Top 3 things...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
singledad said:
If they're RSPCA approved, they should be whole lot better than battery eggs. If understand correctly, then at least the hens get to keep their beaks and they get to move around a bit (though not a lot, given how many are still crowded into a barn.) Not ideal, but a step in the right direction.

LOL, see? I can't shut up about it. But I believe if I get one person to take one step in the right direction (ie. away from animal cruelty) then I have accomplished something. :p
RSPCA eggs get 2 inches more room per hen, they are still force fed steroids and kept in 23 hour artificial light.

Battery and barn hens are being banned here soon, a foreign company tried to open an intensive cattle farm here but it was refused, we've never had one and we aren't going to start now. They wanted to have them hooked up literally 24 hours a day for milking as well, how sick is that.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
mum has a chook shed so her chooks are all free range so i go to her house once a week and she gives me a dozen eggs. so i guess thats the only free range thing i eat.. at least its something

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
For you ladie's that have husbands who work odd shift's. I have had that problem for 20+ years. This is how I handled it with my parents.

I went over to their house on my lunch 03:00 am. Woke them both up and asked them to come out to the living room telling I had something very important I needed to talk to them about. After everyone got set down with the lights on. I politely explained that this was my lunch, and I sleep when I can in order to be safe at my job. If they needed to talk about something I had plenty of time now. That got the message across.

What I do now, is call them before I go to bed asking if they need anything before I go to sleep. This has been working very good for me.

My peeve's.

I dont like people who pick on people "because they can"

Poor hygiene.

And people who watch a news show and think they understand politics. To much bad information. I should add biased news programs.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Jeremy+3 said:
RSPCA eggs get 2 inches more room per hen, they are still force fed steroids and kept in 23 hour artificial light.

Battery and barn hens are being banned here soon, a foreign company tried to open an intensive cattle farm here but it was refused, we've never had one and we aren't going to start now. They wanted to have them hooked up literally 24 hours a day for milking as well, how sick is that.
free-range aren't inocent either. they still can be fed chemicals.
as for pork... do you know, that a dead pig shipped to Britain and cut up here counts as "British pork"?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
TabascoNatalie said:
free-range aren't inocent either. they still can be fed chemicals.
as for pork... do you know, that a dead pig shipped to Britain and cut up here counts as "British pork"?
Yes, which is why I don't buy meat from supermarkets, it say on the packaging where it was butchered, not where it was reared. If it is reared in the UK they name the farmer and the farms location, e.g. Shropshire.

Yeah here they still select hens that lay larger eggs for free range eggs, we have our own chickens but when they occasionally don't lay many, especially during the winter months we get organic free range eggs. They're not allowed to feed free range hens steroids, the only chemicals they can give them are for illness, we have to have an inspection quite often to ensure we aren't giving our hens something we shouldn't.

I think beak trimming was banned this year, I know it is being banned very soon if it hasn't already been out lawed.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I haven't found much in the way of free range eggs, but we used to get them from DH's grandma when she had her own chickens. I was much happier with those, I wish she still had those chickens lol. I bet if I looked hard enough I could find a local farm aroud here that sells them. I do live in farm country after all haha.

Singledad - I know exactly what you mean! I have read a TON on the topic, and watched countless videos and seen the horrible things they do to animals to mass produce their products. :( Not to mention the GROSS things they do that directly apply to me eating them, you know?? I wish we had free range everything around here, that's all I would buy if it wasn't outrageous or anything. Thankfully I can at least get my chicken that way. It says right on the package "free range, no antibiotics or sterriods" etc. That much makes me happy at least. :)

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
sometimes my grandpa gives me meat when he kills one of his cows too and occasionally we go to a dairy and get fresh milk.. so i don't do too bad. i just don't tend to buy it in the shops lol

BrissyMumma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2010
Brisbane Australia
<SIZE size="150"><U>Firstly</U></SIZE>
BREASTFEEDING NATZIS ( as they should be called) Im all for your own opinion but i dont like women who put mums like me who formula fed down, tell us we are being cruel or depriving our babies. I HATE women who push and shove crap down our throats. Grrrr

