Clothes and dancing...

VeggieMomma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2012
Homosassa, FL
Tank tops are revealing because of how they are cut, especially if the girl has breasts already which most do by the age of 11/12/13.. My sister and her best friend (also 12) are already a size B.. They just aren't appropriate. That's why they aren't allowed to be worn in schools, etc.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Cop2be, I don't understand your bra argument. You can't argue that it's an Australia-only issue then apply American sizing to it, you ahve to go by the Australian sizing, and that bra set, in Australian sizing would fit a 7yr old. It doesn't work as age=size here.

Also, you didn't address the fact that the bra is heavily padded. If you have boobs you don't need the padding, and why does a pre-teen need to make their breasts look bigger?

Hence why when I mentioned my size I said US 0, because in Australian sizing, I am a 6, 0 doesn't exist.

Also, should note that it's very unlikely to be a "wrong side of the hemisphere" thing, especially when most of our clothing is based off American trends, remember, you are always a season ahead of us.

I should also note, I don't have an issue with "revealing" clothing for kids, my girls wear singlets and shorts and midriff tops, as I previously stated at the beginning of the thread, I am of the belief that you can't sexualise a non-sexual child. However, I am against trashy clothing, such as clothing with distasteful slogans, or underwear being paraded as shorts, or padded bras and bikinis for kids, because to me, that's not even clothing, that's just weird.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Cop2be said:
Well here in the US I haven't seen any of that stuff.
Do you frequent kids (Not teens) clothing stores?

Cop2be said:
And what's wrong with two pieces on toddlers?
Two-pieces are for women. Toddlers aren't women. Yes, I know a lot of people think it's cute, and perhaps it is, but I'm not volunteering to explain to a a girl who is full of puberty hormones why she suddenly have to give up wearing two-pieces.

Cop2be said:
Why does a 1 piece equate with less sexual?
It just does. Ask any guy.

Cop2be said:
Why does is matter at all?
Because little girls who are too aware of their sexuality too young is a problem, and boys who are aware of the sexuality of little girls are an even bigger problem. Really. I can't believe we have to explain this to you...

Cop2be said:
Adults are the ones sexualizing things....
Perhaps so. But they live among adults who are sexualising things. This isn't utopia. In an ideal world no one would look twice at a little girl/pre-teen in a two-piece, but this isn't an ideal world. I know it's unfair, but to me this sounds like the argument of a girl who sees nothing wrong with walking alone in a bad neighbourhood at night, because she should be able to do so, men shouldn't see her as fair game...

Cop2be said:
I wear tank tops by themselves, during the spring and summer, I don't feel more beautiful or more sexy, I feel cooler, its effing hot here and the last thing I want to deal with is sweaty pits, no matter if I have deo on or not, I still get sweaty, so therefore a tank top is worn.

Its not the cut of the fabric its the way its worn and the attitude behind it...
Tank tops are sexy. I love them on my girlfriend. My girlfriend is a 30-something woman who 1) Is able to take care of herself among men 2) Knows when it's appropriate to cover up more and 3) Has mastered the art of striking the correct balance between sexy and trashy.

My daughter can wear tank-tops when she can tick these three boxes. I won't put an age to it. I'll see when she's ready.

btw - Shoulders, especially if they're slightly muscular and well-toned, are sexy. Yes - sexy is not just about boobs (although they're nice too :p)

Cop2be said:
You both live on the other side of the pond from me, maybe something is wrong with your countries and for some reason people think americans are terrible.
What do you mean with this?

Last edited:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
VeggieMomma said:
Tank tops are revealing because of how they are cut, especially if the girl has breasts already which most do by the age of 11/12/13.. My sister and her best friend (also 12) are already a size B.. They just aren't appropriate. That's why they aren't allowed to be worn in schools, etc.
Depends on where you go to school...
I wore tank tops all through out high school, spaghetti straps weren't allowed, but tank tops were.

TANK TOPS generally cover enough, spaghetti straps sometimes don't.

VeggieMomma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2012
Homosassa, FL
Cop2be said:
Depends on where you go to school...
I wore tank tops all through out high school, spaghetti straps weren't allowed, but tank tops were.

