Isn't this a depressing world/thread...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
gr8mom said:
If you're refering to the great flood in genesis 6, it says they were so wicked that he was sorry he'd made them. Perhaps even including beastiality in their sins since he decided to destroy most of the animals as well. I think it's wrong to equate the flood to a human being taking another's life. I believe I said "God doesn't kill" but I meant "God doesn't murder."
I'm asking this sincerely because I've never understood this.

If one believes that God caused a flood that killed everyone but Noah and the folks on his ark, then that means God killed fetuses inside pregnant women, newly born babies...everyone. How could this be justified? Just the thought of a giant wooden boat bumping up against a tide of floating dead bodies, both human and animal, makes the whole story about Noah and the flood very disturbing to me.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom said:
If you're refering to the great flood in genesis 6, it says they were so wicked that he was sorry he'd made them. Perhaps even including beastiality in their sins since he decided to destroy most of the animals as well. I think it's wrong to equate the flood to a human being taking another's life. I believe I said "God doesn't kill" but I meant "God doesn't murder."

Some people see God as a part of nature but even nature kills. Tornados, floods and other natural disasters. Does the fact that people die in these events mean we have the right to take lives? Absolutely not! What is your point? You said you aren't an atheist so what kind of "God" do you believe in?
No I'm not an atheist, as for what kind of "God" do I believe in.. my beliefs arent ones which could be translated nor explained in a few short paragraphs. You see the funny thing is, that you can try and "name" my beliefs, but even if I was to say Christianity, it doesnt mean we share the same beliefs, as everyone who ever read the Bible as we know it, interprets and translates it different

If your god is part of nature and controls all nature, just as he does all over mankind and living beings on earth... then would it would be fair to state that you believe your god would control natural disasters as well then? .. Or is that seen as separate.

I disagree with having the right to take a life... I belief we all have the right to take our own life if we so choose to. As well as others lives if requested. I also believe that pedophiles, serial killers etc, do not deserve to live, nor would they if I had a say in it... but that should be another thread.

My point in all of this was started from "I dont know how god puts up with the human race"

Ari2 - according to scripture, everyone will eventually sin, infants included, therefor.. again according to scripture, there "god" has the right to take these lives anytime he desires, as the ultimate punishment of sin is death.,.. therefore it is his right to destroy life... but no man has that right.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Question .... If we come across a dog, thats been hit by a car and severely mangled and injured ... death is certain, but it will be long and agonizing ...

Do we have a right to stop the suffering of that animal... or do we have to wait for god to release the animal from suffering ...
IE- Is it a sin to assist a critically injured animal to relieve its pain and suffering ?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hwnorth said:
Question .... If we come across a dog, thats been hit by a car and severely mangled and injured ... death is certain, but it will be long and agonizing ...

Do we have a right to stop the suffering of that animal... or do we have to wait for god to release the animal from suffering ...
IE- Is it a sin to assist a critically injured animal to relieve its pain and suffering ?
That all depends on if you are an animal welfarist or an animal rights activist. ;)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
hwnorth said:
according to scripture, everyone will eventually sin, infants included, therefor.. again according to scripture, there "god" has the right to take these lives anytime he desires, as the ultimate punishment of sin is death
Well shoot, that's just a depressing thought right there. :(

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Animals are not equal to humans. Please don't ask me why. If you honestly think humans deserve the same treatment as animals, I might just laugh in your face. I've debated this very topic over and over in an animal rights/welfare forum so I know every direction this leads. If you feel like running around in circles with me, I'd be happy to do so. ;)

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
No they are not equal to human, but maybe we should try that. There seems to be times where animals are treated better by their own kind than our children. Most animals don't go around killing each other because it feels good, they don't raping/sodomizing their young because they "can't deal with life".

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
NO. Humans are the superior species. Humans (most) have the ability to reason and think logically. Animals do not. Humankind was created in God's image. Animals were not. Animals were put on this earth to, well, eat. Did I miss anything?

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
OK .. but animals are still a creature of God ...
So, what Im looking for is ...

WHY is it ok to mercy kill an animal ... but not a human. Why is it that animals are treated better than humans and are allowed to die in dignity and with respect ?

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I see your point on the whole mercy killing thing, but I would not classify that as murder. However, sometimes human's can overcome serious disabilities that animals cannot. It all depends on if the human wants to fight through the pain or will just give up. I don't believe in suicide I think it's a cop out. That being said there's no reason to keep someone alive if they don't wish to live, i.e. artificial resperation and such.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Terminal cancer .. final stages ? ... fight through the pain ? ... Do you truly think thats an option? When the pain is so intense that they beg you to help them die ... instead of suffering for another month.
Im not talking a broken leg here ... Im talking terminal illness.

So you, as a Christian would not calssify that as murder ... but its still a sin to kill, or help kill, or take your own life, in a terminal situation .. but its not to put an animal out of misery.

and somehow this is logical ?

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
gr8mom said:
I don't believe in suicide I think it's a cop out. That being said there's no reason to keep someone alive if they don't wish to live, i.e. artificial resperation and such.
Do you think all suicide is a cop out? Even in the case of somethng like ALS (a/k/a Lou Gehrig's disease), in which the person is slowly going to lose all ability to move, including the ability to swallow or breathe, but will remain mentally intact and have full sensation. So they will feel everything, be aware of everything, but be unable to talk, move, breathe, eat, move, or control their bowels and bladder. They will have to be feed by a tube, breathe by a machine, wear a diaper +/- a urinary catheter, and be wheelchair-bound. The progression of all this is a bit variable, so the person faces all this without being able to anticipate when they will lose yet another independent function. There is also an associated dementia that some people get and some don't, so the person also must consider that they will lose their ability to reason as well.

In these situations, I don't see suicide as a cop out. It should be a personal decision. Some will decide to continue until the end (this is easier if they have access to excellent medical care, which is not true for everyone) and some will want to choose their death. I have no judgment of them either way; it is not a situation I am in, nor can I truly understand how it must be.

As an aside: One person who has continued to live with ALS is Steven Hawking, the famous physicist, and the world is a better place because of this. He is exceptional in just about every way imaginable, and I wouldn't use his experience as an argument for or against a terminal person wanting to take his own life. But he has a website (link) that I find fascinating with regard to physics/cosmology and inspiring in terms of his attitude. Here is part of what he says about first learning he had ALS as a young doctoral student:

Not knowing what was going to happen to me, or how rapidly the disease would progress, I was at a loose end. The doctors told me to go back to Cambridge and carry on with the research I had just started in general relativity and cosmology. But I was not making much progress, because I didn't have much mathematical background. And, anyway, I might not live long enough to finish my PhD. I felt somewhat of a tragic character. I took to listening to Wagner, but reports in magazine articles that I drank heavily are an exaggeration. The trouble is once one article said it, other articles copied it, because it made a good story. People believe that anything that has appeared in print so many times must be true.

My dreams at that time were rather disturbed. Before my condition had been diagnosed, I had been very bored with life. There had not seemed to be anything worth doing. But shortly after I came out of hospital, I dreamt that I was going to be executed. I suddenly realised that there were a lot of worthwhile things I could do if I were reprieved. Another dream, that I had several times, was that I would sacrifice my life to save others. After all, if I were going to die anyway, it might as well do some good. But I didn't die. In fact, although there was a cloud hanging over my future, I found, to my surprise, that I was enjoying life in the present more than before.