Gun control....

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
singledad said:
Ok, it seems I am unable to stay out.
:rolleyes: I know right. I seem to do that all the time. "I'm done with this or that thread." then I just cant stay away.

I think we criticize our own country a fair amount ourselves. It just has a different kind feel when it come from a different nationality. Even though we criticize : We still love our country. Its kinda like I can make fun of my mom. But you had better not make fun of my mom kinda deal.

I think it is unfair of me to think when you criticize the US you take issue with the country as a whole and not just the specific topic we are talking about at the time.

It did get the me up a little when the implication that this was a American issue and that it was potentially infecting the rest of the world. Because the fact is An easy target is an easy target anywhere: and has been since the beginning of time. A high value target is a high value target anywhere and has been since the beginning of time. A person does not need to be a history scholar to know these type of atrocities have been around for a very long time and have at one point or another effected the entire globe.

I think most gun rights people understand the high capacity magazine is a want not a need. I think the fight is because they feel if they concede a point or give up some ground. That the anti gun rights people will exploit that toehold taking away more and more. In fact based off a casual poll I have done with my peers. If we thought it would shut everyone up. We dont really care that much about the high capacity clips or for that matter assault rifles. The issue really is that we are pretty sure that wont satisfy the gun control people. And that once they develop momentum we will continue to loss ground to the point guns are illegal.

I personally dont think the clip size amounts to a hill of beans. I feel the same way about the assault rifles.

Last edited:

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
bssage said:
I personally dont think the clip size amounts to a hill of beans. I feel the same way about the assault rifles.

If only everyone felt this way! My 2 love carrying buddies freaked out over this one the other night. Preaching to the mountains the need for it. :wideeyed:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Are they just really bad shots??

And the assault rifles are fun to shoot. Not unnecessary but fun.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
akmom said:
Apparently no one here watches <I>The Walking Dead</I>. :)
I was staying out of this thread. I LOVE The Walking Dead. When the zombies come we are more then prepared. Of course if my dreams are right my children will turn into zombies and try eating me....couldn't kill them though :p

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Pfft, shooting zombies.

Have none of you played the video game Lollipop Chainsaw?

What we really need to defend ourselves against zombies is scantily clad girls with oversized chainsaws.

Or plants that shoot things and explode, paired with lots of sunlight.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mom2all said:
Singledad.. I think your question of why people can dismiss the problem with that it doesn't happen that often, because its not directly affected them.
Yes. Which is why I tried to make it more personal. Guess I should know better by now. The average person simply doesn't care about the suffering of other people unless they know them personally...

Mom2all said:
I am on the fence on how much we should do with the gun control.
I get that. I was hoping we'd be able to have a good debate about that - about how much control is needed and what other possible options there are to address the issue of gun crime. It appears, though, that the real challenge was convincing people that there actually is a problem. IDK, but if I was living in a first-world country, but when it came to gun-crimes my country ranked way up among third-world countries with serious socioeconomic problems, orders of magnitude above other first-world countries, I'd be worried and screaming for a solution to be found. And writing to my local representative whenever I thought of something that could help... I wouldn't be shooting down possible solutions without considering them, simply because I'm scared that I'd loose all my human rights. Don't you get to vote on things like that? Couldn't you stop it in a court if they went to far? Are you really that helpless? (That's a genuine question - do the citizens of the US. not have some sort of recourse if the government did something that was unconstitutional? Cause we can take the government to court, and have done so successfully on several occasions... )

Mom2all said:
And SDad.. you shouldn't take it personally that anyone from this country gets defensive. Here, the right to bear arms creates a lot of hostility. Even among friends. I have a 2 coworkers tell me that I had no understanding of guns or the right to carry them 3 nights ago. I believe their exact words were "because it didn't effect me, I had no right to an opinion".
You're right. This is what got my back up:

NancyM said:
there are a few people including youself who have 'dared' to say plenty derogatory statements about America.. it happens all the time here.
<U>And truthfully, I think we've been pretty darn nice about it so far.</U>
I never insulted anyone or said anything that I consider derogatory, and yet I am told that I should be grateful my opinions have been "tolerated" thus far... as if anyone here has a right to dictate to me what my opinions should or shouldn't be...

I don't appreciate being treated like a second-rate member or a guest.

bssage said:
I think it is unfair of me to think when you criticize the US you take issue with the country as a whole and not just the specific topic we are talking about at the time.
Absolutely. I get that you love your country - I love mine too, but I'm not blind to my country's issues. I can serve my country a lot better by facing the issues and trying to be part of the solution, rather than by defending it on the Internet...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Don't assume that post you quoted represents everyone on the board. Criticism of government is important. And Americans generally regard free speech as even more important than gun rights.

