What if your Child said "Im Gay"...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
PennQuaker09: WOW. First of all, let me start by saying that if you can't stand to hear anyone's opinion but your own or one that agrees with your own, then you SHOULDN'T BE POSTING IN A DEBATE FORUM!!!!!!

Why don't we just swear at people and point out the fact that we can spell better than them just because they didn't agree with us? I thought we were all adults here on this forum. I sure would hope so, considering it is called a parenting forum. However I am beginning to question this after viewing your incredibly childish behavior. What does it matter how you spell a word as long as everyone knows what you're talking about? So now in order to have your opinion taken seriously you have to have gotten straight A's in spelling all throughout grade school? I didn't realize when I joined this thing that one of the rules were that you had to be a perfect speller and immune to typos in order to post. My bad. I'm sorry, but get over yourself.

Before I defend Gothdad's post, I would like you all to know that I have NO problem with gay people, I have a lot of gay friends and even family, I love them all, I would even go to a gay bar if I got the chance cause I bet it would be oodles of fun. I actually love gay people, although I wouldn't do it myself and I don't like to think about the actual sex part between two men or two women. That would be awkward for me, but whatever for them. AND if my son told me he was gay, not only would I accept him and be proud of whatever he could be or wanted to be (assuming we really talked it over and I made sure he wasn't just confused or anything and he was SURE), but it wouldn't bother me THAT much! Gothdad also did not say that he would hate his son or shun him or make fun of him, he would just be disappointed and he wouldn't agree and wouldn't want to be part of it. I'm not saying that's right! But I KNOW a lot of people feel that way!!! It's a valid thought that a lot of people think about, like hwnorth said, I bet there's a lot of other people on this forum that claim to be perfectly understanding about everything but in REAL life there's a ton of homophobes and racists that are just regular people like the rest of us. As if anyone would admit that.

At least Gothdad has the balls to tell you what he REALLY thinks instead of tiptoeing around agreeing with you so as not to hurt your feelings or seem like a bad person with a real opinion. I didn't read all of this but I bet any money everyone else said gently that they would accept it, because who wants to admit that they wouldn't love every last thing their baby ever did??? And one person says what he thinks opposing everyone else and it's this huge deal and someone (penn) decides he doesn't like it SO MUCH that someone doesn't think HIS WAY that he's going to go all immature and get mad about it and swear and pick on Gothdad's WRITING style like that REALLY matters. GROW UP.

Sorry for gay people that straight poeple happen to think gayness is not the thing for them and would probably rather their kids not end up that way, but wouldn't hate them for it if they did. At least Gothdad was honest, that's all I've got to say. Maybe this topic was brought up so that everyone would agree with accepting it??? Ok. Right. That makes sense (in a debate forum). Hey I brought this topic up in a debate but don't you dare disagree with me. Lol.

And you know what, as far as beastiality and gay sex not being comparable goes, just chill out. Guess what. Beastiality and homosexuality are both incorrect forms of sex, at least traditionally. Just because in AMERICA gay sex is more widely accepted than animal sex doesn't make it anymore correct than any other incorrect form of sex. Neither one is any more liked or disliked in the bible. Sorry about your luck. I'm not saying I care or I think badly of either of those things or one more than the other I'm just saying that unfortunately they are somewhat comparable if you use your brain and think about it with an unbiased mind.

Aunt, I understand nobody liked what Gothdad said, but that's the extent of it. There was nothing about his post that appeared in a joking manner. He was sincerely trying to share how he felt, whether it was right or not. He didn't say he'd beat his kid or do anything terrible. He just didn't like it and didn't agree and found it dissapointing and an insult to him as a parent. He can't have a different opinion? I don't see how that seemed like a joke.

I don't care if people don't like what Gothdad has to say, but you can be an accepting adult about replying to it. Tell people what you think! Tell them you think they're wrong! Tell them what you think as opposed to what they said, go ahead and try to make them see it your way. But come on. Swearing and being mean and getting PERSONAL by picking on spelling just doesn't make sense and you know it, or you SHOULD.

