Two burned out parents....

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
What do you do when both parents are so burned out? My husband and I lately all we've been wanting to do is sleep. And Oliver has been acting up quite a bit. We had a date night two weeks ago which I thought would replenish us but we're both just moping around the house trying to put on a happy face for Oliver. Is this something that all parents go through? My husband asked me yesterday if it makes him a bad person if somedays he doesn't want to be a parent.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
We all get burned out every now and then! Being a parent is very hard work! I would suggest not a date night, but a small vacation. Find a family member to watch your child for a couple of days, and get away! It will re-energize you like you won't believe!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
sarushjr said:
We all get burned out every now and then! Being a parent is very hard work! I would suggest not a date night, but a small vacation. Find a family member to watch your child for a couple of days, and get away! It will re-energize you like you won't believe!
this is what Ryan and I do and it would help a lot if you guys could get away for a couple days

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
We have a mini-vacation (1 day) scheduled at the end of June at an amusement park. Does that sound good? Do we need something sooner?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I would probably try to take a touch more than 1 day...try to take a couple. Maybe go to the amusement park, then take a day at a state lodge or someplace secluded where you can get away from the daily grind of the world.

It's up to you if you need something sooner...The end of June isn't that far away, but if you need something now, do it!

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I definitely think you guys should plan more stuff to fix that.

Feelings like burn out lead to boredom in the marraige which just opens the door for bad things to happen. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
sarushjr said:
Do you have any extended family or friends that you trust to watch your child(ren)?
That's been the problem since day 1. Everybody works FT. :(

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
what about just taking a weekend...do you know anyone who has a saturday and sunday off so you guys could at least get away for a night or 2?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
FooserX said:
Why is your husband even burned out when he's not even doing anything? :p
I honestly don't know why he is the way he is with Oliver. I think he still lacks confidence. He gets annoyed by Oliver very quickly and that leads me to get even more frustrated. Yesterday I was mad at him because I felt like he was punishing me for going out the night before and having fun. I encourage him to get out and have fun but he'd rather sit on the couch and sleep and read comic books. I want him to go out and have fun because I know that I NEED to have fun. I encourage him to do things with Oliver like go the children's museum, go for walks, get outside and play. But he doesn't want to do those things. I dont' think he understands that Oliver needs activity. Oliver doesn't want to sit around the house and watch television. He's a very active boy.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
sarushjr said:
How about a weekend? Someone has to have the weekends off!
Maybe the weekend that we go to the amusement park, my parents can watch him for two days. I can definitely ask her. But is that soon enough, I don't know.

I have to mention also that I've been struggling with issues myself. Being a parent has been a huge trigger for me, especially when Oliver acts out. There are things that I've held inside since I was a child that need to be dealt with and it is my problem that I haven't dealt with them because I'm too afraid. But I keep getting triggered and I think that's what burns me out.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, your husband needs to understand that you can't park a 2 year old in front of a TV all day.

In his defense, however, his relaxation may be to sit on the couch and read comic books. I'm not much of a go-out type of person myself...i'd rather be at home relaxing.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Maybe you should dye your hair, and pretend to be another girl? Can you speak in any accents?

What happens if you just make plans to do stuff? Won't he go along? Maybe there's some movie you could rent about a dad who ignores his kid, and then misses out on his life...lol...then he could learn to appreciate the time he has with him now.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
It sounds to me that you need to get into some personal counseling. If you don't deal with these things that are buried inside of you, you're eventually going to explode and let it out on someone who doesn't deserve it. You need to be right within your self first before you can fully take care of someone else.

But, don't feel bad about getting burned out ...it's natural. You're working very hard raising that little boy.