I guess I'm looking at it as a policy debate. The affirmative side (the one proposing a change from status quo) has 6-7 criteria they have to meet to "win" in a formal debate. The negative side (supporting the status quo and/or a counterplan) has far less of a burden. So when I hear a proposal, such as gun control on any level that isn't already in existence, I am looking for these criteria to be met. That's just my train of thought from my college days, and I sometimes forget that others have different backgrounds and thus different expectations in a debate.

The two biggies are 1) proving harms, and 2) proving solvency. What I mean is, the affirmative side has to prove there is a real problem that needs solved. Then they have to prove that their plan(s) will solve the problem, in a significant way. To assert there's a problem and then throw out weak, unsupported solutions doesn't cut it for me. That's just my experience in formal debating, and so that's my train of thought. It isn't meant to be cold-hearted, or closed-minded. It's just a standard that I have for debates. Anything less is just brainstorming to me. And that's fine too. That's the inital stage in developing solutions. But then again, that's not the stage at which I consider an idea ready for action. That's the stage at which it's ready for criticism.

I guess it just bothers me when people treat these initial, knee-jerk ideas as some kind of viable legislation and push for it. As if doing something is better than doing nothing. That is definitely not always true. It is very possible to make things worse. The affirmative side has the burden of proof that harms exist in the status quo, that their solution will be effective and meaningful, and also that it will not do more harm than good. When people bring in emotional pleas, by labeling any opposition as uncaring, it's impossible to quantify that sentiment. It doesn't fit into the debate criteria. It's essentially not a policy debate any more... it's more of an ethical debate. Lincoln-Douglas style, I guess. But those kinds of debates aren't about promoting legislation.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
My bad. I thought it was just an Internet debate. It's not like we're going to end with a vote that will result in legislation anyway. Call it brainstorming if you want. I really don't care.

And also, it never occurred to me that I'd need to convince anyone that there is a problem - that gun crime is too high and that too many guns are in the hands of the wrong people. I thought the stats proved that. If the stats can't convince you, well, then I won't be able to either, since I can only quote the stats.

So not much of a "debate" then, I guess...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Sincere "brainstorming" doesn't usually come with repeated insistence on action and insults at anyone who isn't convinced. That's just substituting passion for reason in a debate. I don't see a reason to make an "Internet debate" sloppier than any other venue, none of which results in law unless it occurs in a legislature.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ok, whatever. Pity I never got a chance to be on my high school's debate team, then I would also have know these "rules". :rolleyes:

If you have anything to add on gun control, please do so, because otherwise we are going down a dead-end street. If you think you'll get me to apologize, you're wrong. I stand by what I said and I don't care if its against your rules for internet debates. This isn't the high school debating society, and neither is it parliament. It's the internet. If I've broken any of the forum rules, I'm sure I would have been called out by a mod. If I was rude, well that would be against the rules and I would still have been called out. So get over your "debating rules" and add something if you want to, or walk away. I don't need this endless argument about why I wasn't allowed to say what I did. I said what I thought and I still think it.

And I'll say it again.

Deal with it.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Nah, I didn't suggest anything was against forum rules. Just unconvincing. I'm used to people making some attempt to prove their "plan" will work, rather than saying, "Things suck, so let's do this or that and hope it does more good than harm."

If you're unable to do that, it's fine with me. It's not a new idea, and this thread failed to make it any more compelling.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I've been away from this thread a hot minute and look at all I've missed. So I re-read it. :p

First off.. I think some of the heated moments can can from misinterpretation. For instance.. when SingleDad said we should "discriminate".. of course some thought in terms of peoples rights based on a group of people as a whole... however.. to discriminate can mean.. "to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately"

I also think its wise to point out that unless "you've walked a mile in my shoes" its hard to understand the heated emotions. If your only seeing it from the side of "I have right to bear arms" its hard to gasp what someone's right can do to everyone else's right to live free without fear. I understand that fear. And though I'm not saying I have the fix all solution to our problem, turning a blind eye to it doesn't help.

SingleDad was controlled by someone with a gun who shouldn't have owned one. My life, my children's life, and my Mothers was threatened by someone with the right to own a gun. The same one that eventually killed her. Do you think that our passion for change in that area might be a little stronger than those whom have never felt that fear?

