Banning packed lunches -- seriously?...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Myself i'm not that opposed to school lunches in general, but this notion that some busybodies would be deciding what my children are allowed or not allowed to eat - I think is a major infringement of civil liberties.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ohhh I see... "AK MOM" haha wow I feel so stupid right now. And I'm over here, like "where do you live?" Oh my.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
singledad said:
I can't help wondering, though, how do they cater for everyone? Allergies? Vegetarians/Vegans? Kosher? Halaal? Surely, if they want to force you to eat their food, they have to cater for your requirements (both dietary and budget)?
Well, from experience I can say that vegetarians usually just get a plate of random side dishes when meals are bulk-prepared. Every time I am in hospital, as an example, I usually get a plate of cooked vegetables with a salad and a piece of bread. No iron, no protein, no calcium, just whatever was being served on the side. If I'm lucky then the soup is a vegetarian one, but half the time it isn't.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That's just lazy. When we host, I can always accommodate vegetarians in a pinch. If you eat eggs and dairy, it's extremely easy. For soups, you just substitute veggie broth; it's almost as tasty, and for seasoned vegetarians, they don't even know what they're missing. Pizza is another easy one; just don't use a meaty sauce, and don't add meat toppings. For sandwiches, substitute a portabella mushroom. For burgers, any store will sell vegetarian patties; I make my own very delicious black bean patty that I actually prefer over beef. Then there are pastas, casseroles, quiches... all with eggs/milk for the protein. Now vegans are a little harder, but I can do that too. I've even made seitan.

It's the gluten sensitivities that would be hard to accommodate. And even that is not terribly hard; it is just hard to substitute ingredients so that you're serving basically the same meal, but gluten-free.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I do expect a hospital to be able to get it right though. But no.

There is nothing like 16 hours of labour, pushing out a baby and breastfeeding, being ravenously hungry as a result and receiving a garden salad, apple and miniature apple juice to set off the tears.

Sorry, that's a little off topic from the school lunches.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Not really. The tendency of establishments to be unable to accommodate special dietary needs in a meaningful way is the topic. And sorry, but no kid is going to be doing their best at school if they consistently miss out on a filling, balanced meal.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
Not really. The tendency of establishments to be unable to accommodate special dietary needs in a meaningful way is the topic. And sorry, but no kid is going to be doing their best at school if they consistently miss out on a filling, balanced meal.
My point exactly. If they won't let you bring your own lunch, they have to give you something good. And that includes a decent, well balanced vegan meal, not just leave out the meat and call it vegetation. And they must cater for allergies. Our else, let those with special dietary requirements bring their own. But then you'll never be able to draw the line in a place that makes everyone happy, so..

adoptive dad

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Winchester UK
I saw this program by one of the celebrity chefs - I think it was Heston Blumenthal which looked at food provided by insitutions (including schools and hospitals) then he set about developing what he saw. There was another one focusing on hospital food by the guy from Saturday Kitchen, I'll try and find youtube clips - let's just say its interesting what little care goes into food given to those being cared for

adoptive dad

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Winchester UK
The Heston Blumenthal one is called Heston's Mission Impossible - Fern knows these things can't remember the other one but certainly look the heston one up

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
It was Jamie Oliver as well, and some other famous restauranteurs.

food quality in school/hospital cantines -- lets be honest -- they don't employ highly skilled chefs nor they buy premium quality ingredients. It is all about being lowest cost possible. Now lets remember the horsemeat scandal as well.
So i really don't buy some celebrities being experts on school catering.

As for school dinners being "balanced" -- ok, let's say it is -- how many kids actually eat everything what's on the plate? If a kid only eats potatoes, and leaves everything else? How balanced that is?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Which is why packed lunches make more sense. Parents pack what they know their kids will eat.

Yes, unfortunately some parents will pack junk food, but I struggle to imagine that it is the overwhelming majority.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
My little one loves tuna sandwiches. I have it all planned out for preschool already. (well, one more year)
Tuna sandwich, cup of vanilla yogurt with raisins, a banana and some cranberry juice. I mean, I think we're sitting on a winner here. And yes he will eat it all. This boy can really eat!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
JakeW said:
My little one loves tuna sandwiches. I have it all planned out for preschool already. (well, one more year)
Tuna sandwich, cup of vanilla yogurt with raisins, a banana and some cranberry juice. I mean, I think we're sitting on a winner here. And yes he will eat it all. This boy can really eat!
every day? How about a green vegi in there. My youngest like spinach and green pepper slices.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
Haha, no. That is just one lunch idea.
Celery sticks, with peanut butter for a green, to pack a good protein punch? But its not like he needs protein. This kid is extremely strong!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Bumping up because I stumbled across this blog, I think it's fascinating. People submit photos of school lunches (and some packed lunches) from all around the world.
I find the comparisons really interesting, there are some school lunches that look pretty shocking, but some that look amazing, and some packed lunches that look shocking and some that look amazing (I think France have it right).

Kind of muddies the waters a bit. It's an issue with so many variables.

http://whatsforschoollunch.blogspot.com.au/

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
A lot of those lunches would be hard to pack because they are messy. And if it needs to be heated, that is a problem, because there is a line for the microwave. Kids don't have much time to eat as it is, without having to wait for the microwave.

I pack my daughter's lunches in a tackle box (tackle removed) with an ice pack. I wrap the gel pack around the drink thermos and freeze it that way, so it's shaped just right. That way I can pack her milk or juice, and it will stay plenty cold until lunch.