Toddler Proofing...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I need some help with a few things.

First, the trash can. Does anyone know of place that sells toddler-proof trash cans? Do they exist?

I also need help with a dresser. I'll have to take pics of it when I get home. None of the drawer locks I've bought work on this particular dresser.

Also, how about something for the toilet paper roll?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Buy a small trash can and put it under your kitchen sink and keep a bigger one in the garage for the big garbage?

The dresser I would nail from the inside to the wall or put bungy cords around it to hold the drawers shut or remove the dresser altogether.
When mine were toddlers I put the garbage can in the garage. I also put their dresser in their closet and had a lock on their closet door.
Take the toilet paper off the hook and leave it on top of the toilet tank? It's only for a short while. He'll learn. Or shut the bathroom door.
That's all I got.. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
Buy a small trash can and put it under your kitchen sink and keep a bigger one in the garage for the big garbage?

The dresser I would nail from the inside to the wall or put bungy cords around it to hold the drawers shut or remove the dresser altogether.
When mine were toddlers I put the garbage can in the garage. I also put their dresser in their closet and had a lock on their closet door.
Take the toilet paper off the hook and leave it on top of the toilet tank? It's only for a short while. He'll learn. Or shut the bathroom door.
That's all I got.. :)
The trash can idea won't work because we don't have a garage. But I was thinking about bungee cords. The dressers I have don't have anything to latch onto. Hard to explain without actually seeing it. I've searched and searched online and can't find anything that will keep the drawers shut. Hm. Bungee cords. I wonder how long they make them.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Bungy cords come in all sizes.
What about temporarily using velcro? The sticky velcro? So when you open the door you'll have to give it a good tug?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
Bungy cords come in all sizes.
What about temporarily using velcro? The sticky velcro? So when you open the door you'll have to give it a good tug?
You are BRILLIANT!!!! Thanks!

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
It is pretty. I personally would never spend $189 on trash, but it looks like it would be hard for a toddler to work.

Luckily for me the trash never fascinated mine.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Lissa said:
I need some help with a few things.

First, the trash can. Does anyone know of place that sells toddler-proof trash cans? Do they exist?
yeah, bungee cords or similar.

Lissa said:
I also need help with a dresser. I'll have to take pics of it when I get home. None of the drawer locks I've bought work on this particular dresser.
we put just elastic bands around the door knobs.

Lissa said:
Also, how about something for the toilet paper roll?
this one's easy. close the toilet door.

either that, or abandon the toilet roll holder. For the first year we lived in our new home we had to have the toilet paper up on the table top.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa I don't know how restricted you want to make Oliver but I had those snap in baby gates in certain parts of the house. My room was off limits, the bathroom was off limits and I even blocked of the kitchen. They were free to roam but only in certain parts.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yeah, we had one of those 4 sided baby jails, and we used to put sections of it around the house: it's served as a kitchen-blocker, computer-blocker and vegie-garden blocker at various times.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
We replaced all our trashcans downstairs with ones similar to the Williams-Sonoma pic. So far our kids can't figure them out in the short period of time before they are picked up and redirected. We also keep them away from the bathroom and kitchen, even with the hard-to-open trash cans. There's too much mischief there for toddler twins.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I want him to have access to most of the rooms, especially the bathroom since potty training is just around the corner. I'm going to get some velcro and see if that does the trick.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
evilbrent said:
yeah, bungee cords or similar.

we put just elastic bands around the door knobs.

this one's easy. close the toilet door.

either that, or abandon the toilet roll holder. For the first year we lived in our new home we had to have the toilet paper up on the table top.
I knew you'd have some good ideas. You people are just too creative.

I'm a perfectionist and rearranging my house is a challenge to me but I know it has to be done. I can't stand that the trash can is on the dryer, but I might have to live with it for a little while, right?

Kids really turn our lives upside down, don't they?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would also just put the can under the sink. I put mine n my window ledge, but my ledges are quite large

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa, it may seem like a change now but he will really change so fast that this will be just a short time. I'm pretty sure I used baby gates in front of their rooms so they couldn't go in there without me too. It's been so long. I was worried about choking or absurd things. I was seriously a panicked mom.