There are laws in effect to help control that here.. but they do not always work. They didn't help with Mom. And to boot.. he never served a day in prison for killing her. You see.. we have all kinds of issues here. 12 people got to decide based on evidence that someone saw fit to allow or not allow in court. The accused have more rights than the prosecution and they set him free... and returned his guns. WHILE having said on stand that he was taking medications for mental issues... there wasn't a law in place to keep his weapons from him. SO he walked.. and until he died in his own bed.. I kept my guns.. knowing he had his. I was scared. His rights trumped mine.

No.. I don't know what to do to fix things. BUT.. I do know that something needs to happen. And unless you walked on the other side you can not fully understand why anything is better than nothing.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Mom2all, I can't even begin to imagine going through those kinds of horrors, and then having the judicial system fail you like that. That is definitely not acceptable, not what I believe anyone condones as part of the right to bear arms. Criminals shouldn't own guns. Especially not violent criminals.

Where I live, repeated threats to kill or injure someone is third-degree assault (a class C felony), so your mother's killer wouldn't have qualified to own a gun here. That is assuming that existing laws were enforced.

It seems to me that most of the negative experiences on this thread involved domestic violence. Many of fire-arm related deaths in the United States involve gang activity, drug involvement, robberies, gun accidents, and also suicides (63%). I couldn't find a breakdown showing how many deaths are attributed to each of these categories. But I did find that mass murders accounted for less than 1% of gun deaths in the U.S. What this tells me is that focusing on mass murders is not going to address the majority of gun crime here. So I think we need to specify what we are solving for: mass murders or gun crimes in general? Because it appears these are two separate problems with different solutions.

For example, if we want to address domestic violence, and all the gun fatalities it precipitates, then we have to better identify when it happens, and then actually follow through with getting people convicted so that existing laws can be enforced to de-arm them. That probably requires investing in resources for DV victims (safe harbor, following through with charges and prosecution for offenders, counseling for financial independence and battered woman syndrome). If we want to solve for accidents, then we could improve or even mandate access to gun safes and gun safety training. That wouldn't infringe on anyone's rights.

I don't think that applying restrictions to everyone (rather than just criminals) would reduce gun crimes, because the number of guns used in self-defense (estimated between 65,000 and 2.5 million) exceeds the number of people killed in mass murders. That does not even factor in any deterrent value.

I guess I take just take issue with laws that would infringe on my right to have a gun - which I feel that I need, and have needed for defense (though not against humans) - because someone else is a criminal or irresponsible. What really scared me were the suggestions to comb through a person's medical records or search their home at any time. I should be able to protect myself against a vicious dog or wild animal - or even to go hunting - without forfeiting basic privacy. But I do think that a case has been made that many people who own guns shouldn't have them. Because they are already criminals, and we are failing to enforce existing laws that would de-arm them. If anything, maybe this shows that we are not taking it seriously enough.

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="singledad;139409"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
singledad said:
&lt;/s&gt;Ok, Ok, it seems I am unable to stay out.&lt;br/&gt;
First - calm down, for goodness sake! Cebele is exactly right. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I have NEVER and will never criticise America for taking terrorism seriously.&lt;br/&gt;
I have NEVER and will never criticise America for trying their best to keep their citizens safe against terrorist attacks.&lt;br/&gt;
I disagree with SOME of the steps they have taken to do so, and it is my OPINION that these has been SOME occasions where they've used it to justify things that really has little to do with fighting terrorism,&lt;QUOTE&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="red"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;That’s fine, but when your vague like this I might think the steps your talking about is the capture of Saddam Hussein (and I can not debate this at all) when President Bush claimed he had ‘Hidden Weapons of Mass Destruction” and used that as an excuse to blow up his country, I would partly agree with you , or when you say ‘steps’ do you mean our gun control policy in general …stinks?? Do you see how a vague statement can get completely misconstrued? &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="red"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="singledad;139409"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
singledad said:
&lt;/s&gt;but surely I am as entitled to my opinion, and to voicing my opinion, as anyone else? I don't believe that anything I said was ever derogatory. Unless you see disagreeing with someone as derogatory. If there is a rule on this forum that people are never allowed to criticise America, it should be added to the rules, and the name should be changed to "American Parenting Forums". I was under the impression that this is an International site where everyone is welcome, and no one is an outsider. If non-Americans aren't welcome, or are required to conduct themselves like guests towards the American members, please make that clear, so that us "outsiders" can excuse ourselves and leave you to it.&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
when SingleDad said we should "discriminate".. of course some thought in terms of peoples rights based on a group of people as a whole... however.. to discriminate can mean.. "to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately" [/QUOTE]
Exactly. Discrimination has a broader definition than just acting on prejudice.

