halloween costumes?...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
cybele said:
Only buttcracks I've seen recently have belonged to plumbers.

High waisted seems to be what's popular here. Much nicer look. I like a nice high waisted pair of pants on my 18yr old, wish I was able to pull them off the way she does.
Maybe there but high waisted jeans have not made a come back here and won't in my house.
I wear low rise jeans and love them..

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
cybele said:
Only buttcracks I've seen recently have belonged to plumbers.

High waisted seems to be what's popular here. Much nicer look. I like a nice high waisted pair of pants on my 18yr old, wish I was able to pull them off the way she does.
Geez I wish! Seems all the girls around here wear pants that show of their buttcracks, from the top AND bottom ends of their pants.

I hate to ask because I think I don't want to know the answer, but what exactly is a "banana hammock"?

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Cybele.. How fortunate we are that the styles are changing again!

Neway.. I take great pleasure in introducing you to the banana hammock.... this gentleman here apparently had no one tell him that it was not a good look for him! :D

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Neway said:
Geez I wish! Seems all the girls around here wear pants that show of their buttcracks, from the top AND bottom ends of their pants.

I hate to ask because I think I don't want to know the answer, but what exactly is a "banana hammock"?
I hate looking so young, I often get mistaken for a 15/16 year old, I have a super young face and I'm pretty small height and weight.

Most parents wouldn't let their 15 year old out in just leggings and a semi long shirt that only covered some of the back end, I bet more parents than not wider why my mom let me leave the house. Cept I'm not 15 and don't even live with her.

I've been doing to legging look quite often since I only have two pairs of jeans, my great grandmother is going to die when she sees my new style once we move.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Neway said:

One of the positives of living in Melbourne, all the girls think they're models from Europe :D

Usually works out in our favour, not so much on 40+ degree days like yesterday where the high waisted shorts of choice exposed the bottom of one's buttcheeks.

But also I am lucky though to have a bunch of teen/preteen girls who openly question why anyone thinks that showing a part of the body (being your buttcrack) that is solely for the purpose of defecation can be sexy.

Because when I think sexy, I am not thinking about someone sitting on the toilet.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
cybele said:
One of the positives of living in Melbourne, all the girls think they're models from Europe :D

Usually works out in our favour, not so much on 40+ degree days like yesterday where the high waisted shorts of choice exposed the bottom of one's buttcheeks.

But also I am lucky though to have a bunch of teen/preteen girls who openly question why anyone thinks that showing a part of the body (being your buttcrack) that is solely for the purpose of defecation can be sexy.

Because when I think sexy, I am not thinking about someone sitting on the toilet.
It's not done to be sexy....
It just happens because low rise jeans look better than high rise grandma jeans.
Since they are so low crack just shows sometimes.

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
Mom2all said:
Neway.. I take great pleasure in introducing you to the banana hammock.... this gentleman here apparently had no one tell him that it was not a good look for him! :D
Ahhh, otherwise known as a Mankini.....know I know what you're talking about lol. Sacha Baron Cohen has a lot to answer for.......

Cop2be said:
Most parents wouldn't let their 15 year old out in just leggings and a semi long shirt that only covered some of the back end
Leggings might be tight, but they cover everything up! I'd much prefer to see girls getting around in them than skanky little cut-off lo-rise demin shorts that barely cover their vagina! In actual fact, leggings with shirts/jumpers were pretty much what everyone wore when I was in my late teens/early 20's.

cybele said:
Gotta love summer!

cybele said:
Lucky you ;) Wish my 17yo girl was like that.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
I remember one time getting stuff from hollister and my great grandmother refused to go into the store saying something about the devil and hell and she sat outside of the store frowning.

I was like 15 or so, my grandmother however went in with me and enjoyed it.

I figure lots of shopping will be done when we get there cause I need clothes and my grandmother loves shopping.

Summers in Tennessee are brutal, the humidity does you in big time. The less clothing the better there.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ugh, yeah - a butt-crack is about as sexy as camel-toe.