TANK TOPS generally cover enough, spaghetti straps sometimes don't.
Tank tops are not allowed in ANY middle school I know of, high school maybe but again, we are talking about YOUNG girls. Tank tops are sexy, like SingleDad said above and like I said again, they just aren't appropriate for young girls... Spaghetti straps are also unacceptable for young girls... They can be worn UNDER things but they are not okay to be worn alone by young girls. This is just MHO.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
VeggieMomma said:
Tank tops are not allowed in ANY middle school I know of, high school maybe but again, we are talking about YOUNG girls. Tank tops are sexy, like SingleDad said above and like I said again, they just aren't appropriate for young girls... Spaghetti straps are also unacceptable for young girls... They can be worn UNDER things but they are not okay to be worn alone by young girls. This is just MHO.
And by young girls we (or at least I) mean pre-teans. 9/10/11 year olds. By the time they 13/14, I think it becomes an individual thing, based on the particular girl's maturity/personality, where she will wear it and with what.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
VeggieMomma said:
My middle school in ny.

And yes I frequent those stores, I work at one.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
singledad said:
Tank tops are sexy. I love them on my girlfriend. My girlfriend is a 30-something woman who 1) Is able to take care of herself among men 2) Knows when it's appropriate to cover up more and 3) Has mastered the art of striking the correct balance between sexy and trashy.

My daughter can wear tank-tops when she can tick these three boxes. I won't put an age to it. I'll see when she's ready.

btw - Shoulders, especially if they're slightly muscular and well-toned, are sexy. Yes - sexy is not just about boobs (although they're nice too :p)
This. Lots of this.

The way I put it to my kids is that like it or not, your appearance says more about you to most people than your mind. Sadly we live in a world where it always will. It is entirely your choice what you want your appearance to say and you can choose that to be as similar or different from each other as you like, as it is yourself that you need to portray. However you need to keep in mind that it is no co-incidence that people who dress stereotypically trashy are perceived as unintelligent (the word we use here is "bogan" I am sure every country has their own version of this) you can be the smartest person in the world, but if you are walking around in denim hotpants, a skin tight strappy singlet with bellybutton and bra straps showing and ugg boots or a bintang bali singlet and tracksuit pants with holes in the knees, no one is going to take you seriously.

I use myself as an example, I have a lot of body mods, I have tattoos, piercings, coloured hair, pointed ears, and a lot of judgement comes with that, deserved judgement, because I chose to do these things to myself because I choose to portray myself in that manner. BUT I have to wear the judgement, and I have no right to call it unfair, because it always has been glaringly obvious that I will bring that type of judgement upon myself.

Same goes for how you dress.

Not all my kids dress conservatively, but they do know that they have no point to complain about how they are perceived if they portray themselves in a manner which encourages that perception. I actually think that makes them think about how they look. Whilst some of them (okay, Dita and Azriel) may not look 'conventional' and both are too similar to me for my comfort, Azriel isn't parading around in sexist slogan tshirts, and Dita's bottom stays inside her clothing, rather than popping out the bottom of short shorts. Sadly, the same cannot be said for other kids their age.

Edit: And yes, Dita is a young adult, not a child. She is a young adult who manages to have more dignity and class about her than a lot of other young adults around her, despite the green hair, tattoos and piercings, which I find quite fascinating. It comes in a combination of the way she dresses, the way she speaks and the way she doesn't have every body part she has on show.

Last edited:

VeggieMomma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2012
Homosassa, FL
singledad said:
And by young girls we (or at least I) mean pre-teans. 9/10/11 year olds. By the time they 13/14, I think it becomes an individual thing, based on the particular girl's maturity/personality, where she will wear it and with what.
I agree :) I think that once they are into high school it's a topic to revisit but I still don't think Id let my 14 year old wear a tank top anywhere in public, spaghetti strap or otherwise..

