Weight Loss.......

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
thats good! hopefully he'll reap the benefits of losing a large amount of weight :)

JULIE! you can have allllllllll my cookies! I dont want em! haha. they are just staring at me...."eat meeeeee...eat meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" lol. I gotta save up my caloric intake for new years :p lmfao

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Julie - SURE! lol anything to get them away from me. :p

Speaking of weight loss, my dad (well, step dad but the only dad I've ever known) is getting the gastric bypass surgery in January. He has always been a real big guy and it is causing him health problems along with the normal discomfort and low self esteem related to being big. He's I think around 400lbs. I'm worried about him! Its such a serious surgery. He's kinda scared. But I know he will feel so much better once he's lost the weight. I'm happy for him.
My sister was carrying around 400 lbs on her 5'5' frame, has diabetes and wears a pacemaker for congestive heart failure. She had gastric bypass, dropped about 100 lbs pretty quickly then has put about 50 back on and is maintaining that 350 or so now. I've seen similar results in a relative of DWs. If he doesn't take the opprotunity to learn how to eat smaller and eat better and start getting exercise, it won't work. Not trying to be a "debbie downer" here, but the surgery really is about giving a person a chance to change their lifestyle. If they don't they'll slowly start over-eating and stretch it out again. So, hopefully he has a good program for after surgery and lots of support.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Okay, so i finally braved stepping on the scale this morning. I'm at 246. So, my plan is to get through the new year holdiay, not eating too awful much, start in on some exercise again and then starting Monday back on better diet and try for some daily exercise, even though I'm going to be horribly busy at work. My BMI right now is 32.5, so 220 would put me at 29 (and hence under the "obese" label. I guess that'smy first big goal. I'll have lots of little ones before then.

My eventual goal is 190 (I'm 6'1") but I'll be quite happy to get to 210, that would make a huge difference in my life.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
My wife is reading this because she is incredibly nosey and unable to remove herself from the sofa, that said, she would like to say that pilates machines are really good and you can get one from QVC that isn't expensive.

I weighed myself today I was 12 stone 5 which is 171 lbs, I'm 6'2", so that makes my BMI 23 if you round it up (it was 22.8).

Lets see what my wife's BMI is, she is exactly ten stone which is 140 lbs and 5'10" her BMI is 20.1.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
My wife is reading this because she is incredibly nosey and unable to remove herself from the sofa, that said, she would like to say that pilates machines are really good and you can get one from QVC that isn't expensive.

I weighed myself today I was 12 stone 5 which is 171 lbs, I'm 6'2", so that makes my BMI 23 if you round it up (it was 22.8).

Lets see what my wife's BMI is, she is exactly ten stone which is 140 lbs and 5'10" her BMI is 20.1.
Congrats Jeremy and wife - that's really great that you can keep yourselves that slim. I think you'll see the benefits all through life. There are so many reasons to get trimmer that it's really ridiculous not to, but I guess we human animals make really bad choices sometimes.

And you know Jeremy, I was about your build when I met my wife (about 25 years ago, and frankly I don't want to be that "skinny" again. Call it a personal choice but I think 190 on my frame would feel superb. That's the absolute smallest I'd want to be.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
190 would put you with a BMI of like 25.2 I think, do you guys use a body fat index as well? Doctors tend to use that more here as someone who is muscly could be considered obese, yet someone who doesn't do a lot could have very little muscle but high body fat % and pass as a healthy weight with BMI.

The heaviest I have ever been is about 14 stone, but that was when I was still playing rugby properly so I was either training everyday or at the gym.

We aren't exactly as fit as we used to be, but we have never eaten rubbish, like horrible stuff in jars you get to put in pasta and things like that.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ha, I'm off to use some horrible stuff in jars to make a lasange...sorry, not enough time to make my own sauce.

I think BMI is most commonaly used, but you're right there's a difference between a lot of fat weight and a lot of muscle weight. 25 is the high side of the "Normal" category, so If I hit that and am reasonably fit, I'll be ecstatic!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad - Oh I have heard of people going through the same kind of thing with that surgery as well, and its sad that they went through all of that just to relapse afterwards. :(

Hopefully my dad can be strong and stick with the habbits and take this new change really seriously, and I think he can. :) I actually know three different people that went from being pretty much huge to being regular sized/kinda skinny after having this surgery. So I do know that it can work amazingly if you do it right.

The problem is that people can't just assume that its a cure all and that they don't have to do anything to support it, or work to keep it going, you know?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol I don't think you're big enough for the gastric bypass!!!! hahaha

I don't know how the lap band works, but I bet you don't need that either. :p

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
xox.ilu.xox said:
Jeremy i have always wondered how the "Stone" system worked for weight! I have never understood it haha.
It from the same people that give us crap for not being on the metric system!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
xox.ilu.xox said:
Jeremy i have always wondered how the "Stone" system worked for weight! I have never understood it haha.

Maybe I should get gastric bypass or lapband or something......lol
There are 14 lbs in a stone

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
ahhhhh! now it makes sense :D thanks! haha.

I guess I'm not big enough for gastric bypass but I can wish right :p

PS. my parents came over unannounced today and caught me smoking....:S I know they dont like it so thats why i didnt tell them (even though my dad is a smoker) Im gonna try and quit as a new years resolution....ack

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm only a little taller then you and about the size you were at your heaviest :( Granted I just had a baby but I'm starting to stress about losing this again. what are some of your favorite healthy dinners to make? I try to cook but after work and taking care of my son sometimes it's just so much easier to throw in a pizza

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
macoops said:
I'm only a little taller then you and about the size you were at your heaviest :( Granted I just had a baby but I'm starting to stress about losing this again. what are some of your favorite healthy dinners to make? I try to cook but after work and taking care of my son sometimes it's just so much easier to throw in a pizza
the thing I learned about eating over the course of several diets, is if you have to have pizza, it's not so bad, but you need to stop at one slice, or two slices not 3 or 4. Think about it 3 slices is 50% more food, more calories, more fat, than 2 slices. then suppliment your meal with a fresh vegi or a salad or piece of fruit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a dinner of one slice of pizza, a salad a piece of fruit and nice cold water. Compare that with 3 slices of pizza, some pop and a dessert and it's an entirey different meal. The big thing I'm trying to focus on is not snacking. When I feel a little hungry, I try water, I may not actually be hungry, just thirsty, and part of my snacking is just out of habit/convenience, not reallly hunger.

Michelle, how's it going?

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
its ok, ive been in a rut, stuck at the same weight, but im really trying. im walking with hayleigh to her playgroup three days a week, i think there and back its about 4 miles or so, so its a good hike :) hopefully ill drop a few pounds again soon haha.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Keep up the work and the attitude - staying even is better than gaining. You didn't put on the weight overnight, it's not going to disappear that way.

I somehow have gaiined a pound. I thought I was eating a little better, obviously not enough, and I know I haven't started any exercise yet - so, I'm not discouraged, I'm just going to start to focus more and try harder.