huge scare...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't if a daycare would take on drop off like that unless its like a moms day out kinda thing

I don't know if I would take him to the doctor, but I agree with the others it soudns weird. How could you hear Oliver but she couldn't hear you. THats weird. Not sure what she was doing but not paying attention to Oliver screaming. I don't care who is watching my child, if she is screaming, tehre better be someone right there with her

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
I don't if a daycare would take on drop off like that unless its like a moms day out kinda thing
That's how I would use it and maybe for doctor's appointments.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
If I could hear my baby crying and could not get an answer from the adult inside I woudl assume the worst and would have busted out a window to get in.

I'm VERY protective of my loved ones and after five minutes of calling, ringing the doorbell, shouting (there would have been some very loud shouting), and banging on windows, doors I'm sure someone would call the cops for me.

I would have either 'saved the day' if the adult was injured and couldn't answer the door, or I would have sent a clear message to the adult that you best damn well be available and responsive when you have my child in your care.

What if it was a life or death situation where minutes or even seconds count. I would never be able to forgive myself if I could have acted and didn't.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Good Wolf said:
If I could hear my baby crying and could not get an answer from the adult inside I woudl assume the worst and would have busted out a window to get in.

I'm VERY protective of my loved ones and after five minutes of calling, ringing the doorbell, shouting (there would have been some very loud shouting), and banging on windows, doors I'm sure someone would call the cops for me.

I would have either 'saved the day' if the adult was injured and couldn't answer the door, or I would have sent a clear message to the adult that you best damn well be available and responsive when you have my child in your care.

What if it was a life or death situation where minutes or even seconds count. I would never be able to forgive myself if I could have acted and didn't.
Very good points. Thank you.

I don't believe Oliver will be returning to her care.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Lissa said:
I don't believe Oliver will be returning to her care.
Probably a good thing, if only for your own well being. A self confessed "worry-wart" (not an insult) like yourself doesn't need any more "what if" scenarios.

You need someone you can be 110% confident with, so you can attend to your own needs, and deep down inside know that everything will be just fine no matter what.

She may be a good babysitter, and maybe nothing was out-of-line today, but I truly believe that if you leave Oliver with her again, you will just put yourself though your own personal mental hell, until you get back home...not worth it.

"Once bitten...Twice shy"

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I would have called the police too, Sha'. I'm sorry and appalled the guy was such a jerk. It's your son! Of course you are worried and in a hurry to find out if he is ok.

When I first read your post, I also thought there might be something wrong with the babysitter. But I can see situations in which this could happen. I've been upstairs with one of my kids screaming away (nothing is terribly wrong - maybe he or she is being prevented from pulling on a lamp cord). I'm right there, trying to get the situation under control. But because I'm inches away from a toddler in full bellow I don't know if I could hear our door bell. I <I>know</I> I've not heard people knock on the door - hard - in this situation.

I do agree you have to feel completely confident in the abilities and trustworthiness of whomever watches your kids. If after talking with her you feel uneasy, you probably should find another situation.

What a horrible scare! It made my heart pound just reading it. I'm glad Oliver is fine, and I'm sorry you went through such a fright.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
You are a good Mom Lissa. If my little girl would have been locked inside another person's house and nobody came to the door, I would have responded much like Good Wolf suggested a few posts back.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
As an in home babysitter, I have to say that when I know around a time a parent will be by to drop off or pick up their child I make sure I am somewhere in the house that I can hear a knock or our doorbell. Did you tell her about how long you though you'd be? If so she should've made sure she would be able to hear you so you wouldn't have been so scared. I would have done the same thing you did. It sounds like he was crying for at least 10 mins(between the time you 1st knocked to when you went home and called and came back). If she didn't have a better reason or if you have doubts I don't think I would take him back.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
May I ask why?
I may have you mixed up with someone else. Didn't you have issues with this sitter earlier for some reason or another? I could be wrong, I just thought it was you. Didn't her child pick on Oliver or something like that and acted like she didn't really care?<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>
http://www.parentingforums.org/f2/being-picked-4287.html[/URL]

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
:confused:</EMOJI> [/B]
http://www.parentingforums.org/f2/being-picked-4287.html[/URL][/quote]

She did address these issues with her son, in my presence. And to my knowledge nothing has happened since.

He is very rarely in her care anymore. Only for doctor's appointments and such. And when I do need her to babysitt, I scheduled it for a time when that particular problem child was not in the house.

I also have to add that my neighbor just called me to see how I was doing. I apologized to her for overreacting and she told me that I was a mother and I had every right to be scared and panicky. I truly believe her to be a sincere and honest person, but like MD said I don't think I can stand the mental torment. I think after this incident I'm going to be even more paranoid than I am already.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I haven't read all of this thread so I don't know if I'm asking a question that has been asked already but was the door locked so you couldn't get in?

JMHO: If my child was crying and no one was hearing me knock I would have walked in the house anyway. I don't really care about manners if my kid is in there.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
A lot less drama. Thank God. Still haven't found a day care provider for drop ins. The only one I found charges $10 an hour! That's a lot here!