What age do you stop spanking?...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
mom2many said:
I agree, in just that context. The thing is that the word "whopping" and "whipping" are very cultural and just refer to a spanking. I wished people would stop using it.
It's funny because I hate the work 'Spanking' it kind of makes light of the word 'hitting'. If a parent were to say 'I hit my child when he doesn't do as I say after 3 times' I think most people would at least raise an eyebrow.

But when they say 'I spank my child when he ignores me after 3 times' it's like OH, OK it's JUST a spanking. Really what's the difference?

Hitting, spanking, whopping, whipping. It's really all the same.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
TabascoNatalie said:
Russians and Italians have this hot-headed national temperament, and are also very emotional. So yelling/hitting/fighting is more common than with "northern" people.
ARE YOU SERIOUS Tabasco?

lifesfinest11

Aug 9, 2011
I don't personally believe in whippings. But I don't really get what the difference between whippings whoopings or spankings. Like they all mean the same thing. I do tend to think of pertussis when I say whooping. Sorry I'd try to use the word "spanking".

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
I would say weather or not you believe in spanking. the logic is as follows.

You spank to cause pain, to shock your child and to bully them into obeying you. ( i have done it my kid was playing a power outlet OVER AND OVER and i spanked him. he stopped but i cried for days)

the other thing about "spanking" is that you dont leave marks. IMO , thats the difference between a beating and a spanking.

so just ask yourself if your a spanking parent...

does the spanking still cause the desired punishment AND not leave marks.

I would think that you could not spank a 17 year old hard enough to hurt them without bruising them.

remember don't spare the rod, but you dont have to hit them with an actual rod. take their car away , ground them.

lodestone123

PF Regular
Aug 16, 2011
Australia
Very hard not to say something about how silly spanking is as a form of discipline but...If you were to give the odd "tap" - it would have to stop at the age where the child has some higher reasoning skills - 7, 8?
I can't even imaging spanking my 17 yo daughter - if I yelled at her or swore at her she would be offended. :frown:

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
hitting stops when they start to use social service people against you. That is it. Once the cops come in, they are adults and if they get kidnapped, let them get kidnapped.

Also when they get a job, and stop taking your allowance, hitting stops.
Now you have two slave drivers.

Also hitting stops once, they start dating. Then they just past that down and it becomes domestic violence.

Once they are mobile ( indepent, knows how to cross the street ) they can run away, or come up to you with a weapon ( if they understand that ).

Carmenellie

PF Regular
Aug 29, 2011
I never really got this whole deal around spanking. I was spanked, on occasion, as a child, when I was being especially bad (screaming tantrums refusing to clean my room.) Though its only happened a few times in my whole life- after a couple rounds with a wooden spoon all it took was my mom pulling it out of the kitchen and all of the sudden I was very motivated to stop crying and go make myself useful.

I wouldn't say that it left me with anything long term other than the ability to buck up and get stuff done- and a healthy respect for wooden spoons.

DavidHood

Sep 5, 2011
Studies have shown conclusively that spanking only does harm in the long-run. Time out is more effective and more...humane.

What are we teaching our children when we spank them -- might makes right?

Yes, it will probably shut your child up immediately, but so will many other unspeakable things.