No.. I don't know what to do to fix things. BUT.. I do know that something needs to happen. And unless you walked on the other side you can not fully understand why anything is better than nothing. [/QUOTE]
Exactly.

akmom said:
Where I live, repeated threats to kill or injure someone is third-degree assault (a class C felony), so your mother's killer wouldn't have qualified to own a gun here. That is assuming that existing laws were enforced.
What you say makes sense, but there are two problems -
1. The vast majority of domestic violence cases either never get reported, or are withdrawn as quickly as they are reported. And of the few that does actually reach a court room, only a small percentage is convicted. That is the grip in which these offenders hold the victims.
2. By the time he is prosecuted, it is too late. The damage has been done.

Yes, repeated threats to kill someone is a crime here, too. As is child abuse. As is pointing a gun (at anyone) except in self defense. But AKAIK, mom2all's mom never reported it. Battered women vary rarely do. I didn't report my foster father either, because by then experience had taught me that no one would take the word of a troubled teenager over that of an approved foster parent. And in that sense, I wasn't an exception either. So both of us were stuck. Unlike mom2all's mom, I survived. But the price for my survival has been very, very high.

akmom said:
So I think we need to specify what we are solving for: mass murders or gun crimes in general? Because it appears these are two separate problems with different solutions.
I would say both. I think one is a function of the other, and neither can be solved with a single solution. Both are functions of intrinsic problems in society. Both are functions of a flawed law-enforcement system, a flawed welfare system, and a society that in many way, is sick to its core. "Solving" these problems will not happen over night. I think what both mom2all and I are advocating is steps that can make small differences quickly, in order to buy us time while we look for ways to address the root cause.

Perhaps gun-control is not the solution. Perhaps there are other, better solutions. But we can't find them unless we have a conversation about it. These things need to be talked about. We need to stop fighting each other and unite in an effort to solve a problem. You are not required to agree with me, but both sides need to look at the other side's suggestions with an open mind. Perhaps there is a way we can reconcile the two and find a best-of-both-worlds solution. But we'll never get there unless we are willing to listen to each other with open minds.

akmom said:
For example, if we want to address domestic violence, and all the gun fatalities it precipitates, then we have to better identify when it happens, and then actually follow through with getting people convicted so that existing laws can be enforced to de-arm them. That probably requires investing in resources for DV victims (safe harbor, following through with charges and prosecution for offenders, counseling for financial independence and battered woman syndrome). If we want to solve for accidents, then we could improve or even mandate access to gun safes and gun safety training. That wouldn't infringe on anyone's rights.
Both those solutions would certainly go a long way towards solving some parts of the problem. You will recall that mandatory gun safes is one point that I've advocated from the start - not only to prevent accidents, but also to keep legal guns from ending up on the black market and in criminal hands.

akmom said:
I guess I take just take issue with laws that would infringe on my right to have a gun - which I feel that I need, and have needed for defense (though not against humans) - because someone else is a criminal or irresponsible. What really scared me were the suggestions to comb through a person's medical records or search their home at any time.
I don't think anyone said it should be allowed to be done "at any time". I believe it should form part of the approval process - ie, it happens once, before you are approved. Doing that would have saved both mom2all's mom and me. If you are a stable, responsible person, you needn't be afraid of such an inquiry. I do, however, understand that such a process is open to abuse and should be monitored and policed VERY closely. There needs to be clear guidelines on when a person is considered unstable and when not, and who gets to make that decision, under which circumstance. It cannot, and should never come down to a tick-box on a form stating simply that a person has been in treatment for mental illness, and that is it.

akmom said:
But I do think that a case has been made that many people who own guns shouldn't have them. Because they are already criminals, and we are failing to enforce existing laws that would de-arm them. If anything, maybe this shows that we are not taking it seriously enough.
That is definitely part of the problem. But fixing that will also require a change in legislation, but ever more so, a huge change in attitude for the average man on the street.

How can you expect more abused women to report their abusive husbands, when 70% of women who are killed by their husbands, are killed when they attempt to leave? How can you expect children to report abuse when history has proved that no one will believe them, and while there are actually US states where physical injuries are required for something to be classified as abuse? How do you prove that someone threatened you? How do you prove that a gun was pointed? How do you report someone when you know the chances of conviction are tiny and that when your suit fails, that person will be out and free, and ready to take revenge?

You can't.

That is the problem.

