Isn't this a depressing world/thread...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
You make some very valid points. I don't think it should be against the law if someone in that situation should choose to end their life. It seems somehow a violation of basic human rights to force someone to live when they are in great suffering.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom said:
You make some very valid points. I don't think it should be against the law if someone in that situation should choose to end their life. It seems somehow a violation of basic human rights to force someone to live when they are in great suffering.
But it was said earlier that suicide was a sin... so although valid .. its a sin?
Does anyone know where in the bible suicide is talked about as a sin ?

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I don't recall suicide being mentioned in the bible, maybe I'd have to look back through it a couple times but nothing springs to mind. I don't remember if I called it a sin, I think I said it was a cop out.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Lissa said:
Only God has the right to take life. That is very clear in the Bible.
Therefore wouldn t suicide be wrong ? Your taking a life ... and if your going against Gods will then its a sin ... therefore suicide would be a sin ...

correct me if I wrong ... or if anyone truly knows the answer ... enlighten me

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Lissa and Kaytee - I understand that you two feel that way, but Im asking if either of you know what passage in the bible states directly that suicide is a sin.

Is it in your god eye to allow people to suffer? This is the part that doesnt make much sense to me. How is it that we have the death sentence in many states, and have done so for years... but we cant mercy-kill ?
We will employ "euthanasia" to stop an animal from suffering... but lets allow mom to die a slow and painful death, rot within their own body ...

Who has the right to take our dignity like that ?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hwnorth, you have been told repeatedly that animals are separate from humans. Why don't you understand that?

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Lissa - I agree and accept that animals are separate than humans.. thats not the question .. the question is why does an animal get better treatment...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey hwnorth has a point. When our pets are suffering, the vets advise us to "put them down". yet, it is called assissted suicide for humans. Think about it, our animals are not suffering, so why do we have to suffer?

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Meow - actually, its against the law and is a punishable offence that can include jail time, fines and a criminal record, in some areas...

So its law that we <U>DONT</U> let animals suffer
and its law that we <U>DO</U> make humans suffer... plus if you choose to end your own suffering, or assist someone to end suffering, its a sin and eternal damnation ...

btw - Ive heard many say that suicide is against the bible ... but Im still awaiting anyone to enlighten me with the passage that says this.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I can't say I disagree with assisted suicide. I understand it in some cases as well. I'm not sure that has to do with suicide being a sin.
Ok so this is why I think it is a sin (whether God forgives is up to Him I suppose, thank God it is not up to me)
Murder is a sin, there fore murdering yourself is a sin. Simple as that.
That does not mean I think every person who commits suicide goes to hell. Again that is up to that persons soul and God.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 NIV) [16] Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God&amp;'s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
So then... let me pose another question ...

Your mother is terminal, with, lets say ALS. Shes asked for assisted suicide when she gets a pre determined state. Shes states that you are the most important to her and would you please assist her and be with her for her last moments in this dimension.

Do you sin and go against your god and face eternal damnation...

or do you your mother end her pain and suffering and let her pass through this dimension with dignity and respect... just as she has taught you to have for others.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
exactly. I never said it is a "you are going to Hell no matter what sin" What happens between one person and God is up to God. Not my interpretation. Again I never said that I thought that all suicides went to hell. I have known a few to commit to suicide in my life (lucky for me no one to close to me) but I don't know if they are in heaven or hell. I would like to think that they made peace with God and they are in heaven

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hwnorth said:
So then... let me pose another question ...

Your mother is terminal, with, lets say ALS. Shes asked for assisted suicide when she gets a pre determined state. Shes states that you are the most important to her and would you please assist her and be with her for her last moments in this dimension.

Do you sin and go against your god and face eternal damnation...

or do you your mother end her pain and suffering and let her pass through this dimension with dignity and respect... just as she has taught you to have for others.
My mother will unfortunately have to be in pain, but I would be there to comfort her through it all. Pain is sadly part of the dying process. And my mother would never ask me to do such a thing because she knows the consequences.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Lissa - If Im interpreting this correctly and your mother is terminal, then I am truly sorry for you, on several levels. My mother in law succumbed to lung cancer, and although I spent several years in medicine, its a terrible way for anyone, or to watch anyone pass.
On another side, as a child, loosing their parent, for any reason.. I feel for you.

Its things like this, combined with what Ive seen in the medical field that has me question these "rights of God".... if you will.

I can see you all have very strong beliefs in your religion, and as the saying goes, we all need something to believe in, but there are several points within Christianity that I have an extremely hard time accepting.

Heres one ... a parent standing beside a hospital bed, their daughter a beautiful little 5 year old.... hooked up to tubes and IV lines, and the doctors have no idea, other than her white blood cells seem to be attacking the reds and they have no idea why, possible kidney and liver failure because of an infection thats started... and all the parent cant do is sit there in tears wondering if their Princess is going to be ok...and if there IS this mighty god ... what this person ever did so horribly wrong to rein such a wrath of such a sweet and innocent girl ...

That parent was me ... alone as a single parent ...

