Is honesty the best medicine, really?...

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
While I agree with Xero, M2M and singledad, that obviously a child's needs are paramount in any situation...I think that a child's needs are not the only thing to be considered. It's best to have 2 parents to raise a child (whether one is a step parent or both are biological), so while keeping a child's best intentions in mind, you must also accommodate and compromise in order to keep a healthy relationship with your partner. Don't misunderstand me, obviously children come first, but never to the point where you completely neglect or ignore the feelings, emotions and needs of your partner also. If you always do that, then that is a recipe for loneliness and single parenting.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
NancyM - Honestly, I think we all said that she should be made aware of everything he wants to do, and she has been. None of us said she should be left out of the situation completely. She knows what is going to happen, and she was able to voice to him how she felt about it and/or make any further relationship decisions based off of the info. I think any loving partner would TALK to their fiance about taking their child more often, because it would involve them. Find out how it makes the other person feel and how it will affect them as a couple. But the thing is, he has. What we don't think he should have to do, is make her an actual part of the yes or no DECISION. It is ultimately up to him, and he needs to make that decision alone, because even if her response when asked was "no, I don't want her here more often", he absolutely should not make his decision based off of that (like not having her more often because she doesn't want her there - btw Klear not saying any of this about you for real, this is hypothetical). He should base his decision off of what is best for his child, always and 100%.

So I kind of think we all agree...?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
singledad said:
Option 2 (disregarding her opinion) doesn't not mean they have to still get married. Yes, when two people are planning to raise a child together, both of them should be sure they can love and care for the child. I completely agree with that. However, there is a twist in this tail. One of those people don't have a choice whether or not he is going to raise that child. I wouldn't leave my daughter with someone who isn't sure she could handle it either. I probably wouldn't be in a relationship with her.

Well, he did ask her, she told him how she felt, and he seems to be thinking about how he wants the way forward. This is probably the only good reason for asking her - so they can decide whether to go ahead with the marriage on not. Her original question was whether she should have kept quiet, and there I agree with your answer - no, she shouldn't have. If she kept quiet, this would not have gone away. It would only get worse. However, she shouldn't blame him for having doubts now that she has spoken up. Unfortunately for both of them, he can't put his own happiness and that of his fiancee above his child's well-being.

No, the child may not be in danger, but the distance between a <I>dangerous </I>home and a good home is massive, with lots of options in between. The mother is not taking care of her as she should. Klear posted in her other thread that the mother is irresponsible, doesn't discipline her at all and that the child lives between three houses when with her mother. She also posted here:
To me, that would just not do. I would not leave my child in a situation like that, even if I had to sacrifice being with a woman I loved to do so. Being a parent involves sacrifice. We all know that.

I have to add, though - in the other thread, it does sound like she is willing to take up the challenge and that gives me hope that there might be a happy ending for the child. I can only hope for all their sakes that it works out.
I agree with everything but I agree more with the bolded part. She clearly wants the best for this little girl, you can see/hear in her post that she cares a great deal for her. I don't think any of us were questioning that. But, (isn't there always a but) on thing about being a step-parent is not allowing things to hurt your feeling so easily. This comes from experience and from listening to a lot of step-parents.