Sorry about the strongness and possible rudeness of this post, but man did that hit me the wrong way.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Teresa said:
I would be one of those who believes that homosexual sex is a sin. But, you know what? I commit sins every day, intentionally or unintentionally, so I have no room to stop loving a child of mine just because they are HUMAN, just like me. Knowing that we're all sinners, and that all sins are equal in the eyes of God, why differentiate between the sins?
He said he wouldn't like it and he wouldn't agree with it and couldn't accept it and it offended him as a parent, NOT that he would EVER stop loving his son. He should have been more specific I suppose, but it's not okay to assume that I don't think. :(

People in this forum are acting like we should all just be like, when our kids tell us they're gay (just like if they told you they stole something or they're with a gang or doing something else you might not like much) that we should just be like "Oh! Great! I love that! When do we meet your boyfriend? :D " Just a thought.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I wasn't responding to Gothdad, nor will I...so perhaps before jumping on ME, YOU should know whereof you speak. Thanks so much!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Excuse me for assuming you were still on the same topic as the guy you were talking to, who happened to be talking about Gothdad's post. My bad. Obviously I don't think Gothdad's other username is hwnorth. However, I'm not perfect either. So calm down. I didn't even say anything offensive about or to you, I was just letting you know. I didn't jump on you. I apologize for not knowing ahead of time how sensitive you are.

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
I must warn you Cutie and I dont even see eye to eye sometimes. I am one of the most open minded ppl you will ever meet, but I WONT sit accross a diner table with my sons B/F.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
This thread has gotten awfully touchy.. Chill out guys!

Back on topic, nothing could ever make me love my son any less..but I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I'm not homophobic at all, but until you deal with it up close and personal I don't think you can really say what you would do. I'm sure my initial reaction would be shock..followed by an "Are you sure?" And then I hope I would support his decision.

Oops! Just looked back at the first page and realized I already posted to this thread a few days ago...oh well, lol.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
If somebody is going to be ridiculous enough to compare Homosexuality woth bestiality or pedophilia then they deserve for such assinine logic to be ridiculed. Either that or they are a troll having some fun. I have no problem with peoples relgious beliefs and will debate them in a civil fashion on their own merits. But if someone came along saying they were a member of the KKK and had been out burning crosses would this be Ok to go unchallenged? I maintain Goth dad is not serious.:rolleyes:

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Xero said:
PennQuaker09: WOW. First of all, let me start by saying that if you can't stand to hear anyone's opinion but your own or one that agrees with your own, then you SHOULDN'T BE POSTING IN A DEBATE FORUM!!!!!!

Why don't we just swear at people and point out the fact that we can spell better than them just because they didn't agree with us? I thought we were all adults here on this forum. I sure would hope so, considering it is called a parenting forum. However I am beginning to question this after viewing your incredibly childish behavior. What does it matter how you spell a word as long as everyone knows what you're talking about? So now in order to have your opinion taken seriously you have to have gotten straight A's in spelling all throughout grade school? I didn't realize when I joined this thing that one of the rules were that you had to be a perfect speller and immune to typos in order to post. My bad. I'm sorry, but get over yourself.

Before I defend Gothdad's post, I would like you all to know that I have NO problem with gay people, I have a lot of gay friends and even family, I love them all, I would even go to a gay bar if I got the chance cause I bet it would be oodles of fun. I actually love gay people, although I wouldn't do it myself and I don't like to think about the actual sex part between two men or two women. That would be awkward for me, but whatever for them. AND if my son told me he was gay, not only would I accept him and be proud of whatever he could be or wanted to be (assuming we really talked it over and I made sure he wasn't just confused or anything and he was SURE), but it wouldn't bother me THAT much! Gothdad also did not say that he would hate his son or shun him or make fun of him, he would just be disappointed and he wouldn't agree and wouldn't want to be part of it. I'm not saying that's right! But I KNOW a lot of people feel that way!!! It's a valid thought that a lot of people think about, like hwnorth said, I bet there's a lot of other people on this forum that claim to be perfectly understanding about everything but in REAL life there's a ton of homophobes and racists that are just regular people like the rest of us. As if anyone would admit that.

At least Gothdad has the balls to tell you what he REALLY thinks instead of tiptoeing around agreeing with you so as not to hurt your feelings or seem like a bad person with a real opinion. I didn't read all of this but I bet any money everyone else said gently that they would accept it, because who wants to admit that they wouldn't love every last thing their baby ever did??? And one person says what he thinks opposing everyone else and it's this huge deal and someone (penn) decides he doesn't like it SO MUCH that someone doesn't think HIS WAY that he's going to go all immature and get mad about it and swear and pick on Gothdad's WRITING style like that REALLY matters. GROW UP.

