Isn't this a depressing world/thread...

ccgr

Banned
Jul 12, 2007
These stories make me sad. I read today about a mom drowning herself and kids in a river. This stuff makes me wonder how God puts up with the human race..

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I try to be empathetic when it comes to stories about mothers hurting their children in the news (even though it is very hard sometimes). It is probably easier for someone like me who had post partum depression to be more empathetic than most though.

ccgr

Banned
Jul 12, 2007
good point, I don't think I've experienced PPD, but having kids now really tugs at my heart when seeing those stories.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I don't watch the news on TV anymore, I stopped a long time ago. I do read it online, but I am able to read the story once and not keep having to see it played over and over again, like the TV stations tend to do.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I read those stories way too much :( I've got to stop.

Read about the man who threw his 4 children off a bridge. 3 years, 2 years, 1 year and 4 mths old :( This is after a fight with his wife.

Then I read the other day about a man raping his 3 mth old daughter. and burning her with a cigarette :(

I just try to tell myself that no matter what, I believe as many bad people as there are in this world... there are more good people.

We only hear about the bad... no one wants to hear the stories of all the wonderful parents in the world who protect their children and nurture them...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Mindy said:
We only hear about the bad... no one wants to hear the stories of all the wonderful parents in the world who protect their children and nurture them...
Very good point Mindy. :)

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I don't read or watch those stories or read posts about them. It makes me sick. And I get queasy over the obsessive interest someone like Nancy Grace has on drawing out every horrid detail and focusing on every awful crime that involves children or young women.

Another reason I avoid most commentary on crimes like this is they often do overlook problems like post-partum psychosis or fail to differentiate between PPD and PPPsychosis, so it is a lot of voyeurism and very little information or compassion.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Since I watch the news every morning with my husband before he heads off to work I occasionally hear one of these depressing stories. The best thing about watching the news in the morning is that (most times) depressing stories are limited and interspursed with good ones. I can't understand people who hurt innocent children. they make me so mad!!

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
ccgr said:
These stories make me sad. I read today about a mom drowning herself and kids in a river. This stuff makes me wonder how God puts up with the human race..
Makes me question the human race itself and if "god" actually intended for all the violence inthe world today

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
ccgr said:
... This stuff makes me wonder how God puts up with the human race..
meow_173 said:
Makes me question the human race itself and if "god" actually intended for all the violence inthe world today
Im curious as to "God", if one exists, how could he/she allow this to happen?

My belief is this world we have brought upon ourselves. Growth does not mean progress and as much as we have grown, we have regressed through our growth. Wheres our grass roots ??

ccgr

Banned
Jul 12, 2007
While there is much evil in the world, there is even more that is good. This is proved by the mere fact that people normally try to hang on to life as long as they can. Furthermore, everyone instinctively recognizes that "good" is a higher order of truth than "bad". We need also to recognize that our very minds were created by God. We can only use these minds to the extent that He allows, and it is, therefore, utterly presumptuous for us to use them to question Him and His motives. This "bondage of corruption," with the "whole world groaning and travailing together in pain" (Romans 8:21, 22), is universal, affecting all men and women and children everywhere. God did not create the world this way, and one day will set all things right again.

Why does God allow innocent people to suffer? - ChristianAnswers.Net

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
It still doesnt explain to my why people are allowed to die in the manner they are .. why 3 young children were recently murdered ... why children are raped and sodomized ... why even my friend had her throat slit ... while her sister was made to watch ...

ccgr - from further down on your quote on the link provided ...

<I>"As far as babies are concerned, and others who may be incompetent mentally to distinguish right and wrong, it is clear from both Scripture and universal experience that they are sinners by nature and thus will inevitably become sinners by choice as soon as they are able to do so."

</I>My reading of that is that its ok to kill a baby or someone who is mentally challenged, because after all ... one day they will sin..

but wait ... its a sin for any man to kill another ... but ok for your "god" to slaughter as many as he feels the need to ?

Im sooo confused

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I think it is a misconception to say that God kills. I agree that he has the power to stop all violence in the world. I think that one day there will be no more evil or violence but if you factor in free will that must mean that there will be no more evil people either. No murderers, no theifs etc...

ccgr

Banned
Jul 12, 2007
it's not okay to kill to anyone, it's just saying that one day they too will sin. Kids will learn right from wrong and they will choose to be wrong. Humans are selfish in nature, I mean watch 2yr olds play/interact. We're a fallen race. I like to believe and trust in the good in people but reminded of the reality everytime I watch the news

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
the news is not a good example of the ratio of good to bad out there as it generally focuses on the bad.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
<FONT font="Verdana">Wait a second ...

"Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death"

Genisis 9:8-17 God made it very clear the the punishment of sin is death, by using the flood to destroy all life.

Roman 5:13 goes on to say that all men are sinful.

So this to me, says quite easily that death is for sinners, yet all are sinners.. then why arent all dead ??<SIZE size="100"></SIZE>
<SIZE size="100"><FONT font="Verdana">

</SIZE>

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
because all die, death is the end of life as we know it. All must die, do you know anyone who has lived longer than 120 years? So if the wages of sin is death and all are sinners it means all must die sometime. It doesn't mean they'll die right away. If there were no sin in the world, there would be no death either.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Do I know anyone who has lived 120 years in THIS dimension ? .. no

OK.. so, to understand and paraphrase... If no one on the planet earth sinned, then we would all live, as humans, for eternity, or at least until someone sinned ?
Yet Genisis states that live was taken away due to sins... all life was destroyed.. not at the end of any life cycle ...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
If you're refering to the great flood in genesis 6, it says they were so wicked that he was sorry he'd made them. Perhaps even including beastiality in their sins since he decided to destroy most of the animals as well. I think it's wrong to equate the flood to a human being taking another's life. I believe I said "God doesn't kill" but I meant "God doesn't murder."

Some people see God as a part of nature but even nature kills. Tornados, floods and other natural disasters. Does the fact that people die in these events mean we have the right to take lives? Absolutely not! What is your point? You said you aren't an atheist so what kind of "God" do you believe in?