And to make matters worse, when the person who has threatened you walks out of that court room, he will be given back his guns, like mom2all's mother's murderer, because he isn't a criminal in the eyes of the law.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="NancyM;139477"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;That’s fine, but when your vague like this I might think the steps your talking about is the capture of Saddam Hussein (and I can not debate this at all) when President Bush claimed he had ‘Hidden Weapons of Mass Destruction” and used that as an excuse to blow up his country, I would partly agree with you , or when you say ‘steps’ do you mean our gun control policy in general …stinks?? Do you see how a vague statement can get completely misconstrued? &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/QUOTE]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
I didn't think the specific steps are relevant to this debate. I chose not to clarify them because I don't have the energy or the inclination to defend my reasons for each and every "step" I disagree with. I challenged the assumption that all America's acts of aggression towards other countries were attempts to defend democracy, in response the statement someone else posted. Lets leave it there, since it is off-topic for this thread. Feel free to start another threat on it, and if I feel like I have the energy, I might respond. Right now, I'm too tired and too tired of fighting to continue to discuss this point. Why does my opinion matter so much anyway? It's not like I can influence what the American government does in any way...&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="singledad;139409"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;C’on stop! no one ever said that!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt; &lt;e&gt;[/QUOTE]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
No, you just pointed out that I'm lucky that you've been "nice" about my opinions this far. As if you didn't have to tolerate them if you didn't want to. And it isn't the first time non-Americans have been lambasted for daring to criticise something about America.&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="NancyM;139409"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I don’t know where you got the idea that America doesn’t take the act of mass murder as seriously as terrorism, of course we do. However, although they both are senseless acts of killing innocent people, there is a difference between the two, I wouldn’t want my government to look at every incident of multiply murders exactly the same. There are reasons for this, way to complicated to explain in a few paragraphs on a message board. It’s NOT simple as I said before, but these two killings shouldn’t necessarily be bunched into the same crime. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;
&lt;e&gt;[/QUOTE]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
I'm too tired to look for it now, but it was dismissed multiple times on this very threat, as being something that is rare and doesn't justify an immediate and strong response. IMO that response is both irresponsible and very insensitive towards to survivors and families.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Of course mass murder and terrorism shouldn't be treated exactly the same. They should just be treated with equal urgency. And that will only happen if the citizens to put the same kind of pressure on the authorities.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
From you response, it is easy to see that terrorism is an emotion subject for you, and that any suggestion that it isn't serious and doesn't require a strong response, upsets you - even angers you. That is completely understandable. My question was simply why no one other than me, someone from the other side of the planet, was offended by the dismissive statements made about Sandy Hook? &lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="NancyM[COLOR=red"&gt;&lt;s&gt;[QUOTE=NancyM[COLOR=red]&lt;/s&gt;]I’m not sure what you mean about your last sentence. Are you saying that I’m not a pro-active person?? Or are you just being vague again, You need to say what you mean. [/COLOR]&lt;e&gt;[/QUOTE]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
Prosecuting people for crimes that have already been committed does little or nothing to prevent crime, especially when said crime is committed by someone who intends to end it with suicide, or by someone who is mentally ill and thus unable to consider the consequences of his crime. What is needed is preventative steps. Most suggestions made on this thread by anyone opposed to gun control, had to do with prosecution. Prosecution, by its very nature, is reactive. Pro-active suggestions such as stricter vetting of gun owners and stricter regulations for storing guns, have been shot down. Does that make it clearer?&lt;/r&gt;

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I can agree with some of those positions, but not all. There are failures in the justice system, and I'm not convinced that gun control will solve that problem. An abuser will not stop their behavior just because they don't possess a firearm.

Someone on this thread did suggest random inspections on registered gun owners, maybe it wasn't you. I'm not even comfortable with an initial inspection. If my neighbors keep vicious dogs and let them roam the neighborhood, so that I feel I have to be armed to walk my daughter to the bus stop, then why should I have to go through some kind of rigorous vetting? If I have neighbors who don't take out their trash and we start having bear problems, or if tourists food-condition the bears and they become dangerous, or if I just happen to live next to some good berry patches... I may need a gun. I don't think I should have to go through some invasive process to own one. I'm not a criminal. If I was, then I kind of lost that privilege of being able to go for a morning run, or take my kids for a walk, and not worry about animal attacks. But I'm not, so I should be able to do what rural Alaskans have done for centuries, without tolerating government intrusion simply because some other area experienced an outrageous tragedy.

and a society that in many way, is sick to its core.
What exactly do you mean? I live in a great community. If I get stuck, I can count on a passing motorist to help me out. If someone gets a serious illness, they can count on most of the community showing up for a fund-raiser to help them out. If someone falls on hard times, they can show up to any school or church with a list of needed items and sizes (anonymously), and count on having those items donated very quickly. We look after each other. I would not call my community "sick to the core," and I wouldn't even call our nation that.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
I should be able to do what rural Alaskans have done for centuries, without tolerating government intrusion simply because some other area experienced an outrageous tragedy.
You certainly make a good case for having the level of control decided at State-level.

