Homeschool or Public...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
meow_173 said:
I would love for someone to expand on this. Seeing that i <I>wasn't</I> homeschool or "unschooled" i was wondering how DO kids then meet and interact with other kids, especially if they are <I>only children</I>. How do they learn to share, and so on what a public school kindergarten class would illustrate?:skeptical:
Actually there are homeschool groups that get together for social events as well as extracurricula activities and sports leagues.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
That is a good question. In school, there are social lessons that not only deal with just being around others but learning to get along with people that we don't choose to be around. I think that pretty important to learn for later in life when we have to enter the work world.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I grew up homeschooled and my father was overprotective and I still managed to make several friends. Personally I don't think I ever would have lasted in a public school I either would have been bullied or constantly getting into trouble because of my temper. I've talked to kids who hate going to public school and kids who thought it was the best thing ever and tried to convince me I should go. I think it depends on the child and the parent.

hwnorth; It seems as if you are completely against homeschooling and that's okay but I don't need someone who doesn't even know me telling me how to raise my children, thank you. Sorry if that came out as a bit rude but it's just how I feel.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I despised public school. Half the kids walk around innocent while the other half of the kids place a great big bulls eye on them and fire away. My kids will learn to share because they have siblings to share with, they will get to know children from 'church', play with neighbors, meet people at the museum, the zoo, the mall. Play dates and birthday parties. Its not daily recess, but personally I think daily recess as a social aspect of children's lives gives them too much of each other and makes them a little hostile towards one another. (Now, don't do attacking me on that, its a half-baked on the fly, while-im-typing idea, Im not even sure how I feel about it. Its a theory ;).)

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
While I can see a number of significant advantages, I have (probably unfairly) developed a bit of a prejudice against homeschooling. A college friend of mine was homeschooled the whole time, and it was more difficult for him when he started college. His math skills were not up to par and the things we all took for granted since we'd done it for so long were unnatural to him.

I also worry about the social side of the coin.
Much of our adult behavior is molded by our childhood experiences.
No matter how many homeschooled kids programs you participate in, they seldom get the expereince of working in a group environment, which can make it more difficult when they have to move on to those situations as a young adult (most jobs - particularly entry level, are cooperative environments). They never learn to work with difficult people or people they don't like - another part of the real world. Having a unpleasant teacher isn't that different from having an unpleasant boss - how does the homeschooled kid learn to deal with that? It seems so sheltering to me.

there is so much they miss out on - both good and bad, all of which helps develop your personality..

I'm sure some parents ARE able to compensate and give their children all the experiences they need. But I know I would not be up to the task.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Anyone who lives in California and who homeschools or is considering it, should read this:

<SIZE size="75">http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1720697,00.html[/COLOR]</SIZE>[/URL][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
The rules are changing... And not just anyone will be able to homeschool anymore... Highly a controversial subject.. but I think it's ludicrous that parents don't need any formal teaching experience at all to homeschool...[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
I also knew people homeschooled their whole lives.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
1 had no IDEA what the underground railroad was[/COLOR]
1 didn't know what the holocaust was :confused: [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]</SIZE>

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Mindy said:
Anyone who lives in California and who homeschools or is considering it, should read this:

<SIZE size="75">http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1720697,00.html[/COLOR]</SIZE>[/URL][/COLOR]

The rules are changing... And not just anyone will be able to homeschool anymore... Highly a controversial subject.. but I think it's ludicrous that parents don't need any formal teaching experience at all to homeschool...[/COLOR]

I also knew people homeschooled their whole lives.[/COLOR]

1 had no IDEA what the underground railroad was[/COLOR]
1 didn't know what the holocaust was :confused: [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]</SIZE>
Unfortunately this is not restricted to homeschooling. I have met many public schooled children who did not know what the holocaust was, who the president was, and a couple who thought the moon was nothing but a bunch of light reflected off the atmosphere. HS public school kids.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
ivybendorf said:
Unfortunately this is not restricted to homeschooling. I have met many public schooled children who did not know what the holocaust was, who the president was, and a couple who thought the moon was nothing but a bunch of light reflected off the atmosphere. HS public school kids.
OMG where did they get that idea? I've never heard of anyone thinking that. I've heard there are people who still think the earth is flat and that the moon landing was faked.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Oh, and I had a natural science teacher my senior year tell me that whales and other sea mammals are actually fish, with gills and everything. The blow hole is a common myth.

This same teacher tells me that there is a human-chimp cross living in Chicago in a cage. He calls himself Charles, wears clothes, and eats his bananas with silverware. He married his creator, the woman who genetically engineered him, and they ave three very hairy children.

