Weight Loss.......

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
So I thought I would make a thread about my weight loss journey after a hysterectomy, cuz to be honest, its sooooo hard to talk to my husband about everything.

After my hysterectomy I gained about 60 pounds (on top of my 40 from pregnancy). I cant believe I'm gonna give numbers, but I feel like I can talk to you guys about anything. When I was at my heaviest i was 248lbs (Im about 5'10'') So far ive lost 29lbs which has me sitting at 219lbs. I still feel gross and whale-like, but hopefully I can get back down close to my pre-baby 145lbs. Ugh, its definately not an easy road, but I lost weight over the holidays which is nice :)

I hope everyones christmas was great!!!!

xox

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Congradulations xox, 29 lbs is a lot of weight to loose. Be proud! I'm taking that same journey too, I'm a weight watcher and now that the holidays are over, I can get serious again.

Good luck.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's awesome ilu!! 29 lbs, that's crazy!! It is so hard to lose weight. I haven't gained much yet with this baby, but hopefully anything I gain wont be too hard to lose afterwards. I don't look forward to that battle! haha, although it was actually pretty easy after Eli. I'm hoping for the same kind of thing. Either way, seriously props to you and really its all about what makes you feel good about yourself, and being healthy as possible. :)

I haven't had too much of a problem with weight (though I wouldn't necessarily call myself skinny either), but I'm terribly out of shape as I basically never excersize, I have never been active throughout my life at all. Never in a sport at school or anything, never done anything regularly as an adult. I am just a non active person. I would love to become regularly active some day, maybe after this baby. I think I would feel so much better.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Wait... You LOST weight over the holidays?!? Thats possible?!

No, but seriously losing weight is hard to do and you definitely deserve a pat on the back for 29 pounds. So...*pat pat* congratulations :)

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
LOL! Thanks guys! I'm not an overly active person either Xero. I had a stint playing field hockey in highschool but that was about it. I'm gonna invest in a wii fit since i dont have the spare money nor time to go to the gym and do some yoga, its sooooo relaxing! hopefully I can keep it up haha!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
GREAT JOB xox!!! 29lbs is quite a bit of weight to be losing! I'm not sure of all of the 'science' behind it, but I do know that losing weight after a hysterectomy is no easy feat. Keep up the good work.

Because of where I live, it is a little easier to be active without a big effort. Our town is small, and I work in town, so I am always walking everywhere. I think I do the loop from my office to my store more than a dozen times a day. Although it's not far, it does involve a set of steps, a walk on the beach, so I get my exercise in...a little anyhow! Plus it's warm here, so people just don't seem to eat as much. It's the tropical frozen drinks and rum people have to look out for! They can pack some serious weight on you.

I'm now dealing with the post pregnancy belly. You know the one...that flabby tummy. It feels so weird to me. I've gone down a lot, like a whole lot, but she ain't what she used to be! I didn't think that I would be down this much already. I figured my older body wouldn't react this fast. I'm not even going to worry about it at this point. I'm way hungrier now with breastfeeding than I ever was pregnant. Trying to remember, "you are still eating for two". Not even going to try to squeeze my a$$ into my pre-pregnancy clothes for awhile. I don't need that kind of disappointment! I'm stickin' with my maternity clothes until I think I will not see a great big muffin top when putting on my regular clothes.

xox, keep us posted!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
So, you're about 70 inches tall right? So that means at the end you should weigh between like 174 and 130 lbs. So, if you keep going the way you're going, you should get their fairly well, just don't expect it to happen quickly, you need to take your time in doing it.

What sort of exercises are you doing at the minute, or are you just focusing more on diet at the moment? Swimming is really good if your confident enough about your body to go swimming, most pools do regular aqua aerobics sessions that are fairly cheap.

You could do toning exercises as well and general strength building, like push ups, lifting weights, instead of sit ups what you can do is in any position pull your stomach muscles in and pull your pelvic muscles for a count of ten. Try to breath normally while you do if, do it for a while before you do something like sit ups, as you need some stomach strength to do them, otherwise it makes your stomach muscles supple, instead of tight.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I have also heard its not easy to lose after a hysterectomy, I don't remember the science of it either, but even when my mom got hers done she had a lot of trouble shedding pounds.

Julie - I bet you'll be back to pretty much normal in no time, especially with the breast feeding. :) I remember my swollen/flappy belly after pregnancy belly went away in just a couple months. I must admit though, I was kind scared it would never go away. xD

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Way to go xox!

I maintain at 219 in the summer and 225-230 in the winter. So far after having Kailyn I have stayed at 210 so I have no complaints. The lowest I was ever able to get to was 189, and I had to all but starve to get there. I am very active but I just seem to stay stuck at the weight I am. The good news is I can eat what I want when I want and I don't go any higher either. I just try to be conscious of what I am eating and not worry about it. I am comfortable so I guess that makes a difference.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Definately M2M!!! Confidence is a big thing. For me, after the hyst. I was severly depressed, worried my husband was gonna leave me for a woman who can give him more babies, and blah blah blah. So I ate and did nothing basically, and that is where all the weight came from, cuz all I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and die.