K_Stepmom2b

PF Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2012
CA
While I’m reluctant from posting, I will continue and just continue to give my side –
Do I love and care for C, do I want to make this work, do I want to attach to the child as a birth parent might? Absolutely.
Am I struggling with the new role? Abso-freaking-lutely.
The only conversations my fiancé and I have had in regards to how I feel about the custody situation was the one over last weekend where he didn’t like my honesty &amp; right before he filed papers to take the BM back to court. I agreed with him that something needed to be changed, as it would be healthier for C, that possibly her discipline issues would be better manageable, and that I supported him, “I got your back” I think was my exact phrasing. That was it. NO further discussions. He never once asked me how I felt about being a full time parent, (until I brought it up) because that was never really on the table other than him saying that is what he will ask for in the mediation, knowing that the mother will not agree to it, in which case he will go for 50/50.
Do I like C? Do I love her? To avoid being judged I would say that I love and adore her unconditionally. But if I was being honest (which is what I would prefer), I do not always like her. I am working on the loving her unconditionally thing, but love doesn’t always happen overnight. I’m not saying that it will never happen, but I’m saying it’s a work in progress. I’m not against the feeling, but it just isn’t there yet. Its like any relationship, some you have to work at. And I think as long as it’s something that I’m striving for, working towards – that’s an okay feeling.
And the raising a child thing – as I’ve stated numerous times – still a whole new world for me. From going my entire life, not wanting children, not liking children etc…. to having an automatic 5 year old and such… I agreed to marry my fiancé based on knowing that I am marrying both him and C. I know that there are going to be disagreeances all over the place in regards to parenting, BUT obviously I have no right to make any decisions because I am not the birth parent and what I would want wouldn’t matter.. Isn’t that what you guys are all basically saying? And that I am selfish for saying what I feel? Isn’t that basically what most of everyone is saying? Yes a parent does what is right for the child, as they should… but if the parent asked someone to marry them, asked someone to be a part of their (his and the child) lives- shouldn’t that be something that is important just as much? We’re a family. A team. Not it’s you and then there’s them.

Incogneato said:
While I agree with Xero, M2M and singledad, that obviously a child's needs are paramount in any situation...I think that a child's needs are not the only thing to be considered. It's best to have 2 parents to raise a child (whether one is a step parent or both are biological), so while keeping a child's best intentions in mind, you must also accommodate and compromise in order to keep a healthy relationship with your partner. Don't misunderstand me, obviously children come first, but never to the point where you completely neglect or ignore the feelings, emotions and needs of your partner also. If you always do that, then that is a recipe for loneliness and single parenting.

Thank you! I couldn’t have said it any better.

C is a piece of work. She’s an only child and due to the way she is treated in EACH household, she gets a lot of attention, babied and is disrespectful of other people. (I don’t care to hear how a 5 year old will know the difference of being disrespectful and not, bottom line – she knows what she is doing. She does it on purpose.) Anyone ever see the episode of Family Guy where Lois is laying on the bed relaxing and Stewie comes into the room and repeatedly says. “Lois, lois, lois, mommy mommy mommy!” until she finally comes out of her “mind vacation” and says: “WHAT!” and all Stewie says is “HI!” Well that is C on a constant basis, even when we are giving her attention… yes... I know children are seekers of attention, but trust me when I say this… her behavior is not a normal 5 year old attention seeking behavior- it’s due to how she has been treated.
In regards to the BM – Background – she wasn’t intended to be a relationship with my fiancé 5 years ago, she was a fling. He was preparing to head off to finish his degree out of town, she purposely got pregnant. So being the guy he is, he stuck it out with her, tried to make it work. Obviously it didn’t, she was cheating on him while he was away at school, etc…. flash forward to what I personally know of her and not just what I heard about the past… I see that she loves C, I see that she may try her best for C, but she lives in a 4 bedroom house with a zoo. She takes off a lot of work days to do god knows what, (she took off a week of work to mourn her boyfriends grandfathers death.) Their house had no hot water for a week and C told us probably 4 days into it, in which my fiancé calls up and asks about it. There is no co-parenting, especially now with the custody change coming up. The BM’s boyfriend doesn’t have a job. C lives with us, the BM stepdad and mother, the BM father and stepmother and the BM and her zoo. They live off of frozen foods and junk food (we cook every night and if we eat out, it’s never fast food), the mother violated the custody court agreement and blatantly told C to not tell Daddy or K, as well as Grandma repeating that, (C told us about her weekend, and “shhh mommy and gma told me that it’s our secret, and not to tell you… but I had to anyways coz it was fun!”) – And then there’s things that I’m sure that we don’t know about that the mother does in good standing. She tries to make it to all C’s school functions (of course, because she takes all the time off work that she wants) So while the child is not being abused physically, the court will not see that the child is in danger, and therefore full custody will not be granted. My fiancé will not bring up all of the problems that we know of, as they are not apart of the original filing… most of them will have to be something that we “just know” and leave it be at that. We’re trying to just make it so C has a healthier situation, and gets the best that she can from all parties. Bottom line is that its up to the mediation and the court, we can say all that we want, the only proof of what we have is from C herself and heresay. But we can see all the patterns visibly when we have her.
All in all, doing the best that I can. If I wasn’t willing to be apart of this family, then I would have left a long time ago, I wouldn’t have moved away from my familiar surroundings to be closer to C’s school, I wouldn’t have dropped a lot of my social life to be a “parent” the weekends that we do have C, I wouldn’t be looking for activities, signing her up for dance classes, taking her to the movies, making her dinner – if I didn’t give a hoot… But I do, and that’s why I’m sticking around, that’s why I joined a freakin parenting forum(s), that’s why I purchased like 15 parenting and step parenting books, that’s why while I didn’t write vows to my fiancé – but I wrote vows for C for our wedding, that’s why I have not ran away and do not intend to do so.

