going back to the van many times for Time Outs with her, loss of privileges, etc. but even then she would carry on. Sometimes you just need to choose your battles. She is still our challenging child, despite the fact that we're not lazy, spineless parents.

I remember reading an article written by Dr. Sears a few years ago. He went on to explain how he and his wife, both pedicatricians, couldn't understand why parents had such problems with their kids. After all, they had 3 children at the time and with proper discipline, they were well behaved. Then he said he and his wife had an eye opening experience when Baby #4 was born. Very high maintenance and strong willed! Then he and his wife "got it" and were more empathetic towards other parents who had strong willed children.
thats so true and funny!!!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
True. DD gets in her moods where its her way or the highway. No matter what you say or do she has put her little foot down. You definatly have to pick your battles.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
1dayatatime said:
I would mind my own business...I disapprove of kid leashes. I have seen two occasions where I could agree they were necessary. My cousin son with CP. He's as big and strong as a 5 yo but has the mental capacity of a 2yo(maybe younger). I also saw a mom with twin girls waiting for the bus on a busy street.
Yea I want to know why you disapprove as well. I don't care for the harnesses myself but I don't mind the wrist one's. I don't think the chest harness actually teaches a child to be independant but held back. A child is held by the hand so I guess I would approve the wrist one. My reasoning though.:embarrassed:

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Lissa said:
What would your reaction be if you saw a mother with a child in a harness?
I'd think "Been there, done that."

When my son was 18 months old there was simply no way to go out in public with him unless he was wearing the harness. We usually let him run around with the harness hanging on his back - but there were times when we NEEDED him to not run off regardless of how much he wanted to heed us.

For instance, I've got this great photo of Tali at a hobby-farm - there's this great big hissing goose, telling us in no uncertain terms that we were TOO CLOSE... and there's Tali straining against the harness - desperately trying to leap into the danger.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Yea I want to know why you disapprove as well. I don't care for the harnesses myself but I don't mind the wrist one's. I don't think the chest harness actually teaches a child to be independant but held back. A child is held by the hand so I guess I would approve the wrist one. My reasoning though.:embarrassed:
ha.

i wish.