What does everyone think about Baby Borrowers?...

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Teresa said:
They're doing that as well. They get three days each with babies, toddlers, preteens (complete with pets), teens and senior citizens.
It's been a while since I took sex ed so you're going to have to explain to me where 'senior citizens' would come into play. :confused:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
It's been a while since I took sex ed so you're going to have to explain to me where 'senior citizens' would come into play. :confused:
Excerpts from
Baby Borrowers TV Show | Teen Parenting, Relationships, Volunteer Couples, Social Experiment | NBC.com

"NBC's upcoming reality series "The Baby Borrowers" is an intriguing new social experiment based on the hit British program that asks five diverse teenage couples -- ages 18-20 -- to fast-track to adulthood by setting up a home, getting a job and becoming caring parents first to babies, toddlers, pre-teens and their pets, teenagers and senior citizens."

"After three surprising, intense days, each teen couple will bid bye-bye to the baby and receive a toddler as their fast-forward adult life progresses. They will have to cope with typical "terrible twos" behavior, including pouty tantrums, potty training and other messes. Three days later, the weary couples must face the reality of parenting several sassy pre-teens/"tweeners" at once -- each with a family pet in tow, adding to their responsibilities.
Seventy-two hours later, the teenagers arrive, thereby perhaps providing them with a mirror image of their own recent relationships with their parents. To complete the cycle of life, the experiment ends with as couples are graced with the opportunity to care for a senior citizen, including some with health issues, who represent what might be in store for them in the distant future."

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
So it's not just about parenting, it's a 2 week course in "Your adult life is going to suck. Your kids will hate you and your parents will die."?

I'm going to start drinking and sleeping around just from the previews. :(

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
They will have to cope with typical "terrible twos" behavior[/quote]

Too bad they are skipping the f******g fours. That should convince anybody. :p

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I loved the age of four. They were so precious and learning the world around them. They need to give them 7 yr olds that don't shut up. Better yet.......let these kids have mulitiples. They act like they are all going to have one baby. Life throws curve balls at you. lol

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
ljmahr said:
I know we did that stupid doll that cries and you put the key in it to stop it from crying in a class I took in high school. My kids are MUCH easier to deal with than that stupid thing was.
:) They did those dolls w/some of the kids at my facility, but they didn't have a key and it recorded their responses... how long they let it cry w/o attending to it, all that stuff. Pretty high tech toys. I guess one of the boys had one that cried all night long. Staff, the other boys, everybody was trying to help and it just wouldn't stop crying. It finally stopped around 5 am, but the director came to get the kid at 8 am for a trip w/the baby to walmart. Baby started up again in the store, and this poor, sleep deprived kid apparently held it up over his head and pled with it "Why, baby? WHY?"
LOL. Probably the most effective birth controller he's ever had...

He must have had it wrapped in a blanket or something, b/c I guess that the director kind of indicated to startled onlookers that it wasn't real

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
I think they should make those "doll" practice babies spit up about six ounces on your shoulder right after you change into work clothes -- and about one inch from where you put the burp rag.

I think the show sounds interesting, but I couldn't watch it if my baby were involved. It would be like "Fear Factor" for new parents.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
did anyone else watch this last night? Thoughts?

I personally found it pretty interesting although it was more like extreme babysitting then actual parenting

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
DD and I watched. I don't know how the actual parents held it together as well as they did in some cases. I would have had to go in there and snatch my child away from them, and tell them I wasn't going to let my child be neglected like that. If they can't even handle the infants, will be interesting to see how they do with the other age groups.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I personally always found my newborns to be the easiest. Some of the teens are doing really well while others are going very poor. I was relieved to see that there was a professional nanny shadowing the couples at all time for the safety of the babies

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
Wow, I just finished watching the show.

That one girl in the beginning TOTALLY pissed me off...."boohoo, I'm not wearing that fat suit, I look stupid. Waaawaaa my boyfriend went to the required class while I stayed home and locked myself in the bathroom."

I don't know that I would be able to leave my son (12 months) in a house with ANY of those people for more than an hour, let alone 3 days. Calling the baby "it"? Saying "fine, just starve" when the baby won't eat?!?

And did anyone else notice that most of the guys were more helpful/patient with the babies than the girls were??

/rant

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with those same things. There's no way I would have left my child with ANY of those couples, I don't think. I had a hard time leaving them with my mother when they were small, much less strangers. LOL

mandrsmom

PF Regular
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I totally agree with hawtmama, I thought the boys were trying harder. That crying, whining, :cry: girl who would not wear the suit, and yelled at her boyfriend, pissed me off too. I am surprised at how he took all of her yelling. he handled it will. I do not see them lasting long.

Overall, I thought the show was good, I would not leave my girls with any of them either, but it seems to be showing them how hard it is. Can't wait till they go to work, that black haired girl is going to be the one that can't take it. She got on my nerves too. The mom of the baby was just giving her advise, I am surprised it took the mom so long to go over there.

I also can't wait until they get the two year olds!!!:shocked:

1stmeridian

Nov 21, 2008
It is pathetic the extremes our media is going to these days in the name of entertainment. Too many distractions from life and the things that are important. We don't watch much TV but the reality shows that they come up with are just getting crazier and crazier. Most of it isn't worth wasting time on if you have little ones at home who need the attention.