Having a crappy life....

Demona_Mommy91

PF Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Vancouver, WA (not in Canada)
So my life feels like its going down hill and I just feel like sharing with you guys just to get some feedback.

So basically, I am a jobless bum living with my parent and trying to go back to school.

I'm trying to go back to school to get my high school diploma and get my cosmetology license so I can do the thing I love to do which is hair dressing. But I also need a job bad.
1.) To support my daughter
2.) To get a place to live
3.) To fix my EXtREMELY overdrawn bank account.

but I can't seem to find a damn job or get my fines from high school paid so I can go back to school.

I'm just feeling like the world is standing against me and just pushing me down on my butt over and over again like a playground bully.

I don't know,
I just need some helpful feed back.

<3
:confused:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Life can be a pile of crap sometimes. :( I feel your pain. What kind of fines are you talking about, dealing with high school? You lost me there. Also, why don't you just get your GED? In this day and age, it is literally just as good as a high school diploma and easier to achieve. I have my hs diploma and DH has his GED and he went to college and I didn't and he has a much better job than I do lol so if that says anything. Or there might be an age limit, MAYBE. How old are you?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
okay, well you know what you have to do which is a good thing.. just work off it like a list perhaps.. job should be first on the list try and save a little money to fix your bank account. when there is enough that you won't slide back to where you are now start paying off your fines so go to school :) your doing great :)

Demona_Mommy91

PF Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
thanks for the advice. and what I mean is, fines for like books and classes and stuff. and The course i'm taking to get my high school diploma is an indepentant study so i only have to go in once a week for a half an hour.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh! I see. :) Why not get your GED? Is it just that you would rather have the diploma?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I suppose that's one way to look at it...

Don't know about easier though. If you know basic information, all you have to do is pay $50 and take a test. So not really any less easy, but if you feel its less to be proud of then I suppose to each their own. :)

Demona_Mommy91

PF Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Besides, I think it would definitely look better on a resume for work. I don't know, maybe I'm just weird. lmao but I really want to get everything in gear but its like one thing after another decides to stop me in my tracks.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Demona_Mommy91 said:
so i never have to look at my daughter and tell her i didn't get my high school diploma
Also I don't think it matters unless you stop there. DH doesn't look at anyone and say whether he has his high school diploma or a GED (which is also known as high school equivalency, and is in the same check mark box on every job application as the hs diploma, so there really is no difference at all unless you're applying for harvard) he looks at people and tells them he has his associate's degree. ;) So its really not much to do with what you did in your high school years as what you do with the rest of your life, who you become, and what you accomplish.

Demona_Mommy91

PF Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
when you're bumming off your parents and have no job, it most certainly is. I've actually been trying to get a job at target just because after six months I can dye my hair. I look better with pink hair. lmao but at this point I'm willing to take anything.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Its a bummer to feel that way. Not much I can do without laying my heap on your pile.

Its good to take time to appreciate the things that are ,,,, not so bad. Now is the time to let your daughter pick you up with her simple soul and limitless potential. Now is the time to thank your parent for doing what must be difficult for both of you.

Its rare that people start the journey of becoming a parent on the best terms. You have a lot of company in your struggle, your quest to become who and where you want to be.

Take the time to look around. You are surrounded with people who are trying to make their lot in life better.

Life is a btch. But if you don't take the time to explore and enjoy. That's all it will ever be.

You could, if you wanted, tell life, scrw U I'm gonna have fun, laugh, tell jokes and tickle my baby, fart for fun regardless of what is thrown at me.

Thats just the way I roll baby.

Just IMHO

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have no GED and no high school diploma but I did graduate from cosmetology school. I never got licensed cause the school ended up hiring me to work in the office, besides I discovered that while I love to dye and perm hair I actually hate to cut hair, I don't mind the cutting it's the hair sticking to me that grosses me out.

Ok, back to the topic, there are a lot of grants and loans out there and a large portion of your education can be covered that way. I was 19 and a mum of 2 and when it was all said and done I paid nothing for the education, a really good loan officer can help you do it.

Now....go get your GED and then take the HSE test (it's a extra test you take after you get your GED), it will give you a high school diploma. But I can tell you that when Sam decided she wanted to drop out I did a lot of research and discovered that a GED is no different then a high school diploma and depending on your scores getting into college is no biggy. The higher your scores the more colleges open to you.

I can say that your DD will not look down on you because of the fact you don't have either, all she will know is that her mom loves her.

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
Well, you could get your GED, and go back later to finish your diploma. How much are we talking in fines? $50? $100? $1000? I think you're doing fine. Just keep your eye on college...

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I find what helps in situations like this is to come up with a clear plan.

One bit of advice I have is to avoid going by what "people tell you." Look up information for yourself. If your goal is to complete a cosmetology program - check out schools that offer such progams and investigate the specific requirements you need to get in. Email the registrar if you have to.

Something else you can start doing is educating yoursef about money. You can do this simply by going to the library and reading some basic books on financial planning. There are many books out there written for people in situations similar to yours.

A few recommendations:
"Success Principles" by Jack Canfield

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiosaki

Any of David Bach's "Finish Rich" books - it looks like he has a new one out called "Start Over, Finish Rich," but I haven't read that one specifically.