Sorry for gay people that straight poeple happen to think gayness is not the thing for them and would probably rather their kids not end up that way, but wouldn't hate them for it if they did. At least Gothdad was honest, that's all I've got to say. Maybe this topic was brought up so that everyone would agree with accepting it??? Ok. Right. That makes sense (in a debate forum). Hey I brought this topic up in a debate but don't you dare disagree with me. Lol.

And you know what, as far as beastiality and gay sex not being comparable goes, just chill out. Guess what. Beastiality and homosexuality are both incorrect forms of sex, at least traditionally. Just because in AMERICA gay sex is more widely accepted than animal sex doesn't make it anymore correct than any other incorrect form of sex. Neither one is any more liked or disliked in the bible. Sorry about your luck. I'm not saying I care or I think badly of either of those things or one more than the other I'm just saying that unfortunately they are somewhat comparable if you use your brain and think about it with an unbiased mind.

Aunt, I understand nobody liked what Gothdad said, but that's the extent of it. There was nothing about his post that appeared in a joking manner. He was sincerely trying to share how he felt, whether it was right or not. He didn't say he'd beat his kid or do anything terrible. He just didn't like it and didn't agree and found it dissapointing and an insult to him as a parent. He can't have a different opinion? I don't see how that seemed like a joke.

I don't care if people don't like what Gothdad has to say, but you can be an accepting adult about replying to it. Tell people what you think! Tell them you think they're wrong! Tell them what you think as opposed to what they said, go ahead and try to make them see it your way. But come on. Swearing and being mean and getting PERSONAL by picking on spelling just doesn't make sense and you know it, or you SHOULD.

Sorry about the strongness and possible rudeness of this post, but man did that hit me the wrong way.

Okay . . . .

The number one thing that I am going to say is, I would highly prefer it if you didn't come at me like nor call me a child. You don't have the right to tell me to grow up. That post was not being mean, but I can be. Take note.

Secondly, if someone is going to spew bullshit about (zoophilia.) [/COLOR]and drugs and compare it to being gay, then I really think they should be able to freaking (and that is not my word of choice, but think hard) spell it right. I admire his balls to say what he really thinks, but if one is going to say those kind of things, they should do so with perfect grammar. He didn't hurt my feelings by anything he said, but his opinions were in regards to <I>gay sex</I>, not being gay. The essence of my being gay has nothing do with the fact that I have sex with man, but the fact that I fell in love with a man and we're creating a life together.

You said, "Guess what. Beastiality and homosexuality are both incorrect forms of sex, at least traditionally. Just because in AMERICA gay sex is more widely accepted than animal sex doesn't make it anymore correct than any other incorrect form of sex."

So, right there, you're describing homosexuality as a form of sex. I don't know if you don't understand what being gay is or if that is what you really think. For Nate and I, that is not what being gay is about. I would imagine other gay people feel the same. I'm not many things, but one thing that I am is highly intelligent. Nowhere in my mind is having sex with an animal comparable to having sex with a man or a woman. I don't care how unbiased one's mind is, but in an intelligent mind, that's ludicrous.

Third, there are people here that disagree with my being gay and they have told me why. Most disagree because of religious reasons, and I fully understand that. As a somewhat religious person, I respect that they don't understand and accept homosexuality. However, I can't think of anyone that has said anything remotely like what gothdad said. I'm a blunt person, but there are even things that I don't say.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Personally, I would be really disappointed in myself for not guessing it first. I would like to think that I will continue to have a close enough relationship with Bek (aswell as have a close relationship with our expecting child) to realise it before being told.

Xero said:
People in this forum are acting like we should all just be like, when our kids tell us they're gay (just like if they told you they stole something or they're with a gang or doing something else you might not like much) that we should just be like "Oh! Great! I love that! When do we meet your boyfriend? :D " Just a thought.
To many there is no comparison there. If Bek came to me and said "Hey, im in a gang" then I would be freaking out, id fear for her safety and wonder where I went wrong, however, homosexuality is in no way wrong in my mind, and in the minds of many others, therefore my reaction would be alot more positive.