K_Stepmom2b

PF Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2012
CA
BTW: I don't know if you guys can see it or not.

But there is a visible battle with words, feelings and emotions here - one what is/isn't right and wrong.
The step-parents (for the most) and the birth parents are obviously on different sides of the spectrum.

Just something that I am noticing. and food for thought! :) Maybe to take into consideration.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I think you are doing GREAT. I totally understand what you mean, and I think you're going above and beyond to create a family like relationship between the three of you. :) I think you have every right to feel the way you do. And I think that maybe there should be a little more communication if nothing else between you and DF. It's good to talk about things, express yourself, and to work things out between you guys. The only thing I think is that he should be the decider as far as what is best for his child. I think you understand that though. I think you probably agree with him on what is best for her. I do not think you are selfish. The only instance in which you might be "selfish" is if he wanted to do what is right for her, and you didn't want him to for some kind of personal gain. And I don't think you're like that at all. It isn't that you or your feelings don't matter. We are just saying, if he knows what is good for his child, he should do it and you should back him up. However, that doesn't mean you don't have feelings or you guys shouldn't talk about it. Maybe he should ask if it's okay with you, I mean at least he would be showing that he CARES how you feel (even if it wouldn't change what he decides to do). I see where you're coming from now. I guess if my DH had a child from a previous relationship and he was able to take her full time, I would appreciate being asked "are you okay with that?". Not because I would tell him not to take her (say we didn't get along so great), but because if I had any negative feelings about it, he cared and wanted to work them out with me.

As for her behavior, a lot of that does sound normal, but I'm sure it's excessive and exaggerated due to her unstable situation. Kids need consistancy. I can bet you almost anything that if she gets some more stability and consistancy from you guys, that she will get much better. :) A lot of it though, it really is normal! My four year old drives me CRAZY sometimes. Blatant defiance, laughing in my face when I'm serious, repeating himself a thousand times, crying if things don't go his way, mouthing off, lying. And he's pretty average when compared to his peers lol. And he's got things pretty much as consitant and stable as they can get! He's a good kid. He's just four. :p

Good luck! I think you guys will be okay.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh and as for the locking you out thing (from the other thread), make sure you let her know that it hurts your feelings and it isn't nice. And make sure DF stands by your side and agrees with you. Even if he thinks it's harmless and funny, you don't. So he needs to let her know not to do that. You don't let your kids do hurtful things to people. So when you are coming home, and she starts with the yelling to lock you out and running, say "No, that's not a nice thing to say, that hurts my feelings" and your DF should repeat, like "No C, Klear doesn't like that, it hurts her feelings, so that isn't a nice way to play". After you have done that a few times, she will get the point most likely and stop doing it. Just make sure DF does NOT play along at ALL, and nobody laughs haha.

