Woman Rules...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad, I posted all of this in the Playground (except that first one) and then they disappeared, it was really weird. I'm going to move them back I guess?? :/

lia227

Apr 19, 2010
Since you seem open for constructive comments on this, I'll say that I find it very interesting the way some of the things on this list are very feminist, and some are very...not.

It's wonderful, for example, that you have rules about women carrying cash for a cab and learning self defense. However, I do think it kind of sucks that our society has decided that women must be hairless (when men don't have to be) and I certainly would still love and respect my daughter if she grew up and decided she wasn't going to shave her legs. I mean, number 9 for example, what if the mechanic was a woman?

I'm also a little baffled by 21. Of course it's not important that a man be beautiful, but this after making it clear that the woman should be, if not beautiful, at least aesthetically pleasing and conforming to social norms for appearance?

Also, since it seems to be a pet-peeve of yours, I'll let you know that I do have a little hair on my toes. And I don't do a damn thing about it. I paint my toe-nails pretty colors and wear strappy sandals proudly.

Having said all of that, you don't need to change anything on this list. What you want to pass on to other women is entirely up to you and kudos to you for having a list at all.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
I think #9 should apply to everyone.
Dirt under your nails is never a good thing, dirty nails = dirty hands and you should keep your hand and nails clean for the sake of your health, not just so people don't have to touch some ones stanky hands.

As for the hair thing, if guys choose to shave they can, plenty of guys shave, it's not that uncommon anymore. I know a cop who shaves his arms for the sake of not getting his arm hair pulled in a fight but I know a bunch of guys who do stuff like that. Me personally I hate excess hair, plain and simple, if I hate it its shaved off, no need for hobbit toes.

I came into this world free and if I want something different about myself I will change it, no need to go around and embrace something I don't like.

BigDaddy

May 25, 2010
Largo, Florida
Father_0f_6 said:
OH!!! And I really want to hear the boy's list too.
I am not totally sure of the complete list, but if its anything like my house

Rule # 1 = The wife is always right.......Just sit down and shut up and life will be much more pleasant.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Big D, you may want to look, I think we did come up with a list, and I'm pretty sure that was in fact #1...You know, the three little words every woman loves to hear....."You were right." ;-)

SchrodingersCat

Jul 27, 2010
Mom2all said:
4. What women have is gold.. every man a pirate after it. If you offer it
away like it worthless, it's copper. People walk by pennies all day long
never stop to pick them up. Keep the gold.
I actually feel like this objectifies women in a way. It makes it sound like sex is a commodity, even if it's an expensive commodity to be horded. I prefer to think of sex as something I share with someone I love, not something I give away.

5. Long hair is attractive.. but not on your legs or pits.
Very Western thinking. There are parts of the world where thin or no hair is considered ugly. I used to refuse to shave: partially because it was a pain in the neck to do it every other day, and partially because I was a hippie who wanted to reject social norms. Now I do body sugaring because I enjoy the look and feel, and it only has to be done every 6 weeks instead of every other day.

7. Deodorant is not just for pits, its for all sweaty parts. Apply it.
As long as it isn't smelly, there's nothing wrong with some sweat. Obviously if you're going to a fancy place, it isn't appropriate. But people sweat and I think it's silly to pretend we aren't normal, with body functions. And hey guess what, women also FART! :)

9. Mechanics have an excuse for dirty finger nails, not you.
Have you ever tried to plant or weed a 20 foot garden without getting some dirt under your nails? And how many of those French manicures are hiding grungy filth?

13. With make-up, less is always more. People laugh at clowns.
This one I completely agree with! I always think make-up, if you can detect it, looks silly. I only like to wear costume make-up, i.e. face-painting for a crazy party.

15. Perfume should scent your body, not the whole room. Again, too
much of a good thing, is.
YES YES YES!!! Thank you!! As someone with a scent sensitivity, who gets headaches from all but the highest quality fragrances (and no one ever douses themselves with something that costs $300 a bottle), I could not possibly agree more!

16. Educate yourself. You do not need a man to carry you. Something
carried on someones else's back is a leech. They get plucked off. Be a
partner, not a leech.
Behind every successful man is a woman!

17. Expect your date to open the door and walk you to your steps. If
he doesn't respect you in the begining, how will he later on? If he
pulls up and beeps his horn, let him beep it til the battery dies. A
good woman deserves a good man.
I love the chivalry of having a man make a big production of opening the door with a little bow as I walk through.

I also like to skip ahead and open the door for my date. It's 2010 and Chivalry works both ways!

22. If your wrong, say your wrong and say your sorry.
This applies to everyone!