What if your Child said "Im Gay"...

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Since this is such a hot topic right now I thought I would ask .. what you would do if your child came to you and told you they had homosexual feelings ... or flat out told you they were gay.... your reaction?

PLEASE NOTE .... this is NOT a thread to flame in.. this is for logical debate ... ( note .. logical)

To me .. they are still my child... I would discuss it with them and then leave it... if they need to talk to me I would always be open to it and hope we could maintain that level of communication.

Love Surpasses everything .. even in the bible .. love is the strongest

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Since being gay is not a bad or wrong thing to me, I would have no problem with it. I would simply say "Ok, I am happy to listen if you need to talk about it.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Since I don't feel that there is anything wrong with being gay, I would have no problem with it. I would simply say "OK. I love you very much and I am happy to listen if you need to talk"

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I would probably be a little upset at first, but I would reassure her that I love her no matter what and that I will support her. Either way around it, she's still my daughter and her sexual preference isn't going to change that!

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I would just reiterate how important safe sex is, whether it be with a man or a woman, tell him I love him, and for him to come to me if he needs to talk.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I will support them no matter what. I would however feel bad for them knowing how hard it is to lead an alternative lifestyle.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Doesn't change a thing for me. My stepson is gay, and my son is bisexual....and I love them both with all my heart.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well to be honest I would be sad. I would love my child the same, treat her no different, and make sure she knows I am supportive of her decision. BUt I also have to admit that I would be sad that she would not be having a wedding and having children.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I would be completely ok with one of my kids being gay. My nephew lived with us for two years (while he was going to school here) and he's gay and I really didn't see it as an issue. Where we live, homosexuality is fairly well accepted and it wouldn't change my feelings towards my child.

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
I'd suggest dropping whatever you're doing at the moment, looking at them straight in the face (without a pitying or angry expression), and possibly giving them a hug. Then ask if they've been okay at school (as in, have they been teased/made fun of?) and state that you support them. Make it quick at first, but if your kid shows signs of wanting to talk more, be there for them.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
well to be honest I would be sad. I would love my child the same, treat her no different, and make sure she knows I am supportive of her decision. BUt I also have to admit that I would be sad that she would not be having a wedding and having children.
Why can't he/she get married or have children? You can do both being gay.:confused:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
Why can't he/she get married or have children? You can do both being gay.:confused:
you are right that some of those things can be obtained, but not the traditional way. Absolutly nothing wrong with it, no guilt EVER would be put on my child. I grew up with a lesbian mother. I know how hard life is for someone that has opposing views as the majority. If my daughter was gay, she would not have a traditional wedding in a white gown (but who knows if she would even as a straight adult) she would not get pregnant the same way. Sure she could have children. She could adopt ( I would love them just the same) she could have in vetro, but she woul dnot meet a man, fall in love and have a child.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I think I would be sad and upset at first but it wouldn't change my love and support for them. A parent's love is unconditional and there is nothing that can change it.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I think most parents of gay children are not "surprised" by the news and have long suspected it. I tend to think their reaction to when a son\daughter "Comes out" is an expression of the parents' held back feelings on the issue. If they are OK with in general, it's no big deal. If they were secreting hoping their suspicions were wrong, then their is going to be some level of disappointment expressed at least initially.

What I personally think is unfortunate is that gays feel they need to hide their sexuality in the first place. I am related to individuals who remain in the closest for professional reasons. If they were to come out "officially", their careers would either come to end or stall.

Nobody should feel they have to hide who they are when who they are does not harm others (I do acknowledge that some people believe gays harm themselves and\or others by being gay.)

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Jtee you are right. My brother is gay and my somewhat macho father was always trying to push him into sports etc as a boy. He later admitted that on a subconscious level he suspected but felt like he should do all he could to encourage him to pursue a straight sort of lifestyle. If he had his time over he would possibly be more accepting.
I figure that as you cant change a persons sexuality, it is easier to just love them and hope they will be happy. the best way to do this is acceptance. It sounds twee but there you go!