huge scare...

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Glad to hear you had a better day.

I pay $5 an hour, for my god-daughter to come to my house, (plus I have an endless selection of female music students...I only pick the ones I know I can trust.)

All are pre-prepped on the rules.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Kaytee said:
I don't if a daycare would take on drop off like that unless its like a moms day out kinda thing
there are programs especially designed that way. I'd check with the YWCA and/or YMCA. We've used both here, and actually liked teh YWCA's so much that even though it was technically a drop-in daycare (and ungodly expensive), we used it on a nearly daily basis for a year and a half. Unfortunately, it closed due to serious financial problems back in December :'(
Depending where you're at, $10/hour may be about right. It was $5 for me at the Y, but Lafayette's not that big and day care rates are MUCH lower here than they were the last place I lived.

Regardless, I think I'd be ditching the neighbor. Maybe it was nothing, but you are better off safe than sorry.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I don't know how others worked, but ours had a max of about 10 kids - and that was with at least 2, sometimes 3 staff. In the year before they closed, their total yearly profit was only $5,000.

I think the reason the cost is so much extra is because of the unpredictability of it. There were several families that used the YWCA in the same way we did, but you never knew when they were going to be full or have just the regulars. There was even a time or 2 that I didn't make my reservations soon enough, and had to take him someplace else for a week (I think I paid $40/day (which was about 5-6 hours) as the drop in fee at the county center).

It'd be hard to run that as a business out of your home, because it's not a consistent income you can count on. Seems like a lot of hassle to me, because you'd have to be available, but might not have any children.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
My cousin, does it in her home, she is allowed 10, plus her 3 kids, she charges $5 per hour per kid. She is amazing with kids! It's all arts and crafts and fun time at her house.

She is making $50/hour 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, and charges $10 on weekends. She can also close on weekends whenever she wants...she just bought a used Mercedes. (single mom)