Isn't this a depressing world/thread...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
BUdnkota - I'm sorry to hear about your family history with Huntington's. It's a very scary disease. I believe I would come to the same conclusion as you and want to end my life before I got to the point where I could no longer make or act on that decision. And I can't imagine making the testing decision: I have no idea what I would do. That's such a difficult situation. It must weigh on you, especially as you can't rely on your father.

My grandfather had a very slow, terrible decline from Alzheimers when I was a child. He was incontinent and knew only about 10 words in two languages. He barely could feed himself. He lived with us for a few years until it became apparent he needed to be in a skilled nursing facility. Near the end - which came after years of further decline - he only knew one word: our last name. So his son (my father) would hold a sign with our name written on big letters and just say his name over and over.

My mom now is showing clear signs of early Alzheimers. A family friend who is an internist and knows her well agrees that this is the diagnosis. I am dreading the years to come and wish I could spare her, the rest of my family, and me from what I know will come.

The genetics of Alzheimers is unclear. It looks like most cases in older people are not genetically based. Early-onset Alzheimers appears to have a stronger genetic basis. Lately, I find myself forgetting common phrases and words (I used to be an editor as well). I know this is due to lack of sleep and too much stress, but AD sits in the back of my mind. I would prefer to take my life than have my children watch me decline as I watched my grandfather.

Let's both get some more sleep and less stress, and we'll hope for the best for both of us and our families. :)

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Lissa said:
I try to be empathetic when it comes to stories about mothers hurting their children in the news (even though it is very hard sometimes). It is probably easier for someone like me who had post partum depression to be more empathetic than most though.
sounds like a pretty clear case of child abuse to me... I mean, murder, that's pretty abusive.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
ccgr said:
These stories make me sad. I read today about a mom drowning herself and kids in a river. This stuff makes me wonder how God puts up with the human race..
yeah.............

.......... that's one of those 'self-answering questions'.

if you catch my drift.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Mindy said:
We only hear about the bad... no one wants to hear the stories of all the wonderful parents in the world who protect their children and nurture them...
I just posted a link to a very nice story about an NFL draftee and how important his mom was to him... and it wasn't of particular interest to anybody except I think Kaytee commented on it. So there's a reason you see that stuff so rarely. Because the dramatic is so much more compelling.

And I say that as a former reporter and TV producer. My specialty was "fluff," I love feature work - but people were more INTERESTED in my coverage of gang murder sentancing, etc than in archeological digs or flower projects.. I've been a frequent visitor to the comments section of an media website covering the story of 2 babies murdered in my hometown. I knew the mom slightly, and know of her as troubled, so I have been very interested in reading what others say. 219 comments at last peek. vs 3 or 4 comments about the NFLer on the Lafayette site.
From the "gatekeeper's" persepctive, it's harder to get feature, feel-good stories in, because there is so little interest expressed in them. whereas you can't NOT cover the latest murder...
If it affects the viewer, imagine being exposed to it over and over... cutting the same video in different ways for the 5, 6 & 10, plus cut-ins. There's been cases of news video editors getting PTSD from seeing that stuff over and over (esp after 9-11)

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Ari-
So there's no genetic test available, is that correct?
Huntington's is pretty clear. You have a 25% chance of inheriting the gene if you parent has it. If you have the gene, you WILL develop the disease (unless you die of other causes first).
I'm not sure if knowing in advance would be a blessing or a curse... if there were a test available, would you take it?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
First of all God had nothing at all to do with this. period!

As well he can't stop these things from happening...on top of that it's usually the religious fanatics who do these things citing God told them to do it.

Wrong....

This is Metal Problems!...don't blame God!

I have a friend that says God told him to jump out of a 2 story building because ninja were about to attack him....guess what? He was diagnosed as Schizophrenic, and is now doing well on medication.

I heard God talk to me and tell me to do bad things = you may be <I>schizophrenic </I>

oddly enough, I'm sceptic he even exists, yet I still do beleive.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
budnkota said:
Ari-
So there's no genetic test available, is that correct?
Huntington's is pretty clear. You have a 25% chance of inheriting the gene if you parent has it. If you have the gene, you WILL develop the disease (unless you die of other causes first).
I'm not sure if knowing in advance would be a blessing or a curse... if there were a test available, would you take it?
There are genetic tests available for a few, very rare causes of extremely early-onset (i.e., age 40 or early +/-) Alzheimers. But aside from these oddities, which aren't a problem in my family, there are no AD tests, unlike for HD. (AD, like a lot of disorders, is probably a collection of different genetic and environmental causes with the same biochemical changes and the same symptoms.)

If a test for AD were available, I don't know if I would take it. One big reason I would hesitate is that I doubt it would tell me when the symptoms of AD would start. So I could get tested now and wait another 40 years in dread.

So if the test could tell me I would start having symptomatic AD by age __, would I take it? Or would I take the HD test if HD ran in my family? I don't know. I'm one who likes to have info - I absolutely had to know the sexes of my twins or go nuts. But I don't think I would live the remaining productive years with any sort of positive attitude, grace, or nobility. I think I would just spend a lot of time brooding about and cursing my future and trying to find my ex-dog to kick. I would, however, be tested in order to exclude the diagnosis from my kids (assuming my husband doesn't have the gene - it is autosomal dominant).

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
budnkota said:
If it affects the viewer, imagine being exposed to it over and over... cutting the same video in different ways for the 5, 6 &amp; 10, plus cut-ins. There's been cases of news video editors getting PTSD from seeing that stuff over and over (esp after 9-11)
Interesting post. I've never considered the effect such stuff must have on editors and producers. I avoid it in the papers and on the web. It would be difficult to work with such news every day.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
it can be the most interesting job you can imagine. You have the opportunity to learn something new everyday. You are exposed to a variety of ideas and experiences. You get the opportunity to talk to people who would probably otherwise be inaccessible...
But there is that definate downside. Some people thrive on that (the stereotyped reporter), but most really don't. In it's own way, it's a lot like ER docs who make crude jokes as a way to deal with what they see. You see some of that (especially on the internet forums where news people gather). But the typical reporter in a small market doesn't deal with a lot of death and mayhem directly. I think it's harder for those video editors who have to see the local stuff PLUS cut video of national tragedies. Yet some of the editors I've known have been among those most content with their jobs...