<SIZE size="150"><U>Secondly</U></SIZE>
People who bash ALL teen mums.
I had my son at 17 and i cant stand people telling me my sons not looked after or telling me he'll never have anything or even those people who feel the need to sit there and explain HOW to parent your child and its not that they talk to you like your dumb but that your slow to. Im sorry but yes some teen mums are bad but I will now, tomorrow &amp; forever defend my right and ability to be a fantastic mother to my child.
<SIZE size="150"><U>
Thirdly
</U>
</SIZE>
Comparing kids accomplishments. It really peeves me off when you have family on your side or your partners or even friends who like to make kids accomplishments like teeth words walking etc a competition. Makes me angry and sad people can't just be happy for the kid
(ive had to deal with partners sister whos little girl is a month exactly older then Riley Make everything with our kids a competition....its more sad then anything)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with those things too BrissyMumma! Breastfeeding has been proven to be best, but I only breast fed my son for 2 months and then he was formula fed from there on. He honestly had a lot of problems with it so I'm going to try to go longer with this baby, but he turned out just fine and I didn't do it to hurt him for goodness sakes. So all in all, I think breast feeding is the best and most healthy and natural, but I don't ever think badly of parents who choose formula. Some women can't breast feed!! How is that their fault? Formula is fine.

There are just as many crappy adult parents out there as there are crappy teen parents, IMO. And the funny thing is, it doesn't matter how old you are, you will always have people up your butt telling you how to raise your kids lol. I had my son pretty young, at 20, and a lot of people still thought I was too young and stupid to be a good parent. :/

I agree with the competing thing too, that is so annoying. I like to compare, on a friendly and neutral level, just because I like to know where my kid is at compared to other kids his age. You can tell when someone thinks their kid is smarter/better than yours though and that always bothers the crap out of me.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I was 27 when I had my son. The FIRST thing that popped into my head when I got wheeled out of the hospital was, "I can't believe they let just anyone do this." You can have a good parent at any age just like you can have a bad one at any age.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
I agree about the breastfeeding thing too BrissyMama! I only breastfed my daughter for two weeks before my milk dried up. I went to a friends baby shower, and her sister-in-law saw me giving Hayleigh a bottle of formula and she LOST it on me! She was like "how dare you feed your child formula, if you can't breastfeed you should take the pills to make you lactate" and blah blah blah...i told her to "f" off (nicely of course). I totally understand where you are coming from on that subject :)

I was 21 when I had my daughter and I'll be 25 soon (yikes) and I still get told what to do with our daughter...its never ending. Teen parents are just as good as older parents, there are good and crappy parents of all ages :) So I definately hear ya on that one!

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i agree with the teen parent thing i get all the time that i should have put my children up for adoption.. i know i have 2 children and i am only 19... yes i know one of them is a 2 year old making me barely 17 when he was born but they have a roof over their heads i manage to pay rent every week. they get 3 meals per day plus snacks throughout the day. they are in new and clean clothes everyday. and above all they are loved and happy... so i feel i can't be doing to terrible of a job. and i may be young but i am being the best parent i possibly can. so i don't want to be criticized for my parenting capabilities based solely on my age!!!!!!!

golfer7

Dec 15, 2010
1. Organic food - I've read the articles and scholarly documents on both sides and made my decision and get frustrated by the bandwagon throw it in your face folks.

2. Tailgating - I'll put ya in my back seat when I brake tap ya.

3. Kids and cellphones - To me, it's ridiculous.

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
1. Young children whose parents take no responsibility for their actions eg totally demolishing (slight exaggeration) a waiting room while waiting for an appointment or their sibling in an appointment. Many parents bring nothing to entertain the young, waiting child and completely ignore them by reading a magazine themsleves. Meanwhile the waiting child is ripping up other magazines or pouring water on the floor, we even had one recently playing in the toilet!!!
2. Older children who have to be entertained by a 'gadget' all the time, when reading a book to them or encouraging them to read themselves would be so much more enriching.
3. Having children's every minute filled with an activity in instead of letting them play or read or just be a kid. After school activities are fabulous, but can be completlely over the top, when every afternoon is filled with them.

Have a happy Christmas break and enjoy spending quality time with your kiddies.

Aussie Barb