OR you can turn it around, plan it out with your DF, and when you get out of the car both of you can start running to the house yelling "quick, let's lock C out!!!" lol and see what she thinks of that. ;) Beat her at her own game.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
&lt;r&gt;I am bolded&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="Klear_Stepmom2b;129318"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Klear_Stepmom2b said:
&lt;/s&gt;While I’m reluctant from posting, I will continue and just continue to give my side – &lt;br/&gt;
Do I love and care for C, do I want to make this work, do I want to attach to the child as a birth parent might? Absolutely. &lt;br/&gt;
Am I struggling with the new role? Abso-freaking-lutely.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;This is normal, also don't be afraid to post. We aren't trying to attack you..honest.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
The only conversations my fiancé and I have had in regards to how I feel about the custody situation was the one over last weekend where he didn’t like my honesty &amp; right before he filed papers to take the BM back to court. I agreed with him that something needed to be changed, as it would be healthier for C, that possibly her discipline issues would be better manageable, and that I supported him, “I got your back” I think was my exact phrasing. That was it. NO further discussions. He never once asked me how I felt about being a full time parent, (until I brought it up) because that was never really on the table other than him saying that is what he will ask for in the mediation, knowing that the mother will not agree to it, in which case he will go for 50/50. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Have you tried to bring up the topic again? I think we all have said that he should at least be filling you in on what his plans are. Hmmm, I am trying to find the right words here...he will always do what he thinks is best, C will always be his first "choice". I know it doesn't sound fair, and in your position I can see why it would feel that way. But the child, regardless of who birthed them does and will always be first in the parents life. It's very clear that you care deeply for the little girl, you will get to a point where the light bulb goes off and you get what the bulk of us are trying to say and maybe not finding the best choice of words.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Do I like C? Do I love her? To avoid being judged I would say that I love and adore her unconditionally. But if I was being honest (which is what I would prefer), I do not always like her.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Normal, normal, normal! No one always likes their children. It is okay to feel this way!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I am working on the loving her unconditionally thing, but love doesn’t always happen overnight. I’m not saying that it will never happen, but I’m saying it’s a work in progress. I’m not against the feeling, but it just isn’t there yet. Its like any relationship, some you have to work at. And I think as long as it’s something that I’m striving for, working towards – that’s an okay feeling. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
It's okay also if you never love her unconditionally...that word creates this image in our heads that no matter what our children do we can see no wrong in them. That's very far from the truth, we love them in-spite of their flaws. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you can strive to love her for who she is, flaws and all, then you have accomplished what every other parent has.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
And the raising a child thing – as I’ve stated numerous times – still a whole new world for me. From going my entire life, not wanting children, not liking children etc…. to having an automatic 5 year old and such… I agreed to marry my fiancé based on knowing that I am marrying both him and C. I know that there are going to be disagreeances all over the place in regards to parenting, BUT obviously I have no right to make any decisions because I am not the birth parent and what I would want wouldn’t matter.. Isn’t that what you guys are all basically saying? And that I am selfish for saying what I feel? Isn’t that basically what most of everyone is saying? Yes a parent does what is right for the child, as they should… but if the parent asked someone to marry them, asked someone to be a part of their (his and the child) lives- shouldn’t that be something that is important just as much? We’re a family. A team. Not it’s you and then there’s them.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; don't think there was a single person here who called you selfish. Instead what was trying to be accomplished is you seeing that as much as he should be discussing these things with you at the end of the day he will always do what is right for C. Either you can live with that or you can't. Neither answer is wrong. I think of all the parenting out there, step parenting is the hardest job there is. There is no manual, there isn't instant love and rainbows. Its a LOT of hard work, cause reality is step parents almost always feel like the 3rd wheel when it comes to the child and natural parents relationship. especially when the bio-mom/dad is still active in the picture.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
C is a piece of work. She’s an only child and due to the way she is treated in EACH household, she gets a lot of attention, babied and is disrespectful of other people. (I don’t care to hear how a 5 year old will know the difference of being disrespectful and not, bottom line – she knows what she is doing. She does it on purpose.) Anyone ever see the episode of Family Guy where Lois is laying on the bed relaxing and Stewie comes into the room and repeatedly says. “Lois, lois, lois, mommy mommy mommy!” until she finally comes out of her “mind vacation” and says: “WHAT!” and all Stewie says is “HI!” Well that is C on a constant basis, even when we are giving her attention… yes... I know children are seekers of attention, but trust me when I say this… her behavior is not a normal 5 year old attention seeking behavior- it’s due to how she has been treated. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Let me, as a mom of 8 who's 5 year old is currently on the floor throwing a fit. What you have described is VERY normal behavior. Hell for that matter my teens love to pull the Stewie moment on me &lt;E&gt;:p&lt;/E&gt;. Children by nature are all about them, goes back to the days of survival of the fittest, these are things that can be corrected but don't happen over night. By the time you think you have one thing under control another issue pop's up and then the teen years hit...oye, I am not sure which age group can be worse.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
In regards to the BM – Background – she wasn’t intended to be a relationship with my fiancé 5 years ago, she was a fling. He was preparing to head off to finish his degree out of town, she purposely got pregnant. So being the guy he is, he stuck it out with her, tried to make it work. Obviously it didn’t, she was cheating on him while he was away at school, etc…. flash forward to what I personally know of her and not just what I heard about the past… I see that she loves C, I see that she may try her best for C, but she lives in a 4 bedroom house with a zoo. She takes off a lot of work days to do god knows what, (she took off a week of work to mourn her boyfriends grandfathers death.) Their house had no hot water for a week and C told us probably 4 days into it, in which my fiancé calls up and asks about it. There is no co-parenting, especially now with the custody change coming up. The BM’s boyfriend doesn’t have a job. C lives with us, the BM stepdad and mother, the BM father and stepmother and the BM and her zoo. They live off of frozen foods and junk food (we cook every night and if we eat out, it’s never fast food), the mother violated the custody court agreement and blatantly told C to not tell Daddy or K, as well as Grandma repeating that, (C told us about her weekend, and “shhh mommy and gma told me that it’s our secret, and not to tell you… but I had to anyways coz it was fun!”) – And then there’s things that I’m sure that we don’t know about that the mother does in good standing. She tries to make it to all C’s school functions (of course, because she takes all the time off work that she wants) So while the child is not being abused physically, the court will not see that the child is in danger, and therefore full custody will not be granted. My fiancé will not bring up all of the problems that we know of, as they are not apart of the original filing… most of them will have to be something that we “just know” and leave it be at that. We’re trying to just make it so C has a healthier situation, and gets the best that she can from all parties. Bottom line is that its up to the mediation and the court, we can say all that we want, the only proof of what we have is from C herself and heresay. But we can see all the patterns visibly when we have her. &lt;br/&gt;
All in all, doing the best that I can. If I wasn’t willing to be apart of this family, then I would have left a long time ago, I wouldn’t have moved away from my familiar surroundings to be closer to C’s school, I wouldn’t have dropped a lot of my social life to be a “parent” the weekends that we do have C, I wouldn’t be looking for activities, signing her up for dance classes, taking her to the movies, making her dinner – if I didn’t give a hoot… But I do, and that’s why I’m sticking around, that’s why I joined a freakin parenting forum(s), &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;that’s why I purchased like 15 parenting and step parenting books, &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;that’s why while I didn’t write vows to my fiancé – but I wrote vows for C for our wedding, that’s why I have not ran away and do not intend to do so.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Many, not all of these books give a false sense of what is right. Be careful and be leery way to many people fall into traps of what is normal and what isn't.
&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Incogneato said:
Exactly. :)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Klear_Stepmom2b said:
BTW: I don't know if you guys can see it or not.

