Gay parents...

should Gay people be allowe to adopt children...

• Yes...

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • No...

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Yes, with exceptions...

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hartz75 said:
In a perfect world we would not have gays, lesbians, divorce, rape, abuse and other things. If we could have a perfect world I would love it, but we don't.

quote]

um, I don't think this was meant to be hurtful, but I can certainly see how I I (by virtue of my sexual orientation) were included in a list of socially unacceptable things I might take offense at it. Try replacing some words and see if you get what I mean...

"In a perfect world we would not have Americans, Canadians, Women, rape, abuse and other things..."

I'm hoping Harts meant that in a perfect world we wouldn't have controversial topics to deal with, maybe?
:eek:
No I was not meant to be hurtful at all and your sexual orientation is not socially unacceptable to me and I guess now that I realize lumping it in with rape and abuse was not quite what I meant. Yes I wish the world did not have controversial topics.

I have tried re-wording my words again but it just does not sound right and I can't get the right words. (I can be word challenged)

Guess I really messed this one up. Here I thought I was saying the right thing and I said the stupid thing. :swoon:[/quote]

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
its okay. i do know what you meant.... although in your idea of a perfect world i would not exist and my two little girls would still be being moved from foster home to foster home and would probably still be being abused and neglected... i think a perfect world should be focused on what we all have in common rather than our differences don't you?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Hartz75 said:
In a perfect world we would not have gays, lesbians, divorce, rape, abuse and other things. If we could have a perfect world I would love it, but we don't.
um, I don't think this was meant to be hurtful, but I can certainly see how I I (by virtue of my sexual orientation) were included in a list of socially unacceptable things I might take offense at it. Try replacing some words and see if you get what I mean...

"In a perfect world we would not have Americans, Canadians, Women, rape, abuse and other things..."

I'm hoping Harts meant that in a perfect world we wouldn't have controversial topics to deal with, maybe?[/quote]

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Yes I do. That is why I thought I said earlier that it is more about the love and care for the children then about race or sex. I think everyone having differences in this world is good it helps each other. IF we were all the same it would be very boring. LOL

My "stupid" statement was for people who was againt your situation it was trying to state that there is no "perfect" and the wrong thing was being focused on. I think there are too many kids that need love and I wish they could all have loving homes.

Now that everyone thinks I am a dufuss. ROFL I should come up with a new name so I can be anonymous again.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Hartz75 said:
Now that everyone thinks I am a dufuss. ROFL I should come up with a new name so I can be anonymous again.

nah!!! I admire that you came out and explained youself. Who among us hasn't posted something that as the written word came off completely differently than was intended.

the only thing you guilty of or judged for is being human...{{hugs}}

www777

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2010
There is so much love in the world and so much abuse and Jordy if you can save two little girls from abuse with your love then no one can ever tell you that you are not allowed to because you don't fit into the perfect family model.

Most children need both sides the genders ie the softness and cherishing and the ruggedness and practicality. If you as two men can provide the balance then why even have this debate?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hartz75 said:
Don't do that!! :) lol I was only joking around, I could tell you just worded the sentence badly haha. We like you!

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
Hartz75 said:

don't do that... i new that you didn't mean it the way you wrote it LOL :p

cardboardcorn

Banned
Aug 5, 2010
Gays should be able to adopt just like any other person. This shouldn't even be considered in the process when there are horrible heterosexual parents adopting kids all of the time anyway. It should come down to responsibility.

Angelsoft

Aug 13, 2010
Oregon
I'm very strongly for gay rights, so of course I'm going to say yes. There's NO scientific proof that children raised with gay/lesbian parents will have emotional or mental problems. In fact, at least one study has shown those children to be more well adjusted than children from opposite sex parents. I can probably find the study if anyone wants a cite.

And really, there are SO many children in this country (USA) that are in need of a loving family, why deny them that just because it's not a 'traditional' family?

