Unsettled people having kids...

mrspineau

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2008
Canada
I think that the very fact that she is 24 and acting so irresponsibly with her own life shows her inability to make sensible decisions. Hopefully this will be a life changing experience for her.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
People have kids for the weirdest reasons sometimes. A girl I work with got pregnant just so she wouldn't have to go out on deployment. This girl already has a child that's 15 months, she can't stand her husband and wants to be separated, and not only that but she's been turned in for malnourished at daycare for her son. She refuses to give him a good amount of table food because she's so sure that he will get everything from the breast milk *that he wont take in a cup/sippy*. Stupid right?

Anyway, I just hope that these people's babies will come out alright. I hate to think of a child coming in to a life like that.

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
I think alot of people now a days are just...dumb. I mean, you see it in the media that this celebrity or that one has a kid and they get divorced and have kids with that one and on and on and on...Or this celebrity was arrested and they found cocaine on her but she's 4 months pregnant and IT'S OK...what people don't realize is that these celebrities have money...and they continue their career within a year of giving birth cause they can afford the BEST...they have the BEST pediatricians and the BEST full time nannies and on a week end where they are not working, they can jump in the private jets, cars etc and just go anywhere they choose. They can get plastic surgery or a personal full time trainer/dietician and lose all the weight they gained in 24 hours...and most of the time you don't even realize that they are pregnant because they have personal designers make them maternity clothes that cover their bumps...
Teenagers and young adults see this. They also see the ever emerging hip hop/urban culture where ghettos are glorified, smoking blunts is something YOU JUST DO...I mean...the tv generation (yes I'm part of it too) just has so much information thrown at them and they see these glorified "situations"...it's like they care more about what happens to Eminem or Paris Hilton than their own values and decisions in the four walls of their house.
Also, another big education gap is that there is lacking sex ed in schools. Obviously the condom talk or the pill talk and the OMG I can't believe I got pregnant the first time I had sex talk...but peer pressure, values in your community, actual responsibility (i.e. bills, work etc)... In grade 8, in our sex ed class (it was moral and personal development) we had to pair up with someone and for 2 weeks, carry around a bag of flour and pretend it was our baby. The next 2 weeks, we had an egg. Obviously after school, we left them in our lockers...BUT from 8:30am until 4:00 pm, we had to "share" our responsibility with our partners...and since EVERYONE at school knew that we had this project, there was no hiding it...all the teachers and students knew what we were doing, so we couldn't get away with anything...LOL...it was actually quite fun and alot happened during that month. If young adults got that type of education at a younger age, and weren't so misinformed, they would most like make less stupid decisions (i.e. having a kid for the wrong reasons)
When I run the world, I will put the stupid people on an island...oh wait, let me backtrack...us responsible, smart people will be on an island...the rest of the world will just eventually fade out...LOL...;-)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The bag of flour is funny. I think a mother should just wake her daughter up every two hours for a few weeks just to get the basic point across. lol

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
The bag of flour WAS hilarious...it was marked a certain way and had a sticker on it that only our sex ed teacher had access to, so no way where we getting away with dysfunctional parenting...LOL...also, we had to write a journal EVERY DAY and give it to our sex ed teacher...and we couldn't skip days cause we would automatically fail the experience. The things that 14 year olds think are a priority are hilarious!!! We had to write what we teached our bag of flour that day and what we were teaching them as values...LOL...it seems big, but we were also being taught from our teacher that having a kid isn't all about "cause everyone else is doing it, lets do it too"...right after that experience, we had career orientation seminars and even keeping up with people from my high school 10 years later, only 1 person out of 147 graduates had a kid before the age of 25...LOL...we're all career oriented people who decided to wait till we were older...LOL...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Wow, I guess it worked. I wonder what they do in schools now. I haven't ran across any student carrying flour. lol
Don't they have those dolls that are real to life?

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
my niece has the doll that performs bodily functions and stuff and it's hilarious cause she's so attentive to that one doll...
I hope for my stepson that when he gets to high school that they have programs like that, where they show you straight up that it might LOOK cool to have a baby...but you got to be ready for one...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I bought one of my daughters that baby alive and the first time it pee'd she was done with it. I guess she'll be in no hurry. ;)

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
lol!!!
it's like having a pet...it looks cute and shows love, but OMG if you don't train it, look after it...well, it's quite a big responsibility...I say when a couple starts thinking about kids, buy them a gold fish and see how long it lasts...LOL...

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
ok, a cat...or better yet a dog...since to have a dog means several walk a day, feeding etc...LOL...but also, you don't want to scare some people from teh get go, so just get a gold fish, a cat and a dog, and see how they fare with that!!! LOL...OR have them babysit for a full week end non stop...LOL...or just watch that movie I watched as a kid...what was it? the natural child brith process or something like that?
LOL

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I saw my neice born when I was twelve and it was the most beautiful thing ever. So that did not scare me to not have kids. hahaha

Babysitting a newborn did! I agree that's a good start...I don't think the reality of having to KEEP the baby would set in until it's really their though.