But there is a visible battle with words, feelings and emotions here - one what is/isn't right and wrong.
The step-parents (for the most) and the birth parents are obviously on different sides of the spectrum.

Just something that I am noticing. and food for thought! :) Maybe to take into consideration.
I don't know about that but I'm not looking at the posts the same way you are. ;)

My answer to your question from your OP, was strictly to do with the way you and your fiance communicate in general. I do agree with you, that he needs to include you (which means he needs to talk to you about it) in the big decisions that will effect both your lives such as asking you to raise his child. MAJOR DECISION...and one that he should NOT make by himself. I am NOT saying he should not get full custody, just that he should consider your feelings since you WILL be doing a lot of care with this child and will be carrying a great deal of responsibility. I'm responding to a question from one of your posts.

Some people are misunderstanding my response, so I just wanted to make sure YOU understand it. I think you should continue to keep the discussion open with him. And let your feelings, thoughts, ideas, emotions (what ever you want to call it) be known.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.:)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Klear, I just one to make a few things clear, that doesn't seem to be obvious in my previous posts:
1. I'm definitely NOT saying that you don't have a right to make decisions about this child. Lots of things - like house rules, how discipline is applied, What she should and shouldn't eat/wear/watch on TV, even choosing schools etc, you can and should be involved in. All I'm saying is that IF you were set on not having her full time (and it doesn't sound like you are, but bare with me) then he'd have to choose between keeping you happy and doing what's right for his child, and if I were in his shoes, I'd pick the second option. That I why I maintain that asking your opinion of IF he should file for custody is pointless. Its more a matter of when he files, how will the two of you handle it. That he should have discussed with you.