A few years ago there was also a trend of girls letting their g-strings show above their jean. To me, that fits into the same category as letting your butt-cheeks hang out of your shorts - If your going to do around dressed like a low-class hooker, don't be surprised/offended when men treat you that way ;)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I remember that one. Thank goodness that has passed, it was bad enough with a new, "nice" looking g-string but the number of frayed, elastic seam-coming-apart-from-fabric ones I saw. Oh and sweat mark ones in summer. Ick.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
We have such cute pants where I work, even though its a tween little girls store but I can't bring myself to ever buy a pair because they are cut so high, once girls hit 12 or so they stop buying jeans there cause try are so high.

But clothing is just a social thing. More clothes = less of a skank because society deems it that way. Just look at African tribes, ding a lings and hoohahs popping out is probably an every day occurrence but no one thinks twice about it being sexual because they don't view it that way.

Stupid Puritan settlers with their conservatism founded this country and sex being shameful and conservatism...

Our bodies should be nothing to hide and covered in yards after yards of fabric...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I tend to find phrases such as "dingaling" and "hooha" a little more conservative and oppressive than clothing cut certain ways...

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
Cop2be said:
But clothing is just a social thing. More clothes = less of a skank because society deems it that way.

Stupid Puritan settlers with their conservatism founded this country and sex being shameful and conservatism...

Our bodies should be nothing to hide and covered in yards after yards of fabric...
No, not at all, you could be wearing jeans and a jumper and still look like a skank. There is a difference between being sexy and being skanky. Same as there is a difference between being classy and being crass. Having your buttcrack showing is neither classy nor sexy. Wearing shirts that are cut that low that if you bend over your breasts fall out is neither classy nor sexy.

Funnily enough, I live in a country that was <I>not</I> founded by Puritans......

I think that you should just be glad that you live in a country where a woman has the right and the freedom to decide how she wants to dress for herself.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Neway said:
No, not at all, you could be wearing jeans and a jumper and still look like a skank. There is a difference between being sexy and being skanky. Same as there is a difference between being classy and being crass. Having your buttcrack showing is neither classy nor sexy. Wearing shirts that are cut that low that if you bend over your breasts fall out is neither classy nor sexy.

Funnily enough, I live in a country that was <I>not</I> founded by Puritans......

I think that you should just be glad that you live in a country where a woman has the right and the freedom to decide how she wants to dress for herself.
No it's not classy nor sexy but it happens...

I have a shorter torso and longer legs for my height, if I didn't wear low rise my jeans would easily go above my belly button and one wrong move and I'd be needing stitches when my pants ripped my belly button piercing out. Plus I can't stand the few of jeans too high, drives me bonkers.
I wear a belt and try to limit it happening.

Luckily and sadly that is the only issue I have on a rare occasion....it's only sad cause I lost so much weight and went from a C to I think an A, A's fit a bit snug but better than the B cup bras I have. My boobs wouldn't fall out of my shirt if I shoved them. &gt;.&lt; #firstworldproblemsyall

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
singledad said:
Ugh, yeah - a butt-crack is about as sexy as camel-toe.

A few years ago there was also a trend of girls letting their g-strings show above their jean. To me, that fits into the same category as letting your butt-cheeks hang out of your shorts - If your going to do around dressed like a low-class hooker, don't be surprised/offended when men treat you that way ;)
Camel-toe.........:biglaugh: Coffee shot out my nose when I read this! Somewhere on this forum I posted a list of the "Woman Rules" that I taught my daughters. Avoiding the camel-toe was on there!

It's funny how most of the younger generation believe that the more you show the sexier it is. I was once a young women.. 5'4 118 pounds with hair to my butt and if I don't say so myself, not hard on the eyes. I had more men eye-balling me when I wore a long skirt with a slit in it than when I wore the mini skirts. Sexy.. is the way you carry yourself. Its in your walk or the way you speak. Its about being your own person and not just another trend. Oh.. if we could all just skip the awkward teenage years where we struggle to figure that out, how much nicer would it be on young girls self esteem and every else's ones eyes. :p

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Cop2be said:
You can skip those years by helping form their outlooks in the formative years.
Now we're getting interesting.

I think that is a very difficult thing to do, teenage fashion is a very specific area that usually doesn't come up with a young child. Most young kids do just wear whatever their parents put them in, and parents have 100% control over what items are purchased. Once they are teenagers with jobs and their own incomes, that changes.