Jeremy-Right now I am just focusing on diet, trying to get on the right track with that. I'm going to invest in a wii fit with wii yoga so I can do my work outs at home, cuz I dont have time to go to the gym cuz hayleigh is so clingy right now o_O I may take up aqua aerobics tho, those sound fun!!!!!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
xox, that sounds like a good plan. My sister struggles with her weight and so does her husband. They tend to do really unrealistic things to try and get their weight down. Recently they bought P90X. They did it for a week or two, and I'm guessing it is collecting dust somewhere now. I think the most important thing to do when you are trying to lose weight is to set small goals, one at a time, and let them all add up to something in the long haul. That way you can feel proud of yourself instead of mad at yourself for not following through. Diet is an excellent way to start! Set small goals, work at them until they become habit, then set another small goal. Before you know it, you will have improved your diet and it didn't even hurt too much!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Good job. I know that's tough to do.

When I was a kid I was skinny as a rail. Then after my accident I gained a bunch of weight and have struggled with it since.

Things I have learned over the years. Make shorter reasonable goals. Like how much to lose this month. I had a goal to get my HS weight and it was to much. 185 is just to skinny for me. I looked sad and felt weak. Change up the diet when it stalls out. Nothing will derail a diet faster than having a slow month. Buy new clothes when you need to and get rid of the fat clothes when you can.

I could stand to lose about 30 to 40 lbs right now. I am 6.1 and between 235 to 248 depending on when I weigh myself.

I feel just about right around 200 lbs.

Really this is the toughest time of year to try and lose weight. Your body is trying to build fat for the winter and everyone has high calorie stuff sitting around. If your losing weight like that right now it will really kick into high gear in the spring.

The Wii is neat but I wouldnt suggest you bank on that. Really IMHO a lot can be said for just not always taking the easy way. Park far out in the lot when going to the store, carry when you can and leave the cart behind. You can get a lot of exercise just by making regular activities a little harder.

I'm not going to wish you luck because luck has nothing to do with it. I will congratulate you and tell you keep up the good work.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Great Job Michele!

You know, you didn't put it all on in one day or even one week, so don't get discouraged when you have weeks that you go up a pound or two or stay static. Itt's how you do over the long haul that's important.

I was going through a similar effort this past summer after my dad died, I was really trying to avoid diabetes and all the other weight related stuff. I was doing well when i could go walk and run in the morning, then when the daylight went away I was sunk and I've let pretty much all of my success slip away, so you're inspiring me to get going again. I just need to make better use of indoor stuff (we have a treadmill and a wii fit) I just have to get up and do it, even if it isn't up to the level it should be, that and I need to get back to eating my fruits and veggies, when I fill up on those it's easier to not binge on junk and I find that it's a spirla up (just like snakcing and being lazy is a spiral down) when I eat better, I feel better and I feel like exercising, and when I exercise, I feel like eating better.)

I like the yoga stuff on wii fit, it really makes you aware of your muscles and how you use them. I don't think the cardio and strength parts are as good, but doing them is better than sitting around eating ;-)

Be aware also that hayeigh is going to want to use the wii fit too, so you may have to come up with ways to do it when she's asleep or napping etc, to get good quality time in.

You've inspired me to get going again. I have no idea how much I've put back on since falling off the wagon, but since you were brave, I'll post mine too. I'm sure they're back to where they were when I started or higher (I know how my clothes feel.)

So, that's a great start I hope you're really proud of your results

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks everyone :). Im trying my damndest :) we had a FOURTH christmas dinner last night haha. I took a small portion of dinner, and skipped dessert! Felt good.

bssage- we usually park far away anyways when we go shopping cuz I dont want anyone denting my car! haha. We try and go out and walk the dog as much as possible, take hayleigh to the park that kinda thing. lately its been pretty snowy and gross outside, but we try.

IAdad- I'm so happy I inspired you! :) It's a tough thing to get back on the bandwagon when you fall off, ive done it many a time. We can be PF weight loss buddies! lol.

My mom sent home a huge container or homemade cookies, but I have only had 1, cant say that for pete tho! haha. I'll keep ya'll updated! :D

xox

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh my gosh, I never want to see another cookie again. o__O

I had like three different batches of cookies given to me for Christmas, and at first it was like MMMM COOKIES but now its like omg we still have cookies please make them go away. lol

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Do you want my address??? I could use some cookies!!! I don't know what it is, but I have a raging sweet tooth right now. I was like this after my first son was born too. I think I could eat peanut butter cookies exclusively :) That would make for some sweet breast milk!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
Do you want my address??? I could use some cookies!!! I don't know what it is, but I have a raging sweet tooth right now. I was like this after my first son was born too. I think I could eat peanut butter cookies exclusively :) That would make for some sweet breast milk!
mmmm Cookies and milk, just like mom used to make (sorry, couldn't resist)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Julie - SURE! lol anything to get them away from me. :p

Speaking of weight loss, my dad (well, step dad but the only dad I've ever known) is getting the gastric bypass surgery in January. He has always been a real big guy and it is causing him health problems along with the normal discomfort and low self esteem related to being big. He's I think around 400lbs. I'm worried about him! Its such a serious surgery. He's kinda scared. But I know he will feel so much better once he's lost the weight. I'm happy for him.