I can see where there would be a conflict of moral beliefs for those who believe it to be wrong, however for alot of people its a non-issue who their child loves, as long as theyre happy.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
This whole "gay" subject is so hypocritical. The anti-gays have never had their butts touched? Might want to try it! Good gawd some of you act like such prudes. If you want to get into the "sexual acts" that's one thing. Unless you are ONLY doing it missionary style all the time you have no room to talk.
Haven't you ever loved your best friend? You don't have to have sex with them but if you love them with all your heart then would you be gay? Why is it so wrong if two people love each other? It's none of anyones business what they do in their room.
I really feel sorry for the parent who would NOT sit across from their childs friend for life, their best friend, their lover. I just think that's so sad.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, I'm really done here with this topic. Everyone should know I already said I disagree with Gothdad. Compeletely. I would never feel the way he would. And he'd probably doesn't know how he would REALLY feel if it REALLY happened to him. I didn't say two men or women couldn't love eachother... I think love is beatiful no matter what gender you are or what kind of couple you are. I wasn't going on an on about how I think Gothdad is right and gay love or even gay sex is wrong. I think it's fine!! I already told everyone that I have gay friends and family members and I love them to peices and appreciate their relationships with their significant others! And fine think whatever you want as far as his or my bad comparisons go. I apologize. I just found it stupid to freak out like that and get personal when you could have easily told him how much you thought it was wrong in a much better manner. It's just so uneccesary to worry about someone's spelling or grammar unless you can't come up with something better to say that actually makes sense. I also don't think it's neccesary to swear in order to get a point across, especially if you think so strongly that you are "intelligent". I'm sorry this got so bitter because I don't want any enemies, but in all honesty I do feel like most of you are being a little thick. But maybe it just seems that way to me.

Please don't think or insinuate that I find gayness nothing but sex (if that were the case, then I'd wonder about my sexuality, like musicmom said). I don't really know or care what Gothdad thinks it is. I just thought the way it was handled was immature. And if you're going to act like a child, you might want to expect to be treated as one.

AmyBelle - When you're religious or you don't believe in that sort of thing, then it's not always just a matter of "who your child loves". It's something different for those people who same sex love matters to maybe in a negative way or something, before their child ever said they WERE gay. You know? That's all I'm saying there. Sorry if you think my comparison sucked. I just meant some parents maybe don't want to hear it. And everyone knows that happens. I'm sorry for those children, and their parents. Really I am, because it's not fair.

Whatever about the bestiality thing. Sorry to all high heavens that I spelled it wrong!!! God forgive me. Lol. But no really, I'm just letting that go because I don't care that much about who's right there and I think you (Penn) have a good point or two. I didn't say it, I was just trying to imagine what Gothdad probably meant.

I know I'm dragging on, but I know that homosexuality is not just a form of sex. Just because I was trying to explain the bestiality thing (which IS a form of sex pretty much, although a nasty one), doesn't mean that's all I thought there was to homosexuality. Just...sex? When I was around 16 or 17 the only person in the world I had that understood me or that was there for me was my best (female) friend. I couldn't even describe to you how close our relationship was. I would tell anyone that I loved (and still love) her. Not like any other friend. I even kind of thought that I was IN love with her once. And if I told anyone that, they would probably say "Ohh!! You were bisexual/lesbian!!" I know, it's happened. But the thing is I would NEVER have EVER thought about sex when it came to her. When I said I was in love, that wasn't what it was about. I didn't think about her with her clothes off or if we'd ever be in bed together. Or anything like that. But I know I loved her more than anything in the world. Hope no one things strangely of me for telling this story... I just wanted you to understand. I'm not like that.

I don't think Gothdad's opinions are just about gay sex, but whatever. I don't care that much. I don't want hard feelings, but I don't think Penn or any of you are entirely correct. But then neither am I. I think it's getting too confusing so I wont go on. Sorry about all the crap.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Gothdad said:
If I saw my son with another boy I couldnt deal with it. The end. We all know that homosexuality Is politicy and religously In correct. Im not much for politics or religon, but does that make drugs ok? or beastiality? Or what about sex with minors? They love eachother right? Oh and how about suicide!? Theres a woman out there for every man.
Gothdad, I am a bit curious... What would your reaction be if your son came to you and told you that he like to smoke pot?