Edit: I post this and see the PennQuaker09 already posted the article! :)

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
i dont know man. conflicted views here. i think that they should be able to have kids but they have to educate them well on societal norms, expectations etc. its a tricky situation raisin kids in same sex marriage. there should be parenting courses or some shit.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
superman said:
there should be parenting courses or some shit.
I personally think everyone should take parenting courses before having children...gay, straight, black, white, male, female, whatever...we all can benefit from more knowledge.

steppinthrax

May 17, 2010
Jordy said:
okay, i am not intending for this to get TOO heated (obviously) but it is something i am interested in... what is your position on gay parenting? i live in Western Australia which (i believe) is the only state which completely allows gay people the same adoption rights as straight people.. all states allow it to some degree but more in the way of one parent has a child from a previous relationship and the other person in the relationship adopts them so as to be able to make medical decisions ETC..

so do you think Gay/Lesbian people should be able to adopt children/have children through surrogacy/ through IVF... and of course why and why not?
Is there any research that shows children of gay parents are likely to grow up or "become" gay themselves???? I don't feel there is any problem here.

bikermomma78

Aug 21, 2010
SEMN
What you do in the bedroom or who you love shouldn't affect who you are outside but it does. Whether you want it to or not. It may make you more tolerant of something or less tolerant.

But it doesn't affect your ability to love and care for a child. To raise them to respect the world and wonders in it. You can still teach a child to tie a shoe. Get good grades. Plant a garden. Anything.

Rhea

Sep 13, 2010
I prefer the fairer sex myself, and while I have no intention of becoming a parent (I was just sort of 'promoted' to one when my mother had another child when I became a legal adult!) I know that a lot of other gay/bi people desperately want children.

I think that if there were any problem to gay adoption, it would not be from the couple. At the very least, there'd be no more problems than what a straight couple would have. A gay couple can easily be more responsible than a straight one.

The problem would, ironically, come from straight people. Specifically, from other kids (and parents!) teasing the adopted child about having two mommies/daddies. It's still a new concept, so it's considered 'weird.' Even if the relationship is perfectly sound. This, rather than having two parents of the same gender, is what could harm the child. That kind of teasing. The taunting from children would be easy to see. Adults would snicker, point, and talk amongst themselves, creating paranoia.

I know the people who oppose gay adoption do so with good intentions. I know they're all concerned with the well being of the child. But I think a lot of misinformation gets spread on the opposing side. "We" tend to get portrayed as a bunch of promiscuous heathens that would ultimately corrupt a child. But I don't think I've ever seen a gay couple act any worse than a straight couple.

I support it, and not just because I'm relevant to it (again, I don't want children myself). It's a shame desperate kids are missing out on perfectly good homes and being cycled through the already overcrowded system.

But realistically, it may be more prudent and responsible to wait until gay marriage (or at least civil unions) become the norm before allowing gay adoptions. Just so people will get used to the idea, and the teasing element may be significantly lessened. For example, gay people get picked on a lot less in general now than they did back in the day, and that's mostly attributed to people getting used to it.

mindyabbruzzi

Banned
Sep 20, 2010
Gender is defined by culture, it is not scientific. I believe that a gay couple can have a gender system within their relationship capable of raising a child very well.

mclmike

Sep 28, 2010
gay parents also have the ability to provide the warmth the kids need from their biological parents. so y not?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Well, being in the entertainment industry, I have met lots of gay people.....some I really like....and others I just dispise...the "recruiters" are the ones I cut loose....and trust me, there are tons who think you should "try it"....

That being said, I have no problem with marriage....all the power to ya.

Raising kids....well, imposible to do on your own, so imposible to be biological to both parents....but adoption...why not?

If you can prove to be good loving parents, go for it....better than !) the child living a life in orphanage, or foster home and getting passed around like a doobie, then booted out one day.

And 2), I'd much rather see 2 hardworking, loving gay parents...than 2 heroin/crack addicted bio parents right?

Star Blue

Banned
Sep 28, 2010
Children need a loving family as long as the parents love their child it should not matter if they are straight or gay