Forgive me if PS scares me a little.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
hwnorth said:
ARI2 - I think the "theory" lends to the idea of we should be "friends" with our children... more so than "parental figures" ... I know of many that have done this ... but none that have done it with success. I actually know many adults that were "friends" with their parents and they now admit they wished they had more discipline and parents over friendship with their parents
I don't know if all unschoolers agree with this theory (is this your assertion?), but I know I don't. I'm my kids' parents, and at times I'm sure they will wish otherwise. A friend doesn't impose rules or set a lot of expectations. A friend also sees the relationship as reciprocal. My relationship with my kids is not a friendship. I love them dearly and am responsible for their upbringing as a parent, which is completely different than being their friend.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
ivybendorf said:
Oh, and I had a natural science teacher my senior year tell me that whales and other sea mammals are actually fish, with gills and everything. The blow hole is a common myth.

This same teacher tells me that there is a human-chimp cross living in Chicago in a cage. He calls himself Charles, wears clothes, and eats his bananas with silverware. He married his creator, the woman who genetically engineered him, and they ave three very hairy children.

Public schools aren't like they should, or used, to be. I attend all PTA meetings, I'm an active volunteer in my children's classes, and I look over all their work. I know what they're being taught and what they're not. Thank goodness he goes to one of the better public schools I've seen. I've not had a reason to complain about it.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Wow, where did this guy come from and how did he end up being a teacher, sound like he should have been in the nut house instead.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
You know, I firmly believe a lot has to do with our government. I don't think schools are getting the proper support, and teachers are getting fed up. Those they hire don't care for the students these days, it's all about a pay check to them.

In my hometown, we had 3 middle schools when I was growing up. 3 or 4 years ago, they shut one down, and crammed all the middle school aged children into 2 small schools simply to save money. The student to teacher ratio went haywire. And they wonder why my hometown is dying. :(

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
She was a very crazy woman, but I have had several teachers tell me similar things. I was a military brat, so i have known all kinds of different schools, and I have found very few of them that meet my approval as a parent.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
ivybendorf said:

That is frightening and all the more reason for parents to be very proactive with our childrens education... regardless of type of schooling.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I loved my public elementary school, but I hated middle and high school. My elementary school had me tested and then adjusted my work to meet my needs. Our middle school didn't. It was notoriously bad, with bad teachers and not a lot of resources. I ended up reading books for 8th grade reading that I had already read in 4th grade. My parents tried getting me into a private school, but all the nearby ones were religious and I wasn't religious even as a kid. High school was slightly better, but it still didn't have much to offer a kid who was farther ahead than most of her peers. But I was active in a ton of organizations and learned some leadership skills. I also learned that I came from a much better situation than most people and to be grateful for that.

Ultimately, coming from a pretty bad public educational system didn't really hurt me. I tested out of more than a semester's worth of college credits in my first two weeks of college and never looked back. Probably the most important influence was my family. My parents read a lot and encouraged me to do the same. They also provided great examples with regard to education and supported me all the way.

I am not interested in home schooling and won't even comment on unschooling. But I know that even if my kids' public schools may not be top-notch there is plenty I can do as a parent to maximize their education.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom said:
hwnorth; It seems as if you are completely against homeschooling and that's okay but I don't need someone who doesn't even know me telling me how to raise my children, thank you. Sorry if that came out as a bit rude but it's just how I feel.
gr8mom - If you went back and read what I wrote, you would see that I was posing questions. I dont do things to do with my child without at least a half educated opinion, therefore since you are set on this I was asking for your opinion against some of the arguments, in hopes of an educated reply. You see, Im nor for nor against homeschooling, I think they both have their merrits.

Good for another thread or debate, but I find interesting at so many comments from parents to the effect of "dont tell me how to raise my child..." Yet .. so many of us could really use a 3rd party educated person to give us input. I think a public classic example would be shows like Nanny 911... but nope ... dont tell me how to raise my child. (gr8mom this wasnt DIRECTED at you. you just made a comment that stirred it for me.)

Ari2 - "<I>My relationship with my kids is not a friendship. I love them dearly and am responsible for their upbringing as a parent, which is completely different than being their friend</I>."

We share mutual grounds on this.

Interesting ... out of all the persons here... only one admits to taking an active role in the school their child attends .. Cheers Amber .. and anyone else that partakes.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
hwnorth: Sorry if I misinterpreted your responses. I thought I answered your question the first time and then you asked a similar one which is why I assumed you were anti-homeschooling. As for the input of other parents obviously I accept advice or I wouldn't be here I just don't think you can judge what is right for my children without knowing them or me. JMHO