I sometimes wish our "provinces" had the kind of powers that your states have...

akmom said:
What exactly do you mean? I live in a great community.
I live in a great community too. I have wonderful neighbours who would never hesitate to lend a helping hand.

But both our communities form part of a society where battered women are called stupid for not putting their lives in danger by leaving. Where under-age boys are accused of seducing priests. Where rape victims are accused of causing their own rapes by getting drunk or wearing short skirts. Where mentally ill people are considered evil, instead of sick. Where criminals often have more rights than victims. Where abusive fathers can accuse mothers who are trying to protect their children of "parental alienation" and get custody reversed. Where battered women aren't allowed to use the abuse they suffered in the past as evidence in court, either to convict their abuser or to justify defending themselves. Where the statute of limitations on child abuse expires before the average child is ready to disclose the abuse. Where pedophile teachers and preachers and scout leaders and sports couches are shielded and protected while their victims are thrown to the wolves. Where victims won't be protected unless they can prove an unprovable threat. How much longer do you want me to go on? Cause I can go on all day...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
singledad said:
I didn't think the specific steps are relevant to this debate. I chose not to clarify them because I don't have the energy or the inclination to defend my reasons for each and every "step" I disagree with. I challenged the assumption that all America's acts of aggression towards other countries were attempts to defend democracy, in response the statement someone else posted. Lets leave it there, since it is off-topic for this thread. Feel free to start another threat on it, and if I feel like I have the energy, I might respond. Right now, I'm too tired and too tired of fighting to continue to discuss this point. Why does my opinion matter so much anyway? It's not like I can influence what the American government does in any way...

No, you just pointed out that I'm lucky that you've been "nice" about my opinions this far. As if you didn't have to tolerate them if you didn't want to. And it isn't the first time non-Americans have been lambasted for daring to criticise something about America.

I'm too tired to look for it now, but it was dismissed multiple times on this very threat, as being something that is rare and doesn't justify an immediate and strong response. IMO that response is both irresponsible and very insensitive towards to survivors and families.

Of course mass murder and terrorism shouldn't be treated exactly the same. They should just be treated with equal urgency. And that will only happen if the citizens to put the same kind of pressure on the authorities.

From you response, it is easy to see that terrorism is an emotion subject for you, and that any suggestion that it isn't serious and doesn't require a strong response, upsets you - even angers you. That is completely understandable. My question was simply why no one other than me, someone from the other side of the planet, was offended by the dismissive statements made about Sandy Hook?

Prosecuting people for crimes that have already been committed does little or nothing to prevent crime, especially when said crime is committed by someone who intends to end it with suicide, or by someone who is mentally ill and thus unable to consider the consequences of his crime. What is needed is preventative steps. Most suggestions made on this thread by anyone opposed to gun control, had to do with prosecution. Prosecution, by its very nature, is reactive. Pro-active suggestions such as stricter vetting of gun owners and stricter regulations for storing guns, have been shot down. Does that make it clearer?
SingleDad,

I'm not sure if it's just a language barrier between us, or if you are feeling attacked by us ladies who are disagreeing with you, I have tried but I simply can't think of any other way to break down what my thoughts and opinions are about America's gun control laws and constitutional rights.

You seem to be misunderstanding almost everything I said, it could be that my posts are long and you don't read through them all. :confused: if you did you would see that I agreed many times with you.

I never said you aren't entitled to an opinion. EVER. Yet you keep going back to that. Is it even possible that YOU MISUNDERSTOOD?

I know your an intelligent man, and generally agree with most of your opinions but somehow your not grasping what I'm trying to convey. Personally, I was originally talking about our government laws, and why Americans protect our gun control rights so strongly, because somewhere along the thread someone asked why we do that even though we know guns in the wrong hands will kill innocent people.

I need a break, I too don't have the time to justify al my opinions.
Why does your opinion even count? Because it's in response to my post. This is a debate post. Not a personal attack post.

Have a wonderful day.