I think the influence at the beginning of puberty is important. Clothing fads come and go, and there is always going to be a style out there of clothes that are perceived as "tasteless" simply because teens are the ideal market for cheap, mass produced, revealing clothing. Any spendable income they have is low and they suddenly have these brand new bodies and brand new hormones, and they want to be viewed as attractive, yet have not developed enough yet to grasp the difference between attractive and sexy and trashy and revealing.

In the end, I think when you are attracting other teens (most other teens, of course there are exceptions) revealing will win out, because it's the same mindset, hormone-filled boys like seeing butts and bellies and boobs, they're new and exciting and forbidden, hormone-filled girls like seeing cool fad clothing, because it means that their boyfriend is just like -insert random celebrity male of the day here-.

As you get older, as illustrated by members here, you find simpler things attractive, like Mom2all was saying about a side slit, there is something very sexy about a side slit, and as Singledad was saying in a different thread about shoulders and arms. It's just a different perception that many, if not, most, people develop as they are older once they realise that the forbidden, brand new parts really aren't all that interesting and really are all the same. It's like people who appreciate wine, they may have grown up drinking flavoured vodka and cheap goon, but as they grew older they came to appreciate alcohol for it's finer points.

Same reason goes for why many members are saying that if jeans expose your butt crack, they lose all "sexyness" simply because we have been there, done that with our equivalent, respective times and fashions, and and are coming from the privileged perspective of experience. In short, you grow out of it.

I really see it as just a point of maturity. That said, it doesn't mean that it is a necessary stage of development. One does not NEED to go through a stage of self-objectification, nor the objectification of others on order to become a well-rounded individual.

Which brings me back to influence.

Personally, I caught it lucky with Dita, I have in many senses, my first venture into to world of mother lost in a sea of teenage girl clothing was made much easier by not only her personality and who she is, but the influences she had outside of the home which made the clothes one generally perceives as "trashy" less appealing to her. From early on in her teenage years she was involved with LGBT support groups, and having everything on show isn't as popular within the lesbian community as it is amongst a heterosexual community, I suspect due to loss of the forbidden unknown, in her words "Boobs aren't as fascinating and special when you have your own, you already know what they look like and that they don't possess any amazing sexual powers, also, you know that you can't mesmerise someone with your hips, because they have them too".
She also had the benefit of going to an alternative community school where these types of social norms (women being required to be sexy) were heavily questioned, openly spoken about and debated. I got to sit in on one of the staff vs student debates on the topic of how much of modern day fashions are feminist-friendly, or are they still patriarchal. Very fascinating.
From that type of influence stems interests in other things, we have magazine subscriptions to Yen and Frankie in our house, both teenage/young adult magazines with an 'alternative' twist, where there are no articles about how to make boys like you, instead, amongst pages of fashion, there is articles about careers, environmentalism and other current events.

In the end, I skipped the revealing clothing phase from Dita, does it mean that she sits around in frumpy clothing? No, she does dress "sexy" when the situation calls for it last night she went to a bar with some of her friends and she left the house wearing a pair of high waisted skinny leather pants, a satin button up cap sleeved shirt and heels. You could see the silhouette of everything, but you could see nothing. She came home complaining that six different guys seemed to struggle with the idea of her not being interested (which is a whole other issue for another time). On the flip side, we went out for my mother in law's birthday recently, and she wore much less form fitting clothes, because Nan's birthday at a restaurant does not call for having your body on show.

To move to my younger girls, I think that Dita's outlook (and Violet's too, Violet really is much more for "pretty" clothes than anything else, the girl will pick a lace dress over a pair of ripped jeans any day) does have some influence on them, at this point, Sunny in particular, she is venturing into this new world and she is guided into it by two girls who have "been there, done that" who do not have a parental role in her life. For Sunny's 13th birthday Violet took her to Violet's favourite store and offered to buy her a full outfit of her choosing, of course, that outfit was heavily influenced by Violet picking the store and of course, running around it pointing out everything that looks good.

Anyway, I've been rambling for way too long. Hopefully amongst all that ramble I got at least some points across.

Last edited: