what do you teach your kids to call their private parts?...

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I tell Alenya "little girl parts" or "private parts" I don't want to get technical and tell her "vagina" yet. I figure that's good enough for right now. I think that still explains what everything is.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
My 3-year-old calls it his penis. His testicles are called by name too. I've never used any other word with him. I know others who find it offensive or "dirty," but to me, the use of a euphamism sends the message that those parts are dirty or somehow shameful..

That said, I don't think words like peepee are a big deal if you are uncomfortable with the technical terms. It's just important that an outsider be able to recognize what is being referred to.

if I had a girl, I think Vagina would be the word I would use, regardless of the technicalities involved.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
"Private Parts" is a good one too I think, it covers it all, boy or girl, and I'm sure would stand up in court should the need ever arise (as per earlier post).

I don't find it offensive, or dirty either.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't see anything wrong with penis and vagina... I'm not sure how long before I would feel the need to tell Eli about his testicles and to be honest I don't find any reason for a little kid to know anything about her clitoris. :p But that's just me. Anyway, your kids are older. So I guess I don't know when you taught them that. I don't think that's BAD, but I sort of think it's overkill anyway. lol.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Penis and vulva. Although my three year old uses the term boobies instead of breasts, but I think that is alright!

When they get older we will go into vagina and labia and foreskin and all that good stuff, just like getting specific with fingernail and eyelash and taste bud. What is wrong with the proper terminology?

Actually, I read a news article last year about a mother driving past a theater with her 9 yr old daughter. "The Vagina Monologues" was on the marquee, and the daughter had never seen the word before. So she asked, 'Mom, what is a vagina?' Mom proceeded to flip out, tell her never to use that word, and immediately turned the vehicle around to berate the manager of the theater for exposing 'that language' to her little girl. The marquee was changed to read "The Hooha Monologues" for the remainder of the engagement. Isn't that a defeat of the whole production?!?!

sadinplaid

PF Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007
Georgia
Music-dad said:
I use the term boobies and I'm 41 :)

kidding....sortof
LMAO! My husband and I thought it was because we're part of the Beavis and Butthead generation that the word boobies reverts us both to a couple of giggling 3rd graders :)

Does anyone watch Scrubs? I love how Elliot uses the word "pachanga" because she isn't comfortable with the word vagina.

When we were kids we called everything down there our butt. However, I'm going to teach my daughter the difference between her butt and her vagina, so she isn't traumatized when her "butt" starts bleeding at age twelve or so...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
ivybendorf said:
Actually, I read a news article last year about a mother driving past a theater with her 9 yr old daughter. "The Vagina Monologues" was on the marquee, and the daughter had never seen the word before. So she asked, 'Mom, what is a vagina?' Mom proceeded to flip out, tell her never to use that word, and immediately turned the vehicle around to berate the manager of the theater for exposing 'that language' to her little girl. The marquee was changed to read "The Hooha Monologues" for the remainder of the engagement. Isn't that a defeat of the whole production?!?!
:eek: It continues to baffle me how some people think the proper terms are offensive. Wow.... It's sad that a 9 yr. old girl has no idea what a vagina is. Well actually, this particular girl has gotten the message that whatever it is, it's very BAD. :(

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
that makes no sense. its a medical word!!

I also call them boobies.
Ok so I have a kinda funny story about my sister friend. Her little boy was like 2 1/2 maybe 3 and they went to Ace Hardware. He was sititng in the cart, one of those smaller ones they have) and he was being all good and just chillin in his seat. THey were there for like 20 minutes. He starts fidgeting between his legs. Keep in mind he is wearing a snowsuit!!! So she asks if he is alright, he says yes. THen they are standing in the line to check out and he is really aquirming. All of a sudden he screams out in the top of his little lungs and very clearly at that "MY PENIS IS SQUISHED!!!!" lol she was a bit emberrased, but everyone around him was cracking up

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Kaytee- that is hysterical! Poor kid's gonna hear that story over and over for the rest of his life. lol

Ivy - that is truly, truly sad. I can't beleive the theater manager agreed to change it. what's this mom going to do when her little girl has a sex ed class in a year or 2? Not allow her to attend?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
budnkota - Believe it or not, my mom actually wouldn't let any of her kids but me go to the sex ed class they gave them in - what is it? 6th or 7th or 8th grade? LOL I don't remember. But I always thought she was rediculous for doing that. I can't remember why I went. I was the oldest, and also the most mature, so maybe she didn't care. Actually I might have already somehow known everything they could tell me lol. A lot of my siblings were immature but there's no reason for that still. It's stupid.

She doesn't care about the word penis or vagina though, that mother with the theater was just being an idiot. Gosh that's annoying.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
ivybendorf said:
Seems that is just the beginning of teaching that poor child that her body is "bad." Ugh!

On a side note... Hooha Monologues.... funny

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
baileyjohanna said:
Hi everyone,

I'm writing an article about what parents teach their kids to call their private parts. I'd really appreciate it if you all could let me know what you decided to teach your kids (as well as why). Thanks so much!

Johanna
penis.

vagina.

that's what their names are.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Xero said:
budnkota - Believe it or not, my mom actually wouldn't let any of her kids but me go to the sex ed class they gave them in - what is it? 6th or 7th or 8th grade? LOL I don't remember. But I always thought she was rediculous for doing that. I can't remember why I went. I was the oldest, and also the most mature, so maybe she didn't care. Actually I might have already somehow known everything they could tell me lol. A lot of my siblings were immature but there's no reason for that still. It's stupid.
In high school one of my friends wasnt allowed to attend sex ed calsses, her parents were scarily over-protective though. She had to go to the library and do 'individual study' during the classes. Didnt exactly achieve much, as soon as the class ended we told her all about everything she missed.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
AmyBelle said:
In high school one of my friends wasnt allowed to attend sex ed calsses, her parents were scarily over-protective though. She had to go to the library and do 'individual study' during the classes. Didnt exactly achieve much, as soon as the class ended we told her all about everything she missed.
When my Mom signed my permission slip, I was so exited about Sex Ed Class, When I finally found out it was all processes, and scientific names and other science crapola, I realized it was just another class.

When my DD brings home the permission slip one day, I will gladly sign it!

I remember being so let down that the only boobies I got to see, were cartoons:mad: .

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I don't remember much of my sex ed class if you can call it that. I was in the 4th grade and they split us up into boys and girls classes. We learned all about PMS and such. I don't know what the boys talked about.

I was so happy when I got home and showed my mom the HUGE pad they gave us. I remember when I whipped that puppy out of my backpack like a floppy sword her face turned so red. :p

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
AmyBelle said:

Which could be worse than seeing the movie in the first place. LOL!