Christian Parents...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
HappyMomma said:
This brings to mind a question. For the parents that are Christian... Do you feel that it's important to expose your children to various theologies or do you only want them to be exposed to Christianity?

That's a tough question HappyMomma. While I want my daughter to be as well-rounded as possible, it is my faith and my beliefs that tell me that she needs to be a Christian. I won't personally introduce her to any other religions as far as information about them. She can choose to investigate others if should would like as far as gathering knowledge, but I will always encourage her to follow Christianity.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
sarushjr said:
That's a tough question HappyMomma. While I want my daughter to be as well-rounded as possible, it is my faith and my beliefs that tell me that she needs to be a Christian. I won't personally introduce her to any other religions as far as information about them. She can choose to investigate others if should would like as far as gathering knowledge, but I will always encourage her to follow Christianity.
Same here. And good for you!!

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I'm also a Methodist. We don't have synods in our denomination. Our church is part of the West Ohio Conference, which is part of the National Conference. We have two Sunday morning services, with Sunday school class in between. We used to have a contemporary service on Thursday nights, but it never really caught on, so it's been shelved for now.

musicmom said:
After Catholic church pretty much any church seems fun. lol
I'm scared of the churches that have people running around, speaking in tongues. I think that's southern baptist. I went once when my girls were babies and turned to my mother and seriously asked "are they going to bring out snakes"
I do not believe in the talking in tongues.:nah:
Actually, that's Pentecostals, not Southern Baptist. I grew up as a Baptodist (Methodist and Southern Baptist), and never saw/heard anyone speaking in tongues.

musicmom said:
Maybe a real foreign language was misunderstood and was said to be speaking in tongues? It's only a translation so there is no real proof.
Speaking in tongues IS speaking in a real language...it's just a language that you have never had any ability to speak in. You might suddenly start speaking in Hebrew or Greek or Farsi or Portugese....any language there is, that you've never had the ability to speak in previously. And then, if it truly comes from God, there will be someone else there who will be given the ability to translate what you say.

HappyMomma said:
This brings to mind a question. For the parents that are Christian... Do you feel that it's important to expose your children to various theologies or do you only want them to be exposed to Christianity?
I made sure my three were exposed to other belief systems during their teen years. I would prefer for them to be Christians, but I want them to make an INFORMED choice, not just to be a Christian because it's the only thing they know. I became a Christian originally just because it was expected of me, and found myself with a LOT of questions during my college years...I explored a lot of other paths during that time. I did come back to Christianity eventually, but I would rather have explored the other paths FIRST.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Technically, I'm Southern Baptist, but I highly disagree with a lot of their beliefs and practices so I don't really consider myself one anymore.

Pentecostals are generally the ones that speak in tongues . . . and force women to wear fugly skirts . . . and who knows what else.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I can promise it's not Hebrew, Farsi or Greek or Portgese. I've heard it. It's gibberish.
Here where "I" live it is Southern Baptist. Our pentecostals are more like Catholic. Come to a Southern Church and you'll see what I'm talking about. Totally different ballpark.
People who talk in tongues know what they are saying, it can not be translated. This is I DO know.
My brother and also my BIL have a docterine in religion and I've asked this very question.
Why do you always feel the need to "correct" when you are incorrect?

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Nate and I talked about finding a nondenominational church because I would like for my children to be raised with a belief in God. I'm never going to force anything on my kids, but I want to give them the option.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
PennQuaker09 said:
Technically, I'm Southern Baptist, but I highly disagree with a lot of their beliefs and practices so I don't really consider myself one anymore.

Pentecostals are generally the ones that speak in tongues . . . and force women to wear fugly skirts . . . and who knows what else.
Just how fugly? Like Amish? That the mormons here. I walked into a function for my mom and her best friend and of course I had cleavage coing on. Whoops. No one warned me.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
musicmom said:
I can promise it's not Hebrew, Farsi or Greek or Portgese. I've heard it. It's gibberish.
Here where "I" live it is Southern Baptist. Our pentecostals are more like Catholic. Come to a Southern Church and you'll see what I'm talking about. Totally different ballpark.
People who talk in tongues know what they are saying, it can not be translated. This is I DO know.
My brother and also my BIL have a docterine in religion and I've asked this very question.
Why do you always feel the need to "correct" when you are incorrect?
I'm not "correcting," per se....I'm stating what the Bible tells us about speaking in tongues. How a certain church or denomination defines it is none of my concern. I will stick with the way God says it should happen.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Ok now I understand thanks for clearing that up. You have to know that the bible is translated and tho the majority is correct, some of it can be scientifically proven. I am also a Christian. I find it interesting.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Where do you live again, musicmom?

The skirts . . .

We all buy or attempt to buy clothing that fits our bodies, right? Well, every woman cannot pull off ankle length skirts, nor should they be required to. I don't just mean women, ALL of the girls have to wear ankle length skirts and for the most part, they are usually denim. They also are not allowed to cut their hair, which aesthetics aside, is completely unhealthy (for your hair, that is).

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
In South Florida. Where I live it's different. I live on a Cape and it's a different world from the "main" town which is a tiny bit old fashioned. So when you go off of the island you see the old world. hahaha
It's squeeky clean where I live and the churches and everything are all new and are updated.
I could drive out to "the skirts" and that's where I see those things. lol

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Teresa said:
I'm also a Methodist. We don't have synods in our denomination. Our church is part of the West Ohio Conference, which is part of the National Conference. We have two Sunday morning services, with Sunday school class in between. We used to have a contemporary service on Thursday nights, but it never really caught on, so it's been shelved for now.

Actually, that's Pentecostals, not Southern Baptist. I grew up as a Baptodist (Methodist and Southern Baptist), and never saw/heard anyone speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues IS speaking in a real language...it's just a language that you have never had any ability to speak in. You might suddenly start speaking in Hebrew or Greek or Farsi or Portugese....any language there is, that you've never had the ability to speak in previously. And then, if it truly comes from God, there will be someone else there who will be given the ability to translate what you say.

I made sure my three were exposed to other belief systems during their teen years. I would prefer for them to be Christians, but I want them to make an INFORMED choice, not just to be a Christian because it's the only thing they know. I became a Christian originally just because it was expected of me, and found myself with a LOT of questions during my college years...I explored a lot of other paths during that time. I did come back to Christianity eventually, but I would rather have explored the other paths FIRST.

Teresa - check your PM's.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
So I have to ask ... the USA seems very strong on religion... IMO ... where does it come from ... is it taught in schools.. politicians...etc .. ??

Canada is quite spiritual ... but I cant honestly say there is a religious following like that of the USA

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
hwnorth said:
So I have to ask ... the USA seems very strong on religion... IMO ... where does it come from ... is it taught in schools.. politicians...etc .. ??
To give you a serious answer, it goes back to when the US was first colonized. People came here for religious freedom, and we are still dealing with that legacy.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
hwnorth said:

Canada is quite spiritual ... but I cant honestly say there is a religious following like that of the USA
It comes from the home.Parents instill it into their children, who instill it into their children, etc. It goes back to the roots of our country, since most of it was colonized as a place for religious freedom.