Christian Parents...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
HappyMomma said:
This brings to mind a question. For the parents that are Christian... Do you feel that it's important to expose your children to various theologies or do you only want them to be exposed to Christianity?
Yes my child will or is exposed to other religions and cultures. It is still important to me that my child is Christian though. NO I would not disown her or whatever and would even take her to other denomination/ religions at an appropriate age if that is what she would want to do.
I still want and pray that she will be Christian and a better one then I am.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
musicmom said:
Maybe a real foreign language was misunderstood and was said to be speaking in tongues? It's only a translation so there is no real proof.

At the risk of offending any Charismatics, tongues is not real. What it was, was on the day of Pentecost, people came to a certain town (I forget the name of the town and I have the book that shows it all...however, my dad is here from Indiana to pick up my son and take him up for a month and he's asleep on my couch, so I can't get to the table where it is...when he wakes up, I'll pull it out and post my proof and reference)

Anyway...that certain town was a waterfront town and a HUGE merchant city. People from all over the region came to the dock and went into the town to purchase their goods. So, you had like 12 (I believe it was 12 different cities/languages listed) that were going on. REAL languages. Not gibberish.

Bah....I really wanna post the proof. Now you all got me wanting to sneak around the couch and try to dig it out without waking him up. (He's been driving all night, so he's napping before he heads back)

Anyway...until I can post the proof.....

I was raised United Methodist. Then, when I married my ex, he was raised Pentecostal, so I was into it for awhile. Then, when I married my current husband, he showed me some scripture to debunk a lot of what pentecostals believe. So, I am now Independant Fundamental Baptist.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
sarushjr said:
I can say to not put too much stock into Joel Osteen. He's more of a Dr. Phil than a Christian Theologist. .
Don't put much stock? Don't put ANY stock in him. The man was on 60 seconds and NOT ONCE acknowledged or even spoke the name Jesus Christ OR God. He promotted his church. Now, if the man was a true man of God, he would have somehow found a way to throw in the name of the Saviour.

I used to really like Olsteen. Until I seen that interview and heard a few more of his sermons. He's all prosperity. Which is great, God does want his people to prosper, but he also wants salvation preached to a dying world, and not once have I ever heard the man even hint at salvation.

I don't place a lot of stock in these 'mega-churches'. Lakewood (Olsteen's church) rakes in $30,000 from it's members and $70,000 from outside donations. I know I'm not supposed to judge, but it seems to me if the man had this much money coming in, he'd occasionally mention salvation and the name of his Lord when given the opportunity.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Ok 12 languages......how many are here now? I'm just saying that this book was written before the knowledge of alot of things that we know now. It may or may not be true. I'm just saying my personal belief is I don't believe it.
The disciples who wrote the books are also the one's who tried to stop people from coming unto Jesus so I'm sorry if I do not believe everything that they wrote.

I'll make sure to ask God though. I'm sure he already has a manual for when I get there. ;)

Don't you dare wake up your dad child!

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
PennQuaker09 said:
Pentecostals are generally the ones that speak in tongues . . . and force women to wear fugly skirts . . . and who knows what else.
Actually, that's Apostolic Pentecostals. The Jesus-only group. They also can't cut their hair or wear make-up.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Amber said:
Don't put much stock? Don't put ANY stock in him. The man was on 60 seconds and NOT ONCE acknowledged or even spoke the name Jesus Christ OR God. He promotted his church. Now, if the man was a true man of God, he would have somehow found a way to throw in the name of the Saviour.

I used to really like Olsteen. Until I seen that interview and heard a few more of his sermons. He's all prosperity. Which is great, God does want his people to prosper, but he also wants salvation preached to a dying world, and not once have I ever heard the man even hint at salvation.

I don't place a lot of stock in these 'mega-churches'. Lakewood (Olsteen's church) rakes in $30,000 from it's members and $70,000 from outside donations. I know I'm not supposed to judge, but it seems to me if the man had this much money coming in, he'd occasionally mention salvation and the name of his Lord when given the opportunity.
So true and instead of a huge house, he'd have some foster children or building houses for the homeless. I've never cared for any preacher who is well dressed, living like a king when his flock is suffering.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
musicmom said:
Ok 12 languages......how many are here now? I'm just saying that this book was written before the knowledge of alot of things that we know now. It may or may not be true. I'm just saying my personal belief is I don't believe it.
The disciples who wrote the books are also the one's who tried to stop people from coming unto Jesus so I'm sorry if I do not believe everything that they wrote.

I'll make sure to ask God though. I'm sure he already has a manual for when I get there. ;)

Don't you dare wake up your dad child!
So true...there are TONS of languages out here now, so I guess, in a sense, "tongues" is still a very prevelant thing. However, it's not the "tongues" that the snake handling charismatics make it out to be. It's not a "aaaahandalashikiakiyandaliealnvir093q984u504qut jvj0 who-stola-my-honda" kind of thing. It was a real language, whether it was Hebrew, Latin, whatever. And also, the spirit does not move like that anymore, so the chances of it happening again like that are slim to none. (Again, I have proof, but can't get to it) It has a lot to do with the time of dispensation. We live in a different dispensation than the disciples did.

I guess I better apologize now. I just kind of sat back and thought about what I've wrote in my last few posts. I've studied a lot of religions, and I'm actually quite adamant and very much a believer of Baptists beliefs. If I come across as harse, I really don't mean to be, so please take that into consideration.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Amber, are you kidding me. You? Harsh? You are a sweetheart, I would never think that.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
musicmom said:
Amber, are you kidding me. You? Harsh? You are a sweetheart, I would never think that.

:biglaugh:

I actually am very meek most of the time. I just have firm beliefs about my beliefs and won't sway for anyone unless they can offer me proof. I don't like to pass judgement or try to forcefeed people my Bible. I do, however, come across kind of strong when I speak about religious issues. I don't mean to, it just kind of comes out, and when I go back and read it, I think to myself "Man, that sounds harsh" but I don't know any other way to word it.

And MM, I think you're a sweetheart, too!:wubclub: