What might you do?...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
meow_173 said:
You need to do what is best for you and your child. no amount of our opinons or views can change that. If you need to go....GO!
And leaving while your pregnant may be a lot easier legally than after the baby is born. Even with custody, many states require written notification to the other parent of a big move and court intervention if the other parent objects.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Ari2 said:
And leaving while your pregnant may be a lot easier legally than after the baby is born. Even with custody, many states require written notification to the other parent of a big move and court intervention if the other parent objects.
Correct. Decrees in Texas require written notice of any change in location or employment to three different parties and one party can request a "location restriction" in the decree as well.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
In South Dakota it was 30 days written notice to the non-custodial parent so they have time to challenge it.

Mine got lost in the mail. Honest.

heidi

Jun 10, 2008
Update: Last night he um.. overreacted.. in front of the whole neighborhood over something that could easily have been settled with words. You know, like adults do.

...It was so embarrassing...

A friend was picking me up for a women's support meeting and saw the scene. (The only reason I stayed in his scene was because he'd taken my phone and was trying to leave in the car.) Afterward, she encouraged me to call the police, but I... couldn't. I debated A LOT because it's beyond embarrassing and ridiculous at this point.. also I shouldn't have to be the one to leave during this last week - it should be him I reasoned.

I decided instead of having him arrested, I decided to call him and tell him to take his clothes and leave.. that I don't want to see him again. I also revealed that I am moving soon. After some discussion we decided that he can sleep in the living room and I won't be talking with him. I know - I'm <I>too</I> nice. Plus I ended up talking to him.

So, he stayed and is trying to reconcile the relationship and was surprisingly understanding that I have to go. He thinks that he can still make "us" work and follow me to Illinois after the summer. I don't know how exactly to respond. "Us" won't happen, but maybe his daddy-hood will. I don't want it, but that's just what I want. He claims he's going to stay here for now and get "help". His words sound very sober since I told him I'm leaving. (Not blinded by anger). This sucks. I want to pick another daddy. :eek:

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
If only life where that easy. Daddy's &amp; Mommy's R Us would make a fortune. I have a child with my X and I would never take her back but I sure wish I had her with my current wife, yadda yadda.

I'm glad you know not to buy into what he is saying. It is the same ol' story we have all heard a thousand times.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Heidi all I can say is get used to this cycle because it will repeat itself. It's called the honeymoon phase. They argue, apologize, things are calm and then it begins again.
By allowing him to stay you have only taught him that it is ok to talk to you that way and treat you like that. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it's the truth. I wish you the best.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
HappyMomma said:
I think it will help that he has already lost custody of a previous child, as well.
This is not true even in the slightest.

musicmom said:
Heidi all I can say is get used to this cycle because it will repeat itself. It's called the honeymoon phase. They argue, apologize, things are calm and then it begins again.
By allowing him to stay you have only taught him that it is ok to talk to you that way and treat you like that. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it's the truth. I wish you the best.
I agree its part of the cycle.

I wouldnt communicate with him anymore. Get yur butt moved because until the child has been in the other state for over six months he can still file in the state you lived in prior. The child is not under the others states jurisdiction until 6 months of residence. Which means you can move but your filings will be long distance. Do not communicate with him or give him any ideas or he can get a court order refusing you to take the child of state until all hearings are done and over with.
So play along with him for a while to let him think he can come louisiana and work things out. Then you are gonna have to wait to be an official resident and file immediately. You are going to have problems with that too because that will give six months of time where the court will say he had time to change. You will need to document all conversations. All visitations and pull any records of any law offenses if they were criminal or abusive. Those thank god are permnant.
You need to find out if he fought for his first child or if he let the mother have it without a fight. There might be good reason in that court paperwork you will need as evidence. Your word will not work in court. You will need documented evidence as to why you want your child supervised during visitation.
In the mean time listen to your friends. DO CALL the police if you ever feel threatened. Get the case numbers. DO file a restraining order if he threatens you or harms you in anyway. Save your paperwork.
Keep being nice but remember if you are doing the right thing the law is on your side with proof. No evidence and they dont care.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
mmynedshlp said:
You will need to document all conversations. All visitations and pull any records of any law offenses if they were criminal or abusive. Those thank god are permnant.
You need to find out if he fought for his first child or if he let the mother have it without a fight. There might be good reason in that court paperwork you will need as evidence. Your word will not work in court. You will need documented evidence as to why you want your child supervised during visitation.
In the mean time listen to your friends. DO CALL the police if you ever feel threatened. Get the case numbers. DO file a restraining order if he threatens you or harms you in anyway. Save your paperwork.
Keep being nice but remember if you are doing the right thing the law is on your side with proof. No evidence and they dont care.
I agree 100%

Documentation is your friend. Hope for the best but expect the worse.