2. I am NOT accusing you of being selfish. Not wanting children, and in particular not being over-the-moon about being a step-parent, is not selfish. I am far more likely to call someone who can't give children the life they deserve, but go ahead and has them anyway selfish. Or someone who marries a man whose child she hates for her own personal gain (eg. his money). You are not selfish. You are just a human being in a very difficult situation, and honestly, I don't envy you. I truly hope that I never end up in your fiancee's position either, where I love and want to marry someone who feels unsure about being a mother to my child...

3. I absolutely agree with those who say you should always be open and honest about how you feel, especially if the decision is something you would have to live with. Now that he knows how you feel, perhaps the two of you can come up with a plan how he can support you through your period of adjustment, or how he can help you ease into the role of step-mother more gradually. That wouldn't have been an option if he thought you were perfectly happy and ready for this.

I hope this makes my position a bit clearer.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I just want to add a couple of things. Execelant thread. Both the givers and recievers. I have to say I am very impressed how well this has gone. I really half expected it to take a turn for the worse.

That said I really dont have much to add that has not already been said. I concur with SD's entire post.

The only new thing is that maybe fiance is simply not comfortable having a "feelings" conversation. I know I am not only uncomfortable with those. I am not good at it. Maybe (not sure) what you perceive as him shutting you out. Is really him dodging the "feeling" conversation. I might do that, and I think its not uncommon for guy's to be that way.

K_Stepmom2b

PF Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2012
CA
singledad said:
I truly hope that I never end up in your fiancee's position either, where I love and want to marry someone who feels unsure about being a mother to my child...
Untrue. Very untrue.
I am willing to take on this new role. I'm not unsure about being a mother to C. I never said that.
The conversation that the fiance and I had was based on: Would I be stoked about if HYPOTHETICALLY we were to have full custody of C? No I would not. That was my answer. And rather than go back and re-hash my reasons and my feelings which were said to be unwarranted b/c it does not involve me whereas I disagree with that. I'll just leave it at that.

My fiance is in a position where now he doesn't have to do it alone. He has a partner, who is willing to bend over backwards for him. Who is taking on the role of helping him raise his daughter, to instill on her the facts of life, to help her if she needs help, who wants nothing but to give her a healthy upbringing.
So to reference again, your comment.
<SIZE size="150">My fiance is a lucky person. He has it good. Apparently, no one in his family has seen him so happy. So anyone would be lucky to be in his place</SIZE>
Just because someone has feelings, (that are completely typical for a new step-mother from a lot of step parents I have spoken to) feelings that may not all be positive, does not mean that I do not love my fiance or that I do not love C. As long as those feelings are communicated, all should be fine.

Are there going to be bumps in the road? Yup!
Do I have reservations? Of course I do.
Do I wish to be considered? You betcha.
Have I given up? No. Will I? I don't plan on it.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
&lt;r&gt;Klear. I think SD is being empathetic to your situation. I have to say there were a couple of places in the OP's that gave most of us pause. &lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="Klear_Stepmom2b;129195"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Klear_Stepmom2b said:
&lt;/s&gt;
Basically the conversation continued and he eventually asked me how I would feel about it. &lt;br/&gt;
I said, “Honestly, I wouldn’t be excited about it right away, but I would possibly grow into it. “&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="Klear_Stepmom2b;129195"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
Klear_Stepmom2b said:
&lt;/s&gt;He says that for him it’s a burden that he doesn’t get to see his daughter everyday and that for me; it’s a burden that she lives with us, which to an extent it is, &lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

And yes I know those quotes are taken out of context. I am just using them as an example of items that struck me in the OP.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Since the OP you have stuck it out, and taken the time to explain yourself more fully. I really don't think anyone is attacking you. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
They way I understand the situation is that you may be going from being a new wife. With all the responsibilities attached to that title. To a new wife and new mom in one fell swoop. I think we all get that. Its not a stretch to see that may seem overwhelming. And at times (lots or times) parenting is overwhelming. Really that is why this site exist in the first place. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Its sometimes difficult when posting advice and responses not come off as cold or hard. You cant see the look on our faces or the tone of our voice. I think SD is trying to be respectful and considerate in his response. It has been my experience that he is both a thoughtful, and helpful member of the forum.&lt;/r&gt;

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I agree with bssage. I think that what is being said is being misinterpreted.