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
http://www.evo.com/imgp/1500/54950/301225/oakley-stability-tank-top-women-s-jet-black-front.jpg[/url]

That's a tank top.
I see nothing in the slightest bit revealing. The neck line is cut like most shirts with sleeves. Most vneck shirts are cut lower than that.
I see nothing wrong with this tank top and most fit like that.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
i always wear tank tops or spaghetti straps in hot weather. always have been.
revealing what? oh well... a man can take his shirt off in public almost anytime without any outrage. a woman cannot. i don't adovacate running around topless, but to worry that a regular tank top is too revealing -- are you living in Middle East, or what?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
TabascoNatalie said:
i always wear tank tops or spaghetti straps in hot weather. always have been.
revealing what? oh well... a man can take his shirt off in public almost anytime without any outrage. a woman cannot. i don't adovacate running around topless, but to worry that a regular tank top is too revealing -- are you living in Middle East, or what?
You're an adult woman. Not my 6 year old daughter. I have no problem with a grown woman wearing fairly revealing clothes, as long as it isn't trashy. We are talking about clothes for little girls.

Edited to add: I don't even mind if it is trashy, but then she mustn't expect me to take her seriously, our blame me for objectifying her. Btw. The link c2b posted is not trashy. My girlfriend wears more revealing clothes than that. But I still won't let my 6 year old daughter wear it.

Last edited:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
I always have wore that stuff too. As long as the important bits were covered I was just fine. I wore shorts above my knees but my ass was always covered. I wore tank tops, spaghetti straps etc and my boobs never hung out. I wore a lot of stuff and never wore it revealing. I don't see what's wrong with most clothes as long as they are worn in a way that is tasteful.

When I was 8 or 9 I wore a lot of spandex shorts, like white cotton spandex that came about mid thigh, and tshirts, usually my titanic one (90's kid) and they weren't hot pants, it really was no different than the vast amounts of little girls who wear leggings and shirts because that seems to be what they wear here till about 5 or 6 and their parents battle them for the next few years to wear jeans.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Tank tops, sexy? I have never heard that, maybe they are just more common place here?

I know I wear nothing but tank tops, even when it's 32 degrees outside. Sleeves drive me insane, anything to close to my neck makes me gag. Forget turtle neck shirts, I feel like someone is choking me.

My girls all wear them, mainly in the summer cause it get's so hot. I've just never thought of them as 'sexy', not to say some of them don't have the potential, just that everyday tanks are...well tank tops, and nothing more.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I guess I just dont get overly concerned by what others wear. The have been a couple of time when I was at a park where there had been a little girl dressed as a hooker. But I also met a little boy at a park who was wearing a superman costume. His mom says he insisted on wearing it. I have always thought of clothing as kinda a personal choice.

My personal choice has three settings

Work= casual/ practical/professional

Comfortable

Funeral

Not much in between really.

The "lookin cool " ship sailed when most of my hair went down the river.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
mom2many said:
Tank tops, sexy? I have never heard that, maybe they are just more common place here?

I know I wear nothing but tank tops, even when it's 32 degrees outside. Sleeves drive me insane, anything to close to my neck makes me gag. Forget turtle neck shirts, I feel like someone is choking me.

My girls all wear them, mainly in the summer cause it get's so hot. I've just never thought of them as 'sexy', not to say some of them don't have the potential, just that everyday tanks are...well tank tops, and nothing more.
Sorry to break it to you, but apparently you just look sexy everyday :D

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think tank tops and singlets get confused a lot. I have never heard the phrase tank top, everything is just a singlet, some ave different straps, never heard of "spaghetti straps" except for online either. There is possibly a little bit of lost in translation going on here.

I don't take huge issue to singlets, except for your ultra low v-neck padded ones that usually show up in particular stores that Sunny makes a b-line for, because she really does look insanely trashy in them *cough Supre cough* which happens to be a store I've banned based solely on their crap quality anyway, I am absolutely done burning my money there only for the clothes to start coming apart at the seams after two or three wears. Waste of money that place.

Possibly the biggest issue I take is to sexist slogans I must admit. There are some really vulgar ones out there, especially on teen boy's clothes. Ick.

Also I am big on appropriate clothes for appropriate situations. We had Sunny's primary school graduation last night and gotta admit, there was a lot of 11-12yr old (also have to remember that Sunny was kept down, so she is older than the others) girls there with their, well... buds on display. Which really has no potential to ever look good. It just looks awkward and weird. Not to mention that the hollywood tape was being passed around because there were a few nipple slips.