I look around at all that goes on within MY scope ... and I think... if theres truly a superior out there with all might control... why would he let this happen ... after all, destruction of mankind would mean destruction of himself, and therefore essentially suicide...

hmm points to ponder ...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
hwnorth said:
Lissa - If Im interpreting this correctly and your mother is terminal, then I am truly sorry for you, on several levels. My mother in law succumbed to lung cancer, and although I spent several years in medicine, its a terrible way for anyone, or to watch anyone pass.
On another side, as a child, loosing their parent, for any reason.. I feel for you.

Its things like this, combined with what Ive seen in the medical field that has me question these "rights of God".... if you will.

I can see you all have very strong beliefs in your religion, and as the saying goes, we all need something to believe in, but there are several points within Christianity that I have an extremely hard time accepting.

Heres one ... a parent standing beside a hospital bed, their daughter a beautiful little 5 year old.... hooked up to tubes and IV lines, and the doctors have no idea, other than her white blood cells seem to be attacking the reds and they have no idea why, possible kidney and liver failure because of an infection thats started... and all the parent cant do is sit there in tears wondering if their Princess is going to be ok...and if there IS this mighty god ... what this person ever did so horribly wrong to rein such a wrath of such a sweet and innocent girl ...

That parent was me ... alone as a single parent ...

I look around at all that goes on within MY scope ... and I think... if theres truly a superior out there with all might control... why would he let this happen ... after all, destruction of mankind would mean destruction of himself, and therefore essentially suicide...

hmm points to ponder ...
I understand what you are saying.

First things first, Jesus died so that we may be forgiven so if we helped our parents die yes that would be a mercy killing but the parent could go to heaven (did not commit suicide), we would ask for forgivness and be forgiven (hopefully). That's HIS call.

I've asked the same questions about God and why he takes children and why he has people suffer. These things are not explained in the bible. It sucks that the only answer is FAITH. You just have to have FAITH.
When a child or a loved one is taken from me, FAITH just doesn't seem good enough but it has to be.
IF there really is a heaven and our loved ones are there then death really isn't as bad as we on earth think, then we are only being selfish by wanting our loved ones to stay with us.
If.......when we die we go to heaven and there sits our child or our mother or our family member and they are perfect in every way then what has our sadness accomplished? Would he still be an angry God?
But.......what if you doubted and did not have faith and went to heaven and saw the loved one's perfect and you doubted God and could not stay in heaven then who is the one that is punished? You would be and not the one you mourned for.
I look at it like this.......we were in our mothers womb for nine months and we do not remember but we know it was warm and safe right? We know that we were somewhere before coming into this "life" so you can not say without a doubt that we do not live again after this life. It could be like a whole new birth experience and this life will just be another nine month blink of an eye and we are on to another eternal life that's more beautiful then the next.
Some things we are not supposed to know, I don't know why. You just have to have Faith and that HAS to be good enough.
Don't let that light burn out for you hwnorth, keep that faith no matter what.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Ari2 said:
in which the person is slowly going to lose all ability to move, including the ability to swallow or breathe, but will remain mentally intact and have full sensation. So they will feel everything, be aware of everything, but be unable to talk, move, breathe, eat, move, or control their bowels and bladder.
Huntington's disease runs heavily in my family (similar in some ways, although the mind starts to go before the body. Everything shuts down until you're dead). All of my grandmother's sister's died of it at a young age. She thought that she had been the only one not to get this genetic disease. And then it struck a few years ago. Fortunately, she was able to live a productive life beforehand. Not everybody can say that. Now my cousin beleives that her mother and our aunt are showing symptoms. But neither will get tested. Denial? I don't know. My father claims he tested postive, but he has a traumatic brain injury, so you never know with him. He tends to lie for attention. I am leaning towards that he's lying just because of some other stuff... but it messes with you.
There's a strong chance it's just stress and lack of quality sleep, but lately, I've noticed things like that I misspell words I shouldn't have or use the wrong form (their vs there). Might not be a big deal for most, but i am a writer. I have been a reporter and a copy editor. Words are just a part of me... so if I am messing that up, what does that mean? I was subbing a few weeks ago, and a kid asked me what 7 x 8 was. I've always had to think a second about 8x, but my mind froze. I couldn't even calcuate it out in my head. That's not normal, even for me (who sucks at math).
I don't know if I want to get tested or not (as if I could afford anyway...), but with the custody stuff going on right now, I think it's best to hold off. But again, if I am positive, i need to make plans for my son...

So it is from the perspective of somebody who could be facing this that I say there comes a point where suicide should be OK. Say I have it. What good would it do my son to drag out my death and make him suffer for years? All it's going to do is cause him a great deal of harm and destroy his life. Not to mention that I am not truly living either - just decaying from the inside out and costing everybody financially and emotionally. I think would make arrangements that when it got to a certain point, I would have somebody "accidently" make it so I managed to get a lethal overdose or something. Because I wouldn't want my son to have to deal with the trauma of knowing his mother chose to leave his life physically (since i'd already be about gone mentally), but I wouldn't want my son to deal with a vegetable mom eihter..