What SD (remember his name is Singledad) is saying is strictly he hopes he is never in that situation. From what you have posted, it's clear you care deeply for C. However are you 100% sure you are ready to be a full time mom to her? I don't think you are there yet, weekends and a day here and there is different then being there for her 100% of the time. You are ready to be a strong female influence in her life, but "mom" is a whole other ball game.

No one here is saying that anyone is wrong. No one is saying that all. All we are offering up is a different perspective, a different way to see things.

FPN_Trey

Jan 14, 2012
Texas
It is perfectly normal to be concerned about an issue like this. I hear you. It's not personal towards your husband, nor towards C (although her being hurtful can be personal that doesn't seem to be your heart). I think your concerns are completely valid and most certainly believe that your feelings in this matter. I see it quite a bit in my field (counseling) and I can personally vouch for you...you're not the only one feeling these things.

Though I really do understand your husbands feelings of you not being on the team, it seems perfectly understandable that the thought of her living with you guys full time is...daunting. I imagine that as much as little C. is hurting and angry she can probably treat your crappy. That's not ok and, while it is a behavior that needs to be phased out but honestly come by, it is not okay to treat you that way. You are exactly right.

Absolutely! Going from no kids to a 5-year old is like going from riding a bike to driving a backhoe. Backhoe's are not ridiculously difficult to operate, but that first time you see all those levers and pedals it's scary and there can be a learning curve.

I don't think that not being okay with all these arrangements right off the bat is unusual at all. I think that most in your position would feel the exact same way. Kiddos with past baggage can be a beautiful thing as they heal, but until then the wounds (emotional/mental) can be ugly.

I firmly advocate you being completely honest with him. Believe me, I understand the allure of the "lets just shut up and not say anything about it" approach. I want to take it frequently. Unfortunately, it will likely build up and explode later. Then little C possibly learns 1 of 2 things.

1. "If I act like a turd to the other ladies in Daddy's lives they will go away."

OR

2. "Ah, look! People that say they care about we will leave eventually."

Neither of these 2 are lucrative. For you or for young C.

Bottom line, your asking all the right questions. I think that you are in a better place than some of the responses on here that seem like they are shaming you for feeling this way. You seem to be counting the cost. This relationship with C will likely be tumultuous and hard. However, some of the most beautiful relationships I've seen forged came out of some tough crap.

Well done Klear. I'm impressed and hang in there.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, I was trying to be sympathetic and helpfull while giving my honest opinion, but it seems every time I post I hit the wrong nerve and offend you, so I'll step out of this thread. I never meant to make you feel disrespected or attacked. If English was my first language, perhaps I could have expressed myself better and avoided this.

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I hope everything works out for the three of you.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Singledad

Your English is really fine. I never would have known it was your second language if you didn't say it. And your advice is always honest and thoughtful IMO.

Hope you have a good day.:)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
My turn. First, I am the mother of 6. 3 grew under it and 3 grew in it. I do not consider myself a step mother. I am a mother. To all of them. 3 had another Mama, she passed away and I can never replace her. But I mother them just the same. From what I read, I believe in my heart where you are getting what you may perceive as a unfairness in responses is this. Most of us have children already. Step or otherwise. So most of us here already love those children. If you ever find yourself fortunate enough to fall in love with a child.. you'll see all of this through different eyes. For a child, you worry, sacrifice, and give all that you are. It is not a burden, its a blessing. Your future husband can not give you a choice in whats best for her if whats best for you is factored in. No matter how much he loves you or how happy or lucky his is because of you, he made a commitment 5 years ago that is more holy than any vows he can ever make with you. And if you make those vows to him, it has to be to them. Whats best for her, not you, will have to be a commitment your willing to make. I hope you find a way to figure things out for you but I totally get where he is coming from.