<I>from your profile:</I>
Interests:
Music, Playing music, School, and sometimes video games. OH! and Herb!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
While I do not see homosexuality being the same as beastiality, I do however believe that allowing homosexuals to legally marry opens many doors to some very dangerous things including the same rights for beastiality, polygamy, pedophilia and incestual relationships further down the road. This logic that many can't fathom DOES NOT make me homophobic. So please don't go there.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
While I do not see homosexuality being the same as beastiality, I do however believe that allowing homosexuals to legally marry opens many doors to some very dangerous things including the same rights for beastiality, polygamy, pedophilia and incestual relationships further down the road. This logic that many can't fathom DOES NOT make me homophobic. So please don't go there.
being gay doesn't hurt anyone. Beastiality hurts the animal, polygamy hurts children and can turn into incestual. Pedophilia hurts children. Totally NOT the same as being gay.:goofy:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
gotta agree with mm here. Not sure about polygammy though, I think some poligamy families are fine but I don't know a lot about it personally

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HappyMomma said:
Gothdad, I am a bit curious... What would your reaction be if your son came to you and told you that he like to smoke pot?

Interests:
Well If you wanna dig and bring up my personal life I might as well defend myself. Lets see since I was 18 I worked a full time job in a furnature factory probably about at least 3x's the size of any Wal-mart supercenter you've ever seen. I was famous in the shop for what I did. I applied for a line leader position but they didnt want me off the line. From there I got a fork-lift positon In which I was responsible for quickly setting up lines while the laborers stayed on the lines inches from their ankles with a more than 2000 lb truck. 2 1/2 years I worked there dedicated to my job until they layed me off. from there in 2 months after I Got my GED because I new I was going to have a son. Now Im reaching the end of my 2nd term of college. and every day my Cutie and my boober are what gets me outa bed what drives me to school and what rilly motivates me. Think what you want of me I know what I am and I've never Insulted my father or whole family for that matter by bringing a boy home for a date. I do not have a problem with homosexuals at all. I just think its sad and insaulting to yourself and anyone that tryed so hard to raise you. If my son said "I like to smoke pot" and he was an adult I would say "well please dont smoke it in front of me." Just like if he told me "I want to date men" then I would say again "Well please don't do that in front of me." That's the extent of it. And excuse me for not realizing that my opinion didn't matter on this site and if I said something out of line that someone would make it a point to look things up that I was just saying playfully to begin with just to make me look bad.

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
HappyMomma said:

Interests:
Well If you wanna dig and bring up my personal life I might as well defend myself. Lets see since I was 18 I worked a full time job in a furnature factory probably about at least 3x's the size of any Wal-mart supercenter you've ever seen. I was famous in the shop for what I did. I applied for a line leader position but they didnt want me off the line. From there I got a fork-lift positon In which I was responsible for quickly setting up lines while the laborers stayed on the lines inches from their ankles with a more than 2000 lb truck. 2 1/2 years I worked there dedicated to my job until they layed me off. from there in 2 months after I Got my GED because I new I was going to have a son. Now Im reaching the end of my 2nd term of college. and every day my Cutie and my boober are what gets me outa bed what drives me to school and what rilly motivates me. Think what you want of me I know what I am and I've never Insulted my father or whole family for that matter by bringing a boy home for a date. I do not have a problem with homosexuals at all. I just think its sad and insaulting to yourself and anyone that tryed so hard to raise you. If my son said "I like to smoke pot" and he was an adult I would say "well please dont smoke it in front of me." Just like if he told me "I want to date men" then I would say again "Well please don't do that in front of me." That's the extent of it. And excuse me for not realizing that my opinion didn't matter on this site and if I said something out of line that someone would make it a point to look things up that I was just saying playfully to begin with just to make me look bad.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I really wasn't attacking you, I was genuinely curious.

I was reading through this thread and saw someone I hadn't seen on here before so I clicked on profile.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
I would agree with you in a general way Lissa if I thought homosexuality was a choice and/or homosexuality was harmful. Those other things you listed are choices people make. From my perspective, saying homosexuals should have less legal rights because they heterosexuals is like saying left handed people should have less legal rights than right handed people. The world is designed for right handed people, and left handed people need to deal with certain realities, but we shouldn't have laws that limit their abilities to be happy and have less legal protection. :)

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Wow guys......the past three pages have totally gone out the window. Yes its a debate section, but how about on touchy subjects we respect other people's feelings? Even if your temper is flaring, or the topic is just too touchy try to remember that there is someone else on the other end of your comment. There are a million different ways to apporach a situation or comment, lets just try to be adults.