What do you do when you just don't agree...

Pinkbook

Oct 12, 2008
PhilBilly said:
My wife and I have too different parenting styles. We just can't get on the same page. She is way too lenient and I am probably too strict. We talk about it and agree to meet in the middle but when it's game time all of that goes out the window.

We both do what we do because we care about our children and want whats best for them but we just can't get through this wall that divides us. People always say that you have to be on the same page. I agree but that's easier said than done.
Here's and idea. Go to parenting forums like this and read the problems that other people have confronted and discuss it. Try to reach an agreement and a middle ground. Try doing it with different topics and problems. Try to reach a middle ground of what you two would have done if the problem was with one of your children. Another thing to try is to pick a topic and write down what you would do. Then compare notes and reach an agreement. Also watch shows like The Nanny and alike, this may be stupid but watching other people's action may change your mind and be more understanding of the other person's point of view.

Personally I don't think that you have to change the other one. I think the key is to respect the other person's opinion and reach a middle ground for the sake of the children. My husband is more lenient than I am. I'm strict and demanding but we keep ourselves check this way. If we both had the same style it would probably disastrous. Whenever there is a situation where me or him are about to brake the middle ground we send the kids their room cool off and then go back to the problem. Sometimes, even in the heat of the moment, you need to step back and cool off. I know it's hard, but with practice you can get to that point.

I know I'm going to get trash for saying this but I don't have faith in therapy or marriage counselors. Every person I know that have gone thru it, comes out worst than they came in. It has really made a dent on my confidence for it, which is funny because that's what I wanted to study.